Sponsored by:

European delivery update

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 05:17 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts
Default European delivery update

I have a 10/11 delivery date in Stuttgart for a 992 GT3. Just heard that they shut down factory tours for 2021 and need to be fully vaccinated to get into Germany. They offered to cancel European delivery and ship to LA or Atlanta. Anyone hearing anything else?
Old 08-25-2021, 05:52 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
I have a 10/11 delivery date in Stuttgart for a 992 GT3. Just heard that they shut down factory tours for 2021 and need to be fully vaccinated to get into Germany. They offered to cancel European delivery and ship to LA or Atlanta. Anyone hearing anything else?
Yes. Several of us received that email. I'm still going. Oct 27th pickup. I've been to the factory during my other two European Deliveries so I don't really care about missing it.

Here is the full text of the email:

"Good Morning, Recently Germany has upgraded the USA to a high risk area, and as such have changed their entrance requirements. In order to enter Germany you must now be fully vaccinated, a negative test is no longer sufficient. More information can be found here https://www.germany.info/us-en/covid-19/2321562

Also, PAG has decided to cancel factory tours for the rest of the year. The risk of workers needing to enter any form of covid protocol is too high given how strained production already is. We understand the factory tour is a very big part of the delivery experience for many individuals. Given the Factory Tour and general Covid situation, we would like to offer waiving of cancellation fees for deliveries as long as you let us know 25 or more days before your delivery is scheduled; as well we will offer a free ATL or LA delivery if you choose to cancel and wish to pursue that route. "

Last edited by subshooter; 08-25-2021 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
JAMilford (08-25-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:04 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
Yep.

I'm picking up in Leipzig, so the factory isn't 911s. It shortens up the delivery experience, which is good because I'm driving to Munich that night to stay at the hotel that has a car garage connected with the hotel room.

I've also asked if they will extend the track experience - waiting for a response.
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
Mr Mojo Risin (08-26-2021), subshooter (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:13 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Yep.

I'm picking up in Leipzig, so the factory isn't 911s. It shortens up the delivery experience, which is good because I'm driving to Munich that night to stay at the hotel that has a car garage connected with the hotel room.

I've also asked if they will extend the track experience - waiting for a response.
Would you share the name of the hotel please? Sounds very cool for a ED pick up. Thanks
Old 08-26-2021, 07:21 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAMilford
Would you share the name of the hotel please? Sounds very cool for a ED pick up. Thanks
München Motorworld | AMERON Hotels
AMERON München Motorworld
Am Ausbesserungswerk 8
80939 München

The following 6 users liked this post by raymort:
HDK 981S (09-01-2021), JAMilford (08-27-2021), jfr0317 (08-26-2021), needmoregarage (08-27-2021), seanhaus (08-26-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (08-26-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,075 Likes on 2,861 Posts

They have one of those hotels in Stuttgart and a couple other cities (same chain) - haven't tried yet, but looks awesome (and not horribly expensive)
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
jfr0317 (08-26-2021), subshooter (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
They have one of those hotels in Stuttgart and a couple other cities (same chain) - haven't tried yet, but looks awesome (and not horribly expensive)
~$275 / night not including breakfast. I think I can do better.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:09 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
~$275 / night not including breakfast. I think I can do better.
I’m sure you can.

I’m doing it as part of the larger experience. It’s cheaper to not even do the ED. But, I’m going their to enjoy the car and do something special while I’m there.
The following 4 users liked this post by raymort:
Eric5280 (08-26-2021), GrantG (08-26-2021), jfr0317 (08-26-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (08-26-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:57 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

Sadly I pulled the plug on my Euro Delivery. With covid cases spiking here and worldwide, and further restrictions likely ramping up it was just getting complicated with too many uncertainties. I am gutted as it is one of the most enjoyable parts for me when ordering a Porsche, but if I get quarantined overseas for some reason it would be catastrophic for my family, and my work would be a bit angry too!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:21 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
Sadly I pulled the plug on my Euro Delivery. With covid cases spiking here and worldwide, and further restrictions likely ramping up it was just getting complicated with too many uncertainties. I am gutted as it is one of the most enjoyable parts for me when ordering a Porsche, but if I get quarantined overseas for some reason it would be catastrophic for my family, and my work would be a bit angry too!

I considered it for a few hours. I’m well vaccinated and will be in the car most of the time and away from crowds.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:29 AM
disden
Drifting

I considered it for a few hours. I’m well vaccinated and will be in the car most of the time and away from crowds.
my plans as well. I will have my booster by then too. My wife was not thrilled about the thought of me potentially being gone longer than 2 weeks. I treat Covid patients at work daily, entirely possible I could test positive simply from exposure and my trip could be wrecked. Just too many variables. Again so gutted. Only upside is my car will be back in states sooner to enjoy the fall track season!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:31 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I don't think that is the problem though. I think the issue is the risk that the government closes things down and restricts travel. Or the restaurants and hotels get locked down again. It's also about being jerked around by PCNA (not their fault) on delivery dates shifting etc.

I was vaccinated also but then I got Covid a month ago. I'm not worried about catching it again. As disden mentioned, I am worried about all the uncertainty. PCNA's offer for a free PEC-Delivery is very enticing. At least it would be predictable.

I am seriously considering taking PCNA up on their offer. The only thing holding me back is that my car isn't built yet and my ED is keeping that on track and being guaranteed the limited number of TPMS and FOBs. lol.

Last edited by subshooter; 08-27-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:38 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't think that is the problem though. I think the issue is the risk that the government closes things down and restricts travel. Or the restaurants and hotels get locked down again. It's also about being jerked around by PCNA (not their fault) on delivery dates shifting etc.

I was vaccinated also but then I got Covid a month ago. I'm not worried about catching it again. As disden mentioned, I am worried about all the uncertainty. PCNA's offer for a free PEC-Delivery is very enticing. At least it would be predictable.

I am seriously considering taking PCNA up on their offer. The only thing holding me back is that my car isn't built yet and my ED is keeping that on track and being guaranteed the limited number of TPMS and FOBs. lol.
Yep.

From what I’m seeing is Europe is trying to stay open. It seems if you have a vaccine card, you are at least good to travel.

The people at SPA said they never closed down at all last year.

I believe returning to the US is actually the part that’s most unpredictable. You need a negative PCR test within 72 hours of your flight.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:52 AM
disden
Drifting

Yep.

From what I’m seeing is Europe is trying to stay open. It seems if you have a vaccine card, you are at least good to travel.

The people at SPA said they never closed down at all last year.

I believe returning to the US is actually the part that’s most unpredictable. You need a negative PCR test within 72 hours of your flight.
crossing borders is an issue too as each country has its own set of rules, if they change suddenly you could get caught out. If I didn’t cancel, my plans were to only stay is Germany, which is a bummer as going to Austria/Northern Italy/Switzerland to drive the mountain passes is the reason I go.

last year my GT4 got stuck in Covid quarantine mess, caused a 4 month delay in delivery to USA because of initial euro delivery plans. With cases rising it was eerily similar (oddly higher cases now!), and I didn’t want my car delayed again.

it’s entirely possible my wife and I might still go to Germany, we have the tickets, it’s still on our vacation schedule. Cases may drop and the restrictions may be less? Who knows. But I wanted to take my GT3 being delayed out the equation. That would be absolute torture
Old 08-27-2021, 12:19 PM
Aussie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just some current info to help with your decision to do the European Delivery or not. We are currently in Switzerland on the first of our four Autobahn Adventure - Luxury European Driving Tours. We started in Germany with a visit to the Porsche Museum, then Austria and now we are in Switzerland. If you are vaccinated when you arrive in Germany you can go to a local pharmacy and apply for a Digital EU Covid Certificate. These are free and only take a few minutes to get by showing your US vaccine card and your passport. This will get you a piece of paper with a QR code on it. This certificate will make moving around the EU much easier however to be honest we really have only had to show it once in the last 2 weeks. Currently in Germany and Switzerland you have to wear a mask in the hotels however in Austria a mask is not required in the hotels. Obviously this could change but at the moment this is the policy. We have had no problems crossing the boarders in our Porsche's as there is no way to police every boarder crossing as there are hundreds of them throughout the EU. We have been hosting these Autobahn Adventures for 17 years and currently it is not much different from a normal year with the exception of wearing the masks occasionally. As someone mentioned Europe is trying to stay open to rescue what is left of their tourism season before winter starts. We took delivery of a PTS Macan GTS in 2017 in Leipzig and it was a great experience so for those that are on the fence I would highly recommend it if you can make it happen.

The following 5 users liked this post by Aussie:
DES GTS (08-27-2021), GrantG (08-27-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (08-28-2021), raymort (08-27-2021), subshooter (08-27-2021)

Quick Reply: European delivery update