Sponsored by:

if touring drives like winged, ppl will be disapointed but will not admit it

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 12:22 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I think some people do not like the drony noise tires make. There is that very low frequency "hummmm" noise that they make and depending on what roads you have where you live, this "hummm" might become really loud to the point of not being tolerable. I know this for example with my GT3RS, I cannot drive on concrete roads for very long and I love loud cars, too loud in fact for most people but tire noise is not like engine noise or exhaust note. The car got bigger in 992 and heavier, to keep the weight down, Porsche removed a lot of sound deadening and made the rear glass and rear side glasses all plastic like RS. This will transmit substantially more other noise into the cabin than the previous GT3. Also I dont know what anyone is talking about but the 991.2 GT3 had this buttery smooth ride to it. The steering was very relaxed. The RS is much busier. The steering is dartier (in that even the slightest touch moves the car around which can be a good or a bad thing mid curve). The ride is compliant still but much stiffer. The tire noise is quite a bit more. You hear every brake squeak, ABS pump, PDK gears and RWS pump do stuff. Lots of heat shielding noise be it them resonating against each other or little pebbles hitting all kinds of heat shields. All this adds to the character of the car but unfortunately I think some people like the OP who prefer the more Ferrari like refined/soft characteristics will not like the new GT3. As Matt said in one of the first reviews, the new GT3 is an RS in all aspects.
I subscribe you words, reading others i though the issue was me. For driving on the city i preffer the ferrari, yes. Road noise is much more filtered, you can hear the exhaust/engine without having to lower the windows, the steering is not as hard as the gt3 is

for having fun at the mountains i preffer the gt3, the steering is more precise compared with the ferrari that feels soft, gt3 gives much more confidence, i find the seats also better on the gt3

the topic of this thread was that having a 992 gt3 for daily use (to my eyes) is a terrible option having other cars, there is no fun driving a 992 gt3 on the city, just negative things, no fun there.

exaust and engine noises are more than welcome, the rest of the unfiltered noises flood (well, maybe excep the gravel hitting the metalic difusor, i like that sound). I have to lower the windows to hear the engine/exaust noises clear.

Last edited by JoeGT3; 11-01-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:28 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
Was driving the 458 italia yesterday night over the city, at morning picked the 992 gt3 to drive on the mountains.

the ferrari is easy and confortable to drive on the city, the gt3 is not. gt3 is hard to drive, there is a lot of engine and road noise inside the car, nothing is filtered on the gt3 while it is on the ferrari, on the ferrari you can listen the engine sound clear while on the gt3 you need to down the windows to clearly listen it. You can have a conversation on the ferrari, its anoying to have one on the gt3.

i am not saying that driving the gt3 outside of the mountains or at track is a pain cause its not, but the car is not close to be a confortable ride for daily use (carbon seats are superb, suspension is superb, but the hard wheel handling, how hard you have to push the brakes and the acelerator and noise on the cabin is terrible for daily use)

So whats the point of the touring ? just the looks of not having the wing ? is anyone seriously considering to use daily the gt3 on the city having other cars ? cause i certainly not desire to drive the gt3 outside the mountains.

Just my two cents, i am sure most will not want to hear this but i think the touring is just a marketing thing and most ppl dont know what they are buying at all.

Btw, not saying the ferrari is better, just saying its much more confortable for daily use
Disagree...I daily drove a Porsche GT3 nearly every drivable day and everywhere from 2015-today
Old 11-01-2021, 12:48 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

The Ferraris I have driven recently have such light quick steering they feel like video game units for Xbox, even Porsche has gotten lighter of late as well but not to extent of Ferrari
Old 11-01-2021, 01:10 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I can only speak to my expectations of what the Touring will offer me and why I bought it instead of a winged version, and that is the lower profile on the road. When I'm in the GT2 every single person looks at me, it's hard not to with a gigantic wing on the back. When I'm in the 911R (even with 2 big red stripes down the middle), hardly anyone notices. And I love the latter.

I don't think anyone who actually ordered the new Touring expects it to be any more daily drivable than the winged car. It's just a little quieter aesthetically
The following 8 users liked this post by PTS:
Carcam (11-01-2021), Class5Kayaker (11-03-2021), Jonas Axelsson (11-01-2021), luuping (11-01-2021), motorwerksgroup (11-01-2021), NYCGT3 (11-01-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (11-01-2021), UncleDude (11-01-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3

the ferrari is easy and confortable to drive on the city, the gt3 is not. gt3 is hard to drive, there is a lot of engine and road noise inside the car, nothing is filtered on the gt3 while it is on the ferrari, on the ferrari you can listen the engine sound clear while on the gt3 you need to down the windows to clearly listen it. You can have a conversation on the ferrari, its anoying to have one on the gt3.
That’s exactly what I want in a sports car. Not something that is soft, quiet, and comfortable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Finlander:
motorwerksgroup (11-01-2021), peeler (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:34 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

Aside from getting into the bucket seats my 992 GT3 has been more comfortable as a daily driver than my 992 Turbo S with 10mm SPASM
Old 11-01-2021, 01:49 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 147 Posts

This is the weirdest flex Ive ever read
The following 3 users liked this post by RyanSD:
flat6fan18 (11-02-2021), meyerhoffer (11-01-2021), porscheflat6 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmac
Aside from getting into the bucket seats my 992 GT3 has been more comfortable as a daily driver than my 992 Turbo S with 10mm SPASM
Can you explain this because it's very hard to believe. Same car with more compliant suspension and more sound-deadening, is less comfortable than same car with track suspension and no sound-deadening?
Old 11-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Jonas Axelsson
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I can only speak to my expectations of what the Touring will offer me and why I bought it instead of a winged version, and that is the lower profile on the road. When I'm in the GT2 every single person looks at me, it's hard not to with a gigantic wing on the back. When I'm in the 911R (even with 2 big red stripes down the middle), hardly anyone notices. And I love the latter.

I don't think anyone who actually ordered the new Touring expects it to be any more daily drivable than the winged car. It's just a little quieter aesthetically

Agree on this comment, I have a GT3T on order, i switch from a GT4 because I don't like the perception of the winged guy. I daily the GT4 on the summer, because I want the raw feeling, I want the sketchy grip in the wet or in the cold mornings, I want the difficulties with the clutch and the light flighwheel on my way to the office and then come those 2-3 weekends each year I can trash it on the track, and then when I need to transport the kids in snow to the mountains.. I use the X5 45e ( a totally different topic, but that bit of kit (45E) is awesome, switched from a Panamera ST hybrid ).

Each to his own, but if someone buys the GT3 CS or GT3T and thinks that it is a Panamera... then I agree they are truly in for a surprize, at the end of the day for me the appeal of the GT3T is what you stated as an experiance from the R ( talk about epic car by the way ) , if you don't know cars ( and lets face it, 98% don't. we nerds in this forum is not the real world) they will not see the difference between the Carrera S or a GT3T, but a huge svanneck wing on a Gt3 RS or Gt3 CS that can even a kid understand what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonas Axelsson:
Carcam (11-01-2021), pdkisgay (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:58 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can you explain this because it's very hard to believe. Same car with more compliant suspension and more sound-deadening, is less comfortable than same car with track suspension and no sound-deadening?

Different "bound/rebound" settings? Made a world of difference on my 981 GT4, despite firmer damper settings.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:00 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Get ready to see some GT3s on the secondary market for precisely these reasons. The reason given is often "too much car".
Old 11-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Get ready to see some GT3s on the secondary market for precisely these reasons. The reason given is often "too much car".

Amazing and true, when I purchased my 2016 RS a guy drove it 400 miles and sold it back because his wife said it made too much noise when they went out for dinner. This is what happens when some buy it cause they can, and not sure what it really is? Not calling out the poster here, but it happens all the time with the I need to have it mentality. This is why I always wait until the hype is over, and it just a car. It will all shake out in this crazy world of I need a GT car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
michaeldorian (11-01-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I found my last Turbo (992) very "crashy" on poor road surfaces which we have a lot of in the UK. I put a lot of that down to the SPASM which I'd spec'd but also it was running much higher tire pressures than the GT3. Previous 991.2 Turbo S was more compliant. GT3 is running 32 front and 35 psi rear and is very comfortable.
perhaps if I had reduced the pressures on the Turbo it could have been better but FOR ME, the GT3 is more comfortable.

On a long drive the GT3 is very noisy though!

Last edited by Edmac; 11-01-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Waddi
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS
That may be the reason given, but the most likely reason is the healthy profit margin to be made on the quick flip.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:20 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmac
I found my last Turbo (992) very "crashy" on poor road surfaces which we have a lot of in the UK. I put a lot of that down to the SPASM which I'd spec'd but also it was running much higher tire pressures than the GT3. Previous 991.2 Turbo S was more compliant. GT3 is running 32 front and 35 psi rear and is very comfortable.
perhaps if I had reduced the pressures on the Turbo it could have been better but FOR ME, the GT3 is more comfortable. On a long drive the GT3 is very noisy though!
Our 991.1S with SPASM, and PZero's that I use for rainy winter months, even with pressures at 30/32psi, can be harsh. Harsher than .2 RS on Sport Cup 2's at 29/30 psi.
Sport Cup 2's, on 991.1S - same pressures, very comfortable.

Quick Reply: if touring drives like winged, ppl will be disapointed but will not admit it