Sponsored by:

Coming to terms with a PDK…

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 10:41 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
I think it was in jest in response to the PDK lovers thrashing about their superior status transmission because it is theoretically faster in launch mode than a MT.
Well, I guess I'm not so sure. I maintain that Tesla sucks, and any idiot driving one has to try and prove their mettle on public roads with their straight line small d*ck energy. You seldom see Turbo S or Corvette ZO6 guys doing this, because they know they are fast. Nothing to prove in that area.

I would always get Tesla Model 3s trying to prove something when I had my GT3. Such an absolute s*hit show. Take the hussies home, and plug that stupid car in.

Oh I almost forgot- I love both the manual and the PDK, for the record.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:44 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
Wow, the insults. SMH.

If 2RS/3RS owners are plebs because we've no choice, happy to be a pleb.

The anger and frustration on RL is truly amazing.
Ya know?? Here we are on a sports car forum arguing about transmissions in one of the best cars in the world. Next to a Tesla Plaid, of course. lmao

1st world problems. Give me a winged, a Touring, tbh I could care less what transmission it has.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:42 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Nice strawman…Never said PDK wasn’t a superior tranny for faster lap times. If that was the goal, it wouldn’t be a question. Fact is, many of us want a different experience than what you may find more pleasing. Not sure why you come here to criticize others for pursuing what they want, but you do seem somewhat defensive and sensitive about it. Hope you enjoy your day.
Honestly, I really couldn't care less - if you can't get enjoyment out of a PDK equipped Porsche you're doing something wrong.

I never mentioned lap times that was you. The PDK-MT discussion has been thrashed around forever and as someone that learned to heel and toe 35 years ago, its a very tired and naive discussion.

Originally Posted by python
All an automatic is, is brake and gas. No emotion besides that.

A top end plaid model S or the upcoming roadster will smoke any 911 PDK, since speed times are what all you pleb PDK people care about.

Supercharger network + cheap electricity + faster car. If porsche forces PDK down my throat with no other option, then hell yes ill buy a founders edition tesla roadster.

Until then, manual all the way. Too many circle jerking PDK people in this sub trying to defend their wife’s choice, lol.

Secondly, i’ve already made a deal to flip my forced 992 gt3 pdk allocation with some cash for a 991.2 speedster with less than 500 miles on it.
Absolutely no idea. Buy your founders edition Tesla Roadster I'm sure you'll enjoy it, try it out in Gran Tourismo Sport - it'll have the same lifelike qualities LOL

Last edited by groundhog; 06-21-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Freddie Two Bs (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Honestly, I really couldn't care less - if you can't get enjoyment out of a PDK equipped Porsche you're doing something wrong.

I never mentioned lap times that was you. The PDK-MT discussion has been thrashed around forever and as someone that learned to heel and toe 35 years ago, its a very tired and naive discussion.

Absolutely no idea. Buy your founders edition Tesla Roadster I'm sure you'll enjoy it, try it out in Gran Tourismo Sport - it'll have the same lifelike qualities LOL
Sounds like a PDK is perfect for you! Enjoy.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Sounds like a PDK is perfect for you! Enjoy.
I have both PDK and manual cars, thats the point. There are many that have both. Likewise there are many on here that own Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari - they are not wedded to one brand because each delivers something different. The same applies to transmissions.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-21-2021 at 09:08 AM.
AlexCeres (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:22 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Driving the 911R and GT2RS back to back, there is no question in my mind which is more fun and engaging. The manual transmission haters in here have not driven the newest Porsche GT car 6-speed, and it shows.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:30 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I have both PDK and manual cars, thats the point. There are many that have both. Likewise there are many on here that own Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari - they are not wedded to one brand because each delivers something different. The same applies to transmissions.
this. I already have a PDK car, and the garage spot this gt3 was intended for is a manual. Now it won't fit for the use and garage I had intended. I'll sleep on it. But not offering a manual changes the overall character and driving experience of the car from unrivaled by any competitor to plausibly cross shopped at these ADM with offerings from McLaren, Ferrari and Lambo.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:04 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would never drive a Porsche GT car with anything but a PDK-S.

Just no fun. At all.
Translation: i can't drive
Old 06-21-2021, 09:30 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Went through the same internal battles when I first started spec'ing, definitely an old-school geezer that likes to row but decided at that point to go PDK and haven't wavered since (my '22 build is not locked in yet). My GT3 will be primarily for the track and for me it comes down to lap times. Not that I'm looking to win anything but I am looking to optimize performance. Having tracked my 991.2 GTS4 7MT a few times, it has become unmistakable and undeniable how much is being left on the table here. If I feel the urge to drive a manual, the GTS (and other, lesser options) will do nicely. When I'm lapping I only feel the urge to go as fast as possible, and the mental anguish of lost speed would only be enhanced by the PDK's no extra cost offering. To my own surprise, I haven't once gone back to the configurator to ponder this. The color on the other hand...
paradocs98 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 201 Posts

PDK does get you an e-diff, and they are magical. Porsche takes that away with the MT even though there is no reason to . . . for god's sake, the Camaro SS 1LE MT has an e-diff. More cornering grip with the e-diff so that is an advantage. Still getting a MT Touring though. My Spyder is a PDK-S so others can drive it too, and it is great and I like it, but the Touring is for me alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vintage72:
raymort (06-22-2021), smiles11 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:09 AM
IORR
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Porsche could have done much better than the current manual in the GT3,
I had a 2018 GT3 manual and it is not missed.....
Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by IORR
Porsche could have done much better than the current manual in the GT3,
But, you haven't driven the CURRENT MANAUL. Where do you get this from?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 201 Posts

My 2019 Touring MT was incredible - best I have ever driven by far. I am 49 and have been driving manuals since 1987 or earlier. Thus, I look forward to my new Touring's manual transmission.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:10 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
My 2019 Touring MT was incredible - best I have ever driven by far. I am 49 and have been driving manuals since 1987 or earlier. Thus, I look forward to my new Touring's manual transmission.
Anyone have any updates on the ominous message in the configurator about no MT until 2022 - for anyone?

They are just starting production. How is it they have no MT available for 6 months, especially with the CA cancels?

Or is there a few and not enough?

Any word or insights?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

To each his own. But after about 5 years of not driving manual transmission cars anymore, I got a testdrive in a 718 spyder. I anticipated it would turn out to be a relearning experience. Not so. Even after 5 years, I still could drive manual transmission as if it was only one day ago. I still could heel and toe without thinking twice about it. And it was boring. MT cars don't excite me, they don't challenge me to explore the cars potential, they hold you and the car back. They put me into cruising mode. PDK any day, all day, and twice on the weekend. YMMV

Quick Reply: Coming to terms with a PDK…