My Flat Black 992 GT3 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:25 PM
Agate
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 29 Posts
Default My Chalk/Crayon 992 GT3 Journey

Spec amended 9th June ‘21 to Crayon/Chalk and carbon roof added
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——————————————————————-
Today I have locked in my specification to realise one of my dreams - ordering a brand new Porsche GT car from new!

After spending hours on end on the configurator and watching (probably) every video on YT of anything 992 GT3 related it came down to 3 things:
  • as this is a car that I want to keep for the long term, it had to be a colour that would stand the test of time
  • neutral colour so I could complement different wheels/aero should I feel the urge to start tinkering
  • an interior that would contrast nicely
Trust me this sounds easier than it is! Shark Blue with matching interior sounded great until every second GT3 seems to be in this colour. I already had a Guards Red 991.2 GT3 so I wanted a change. White I wasn't convinced and Crayon felt a bit like it was more 'current' than 'timeless.' Anyway, cut a long story short I went for the following:

Delivery due in August, so fingers crossed turns out great..

The aim is to document the ownership experience on here as many miles are ahead with any luck!

I also have a McLaren 600LT Spider and a Taycan RWD so will be interesting to see what the GT3 pluses and minuses are!

Last edited by Agate; 06-14-2021 at 07:03 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Agate:
aeromax (05-27-2021), Carcam (06-05-2021), GT3 Mike (05-27-2021), nerdtalker (05-27-2021), raymort (06-14-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 01:58 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 602 Posts

You can never go wrong with black. Nice build !
The following users liked this post:
Agate (05-28-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:08 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

My spec is about to lock, went with Agate Grey and manual. But black was a very close 2nd, can't go wrong with black! My 991.2 Touring was black and I loved it.
Lebreeze (06-13-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:24 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm going lava orange. I sometimes second guess myself, though. Black looks amazing! It's very difficult to use the configurator for color choosing, as the colors of some things aren't right IMO. Prime example would be dark silver vs black wheels (they're both dark gray looking on the configurator)... Hilarious bug is going on in the USA configurator for me today, notice the new "exklusive mnfktr splitter" I found? Lmfao
Old 05-27-2021, 02:27 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 312 Posts

Congratulations! Beautiful car and specs. If you are not yet locked and it matters to you, make sure to inquire that you have the yellow stitching correct. 6RD + 00480 should stitch everything in yellow, but in the distant 997 past, a non-Exclusive part would often get stitched in standard color unless you ordered the CXX version of the part, at a higher price, of course. The only options this might apply to are storage cover and steering column—hopefully, Porsche figured this out over the past decade—and it really did not matter to lots of people anyway. Plus, you can easily change out those parts later, if they don't come out correctly. Someone with a 992, or even a 991.2, can probably address all of this.

I am jealous of the ClubSport package.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 PM
smellycat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 60 Posts

Wait. What. That splitter could be interesting. Why do you say it’s a bug vs a new part?
Old 05-27-2021, 02:46 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by smellycat
Wait. What. That splitter could be interesting. Why do you say it’s a bug vs a new part?
Notice how it goes through the exhaust, definitely a glitch. Wasn't ever there before, and on the other models of cars it's not present. I have no idea why it's there now. Maybe the Touring is accidentally rendering underneath? lol
Old 05-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 246 Posts

My RS WP is also flat Black and despite seeing others in all colours i still think i chose the best colour. Just make sure you get it paint corrected and ceramic coated from a reputable company. I would also advise getting at least front and sills protected with PPF. As you say Black will never go out of fashion and will always look good.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,149 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Agate
Today I have locked in my specification to realise one of my dreams - ordering a brand new Porsche GT car from new!

After spending hours on end on the configurator and watching (probably) every video on YT of anything 992 GT3 related it came down to 3 things:
  • as this is a car that I want to keep for the long term, it had to be a colour that would stand the test of time
  • neutral colour so I could complement different wheels/aero should I feel the urge to start tinkering
  • an interior that would contrast nicely
Trust me this sounds easier than it is! Shark Blue with matching interior sounded great until every second GT3 seems to be in this colour. I already had a Guards Red 991.2 GT3 so I wanted a change. White I wasn't convinced and Crayon felt a bit like it was more 'current' than 'timeless.' Anyway, cut a long story short I went for the following:

Delivery due in August, so fingers crossed turns out great..

The aim is to document the ownership experience on here as many miles are ahead with any luck!

I also have a McLaren 600LT Spider and a Taycan RWD so will be interesting to see what the GT3 pluses and minuses are!
Congrats.

Now you need to change your handle.
Agate (05-28-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 05:45 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 259 Posts

I love blue, oslo blue was my choice, but could not justify paying PTS amount considering i love shark blue too. Granted this color would be everywhere, Porsche, let alone GT3 is very rare. Black does look great though.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:11 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 93 Posts

I pulled some phenomenal A1 Black photos off of IG. (I'm sorry, I didn't save the photographer info! I do not take credit!)

I think you picked a very timeless color and kept it classy with the standard taillight!

And with those wheels, it'll look like a beast, even when filthy!

Old 05-28-2021, 12:12 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
Notice how it goes through the exhaust, definitely a glitch. Wasn't ever there before, and on the other models of cars it's not present. I have no idea why it's there now. Maybe the Touring is accidentally rendering underneath? lol
It's been there for about a week, definitely some sort of artifact from the Unity rendering side of things.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:30 AM
Agate
Advanced

Originally Posted by sparkhill
Congratulations! Beautiful car and specs. If you are not yet locked and it matters to you, make sure to inquire that you have the yellow stitching correct. 6RD + 00480 should stitch everything in yellow, but in the distant 997 past, a non-Exclusive part would often get stitched in standard color unless you ordered the CXX version of the part, at a higher price, of course. The only options this might apply to are storage cover and steering column—hopefully, Porsche figured this out over the past decade—and it really did not matter to lots of people anyway. Plus, you can easily change out those parts later, if they don't come out correctly. Someone with a 992, or even a 991.2, can probably address all of this.

I am jealous of the ClubSport package.
Thats a great point - I will make a point of speaking to my sales guy! Thanks
Old 05-28-2021, 03:35 AM
Agate
Advanced

Originally Posted by rost12
My spec is about to lock, went with Agate Grey and manual. But black was a very close 2nd, can't go wrong with black! My 991.2 Touring was black and I loved it.
I love Agate but my last 911 was an Agate Turbo S so wanted a change
Old 05-28-2021, 04:06 AM
Agate
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taffy66
My RS WP is also flat Black and despite seeing others in all colours i still think i chose the best colour. Just make sure you get it paint corrected and ceramic coated from a reputable company. I would also advise getting at least front and sills protected with PPF. As you say Black will never go out of fashion and will always look good.
Your RS sounds nice!

Yep it will be getting fully paint corrected and then full car PPF from Topaz. I have always found their work and kits to be amongst the best.

Quick Reply: My Flat Black 992 GT3 Journey