Sponsored by:

992GT3 or 991.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 05:58 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yojimbo007
Catdog.. acceleration is not everything to me.. but its an area that i don't want to turn out to be a step back from the RS, given my view on the RS acceleration already. I have owned 2 RSs and a Cayman 981 GTS.. no substitute for NA flat six!! plus the weight... So for sure im in the GT market... my concern is going from an RS to GT3.
Wait for real world test numbers to come out on the acceleration. No reason you can't grab an allocation and let it go if you change your mind.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:00 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Fair to say it's subjective. I don't think they're fast. A GT2RS is fast
Fair enough. Fast is relative. A GT2RS is certainly faster.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:01 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
0-60 is the wrong reason to focus on a GT3...or RS for that matter.
MotorWerk.... the. concern is the difference between the GT3 and the RS.. Mind u i have owned 2 RSs and a Cayman GTS...
Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Are you considering a 992GT3 touring or one with the wing? One could argue a 992 GT3 with a wing will attract a similar amount of attention, and in some instance more due to its newness. Color plays a role in this too. If that's a speed yellow WP RS you currently own there is no doubt you could jump into any version GT - e.g. silver and attract less attention.

Regarding acceleration, you're going to have to rely on the videos until someone on here takes delivery of a 992GT3 and can provide their own perspective. I suspect many will share it feels sharper, refined, etc. My interpretation from your comments would be to look at a turbo. I believe your car (991.2 RS) is very capable but local or city driving doesn't enable one to consistently enjoy its best features The turbo gets you to illegal speeds quicker and will blend in more.

You may find the turbo offers the best solution to everything you want. Give it a try. If it doesn't you can simply get another RS in a different color to blend in when you're not in the canyons or at the track.

Good luck!
Cubs Fan.. i have owned 2 RSs. Yellow, which was bought back by Porsche after 14k miles of track, canyon and street use in one year ... due to a recurring problem.. and now i own a silver one and have 5 k on it. Yes yellow is loud .. but the silver is not to far behind.. in my experience.. its not just color imo. Aiming for a white 992GT3 with the wing... i find the wing on the 992 much more subtle and elegantly implemented.... and lack of the side air ducts and fender gills and the extra large wing..make it a much smoother and subtle looking car relative to the RS. Im not a Turbo fan at all... i have tried them and they are not my cup of tea.. AWD, No NA, Weight..... i drive my car in canyons mostly but tracks and City also. Im most definitely a Porsche GT fan... the key question for me is how does the GT3 compare to the RS acceleration wise.
🤙🏼👊🏼
Old 04-08-2021, 06:18 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think they’ll be extremely close with respect to acceleration. Within 10hp, same torque, and a few pounds of each other and the same net gearing with PDK. You’d have to be superhuman to feel the difference...
That would be wonderful if so!!!
Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

The updated engine is a beast. I have the same in my rs. I think the gt3 will accelerate faster as it has more efficient aero / drag and a stronger engine.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:33 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcommander
Or a GT2RS. Or a 488 at about 225K.
Well, tired a 488 for a day, canyons and city .....did not like it... Gt2 RS for 225k??..... Never the less.. im a fan of the NA.. so turbos are out.My issue is not that i dont like the RS and maybe a TTS would be a better answer... been there, done that... its not.
My question IS about how different would a 992GT3 be acceleration wise from a 991.2 RS.. since im taking a step back here.
Also I have a couple months worth (2.5k miles) of experience with a Huracan Performante as well.. which is a rocket ship.. but still prefer the RS’s driving feel and characteristics.. BY A BIG MARGIN. so its not just about acceleration... But RS’s acceleration being marginaly ok.. taking a step back is a concern if there is significant difference in feel.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:33 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Wait for real world test numbers to come out on the acceleration. No reason you can't grab an allocation and let it go if you change your mind.
👍🏼👍🏼
Old 04-08-2021, 06:45 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Fair enough. Fast is relative. A GT2RS is certainly faster.
Imo there is a difference between fast and quick. Quick to me is acceleration, being nailed to the seat when flooring it... Fast is how short of time it takes to go around a track or do a certain stretch in canyons.
I love The Porsche GTs becouse they are fast..and the way they communicates and feels to the driver. But acceleration, imo, is not one of their strengths, with the exception of GT2 RS .. but then we are taking turbo with 7k rpm redline (not for me) ... and even slightly more aggressive looking than the RS.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's the way it takes turns which is fun, these aren't fast cars. Get a turbo if that's what you want, the 992 turbo is as close to feeling like a GT3 as it ever has before.

The other option is to get a 992 GT3 manual... much more engaging than pdk and it will feel faster.
You said it.. Turns!!! Love the way the RS feels .. LOVE IT... Love PDK too ... TTS is heavy and that redline and sound... 😕I know GTs are where i belong... have had about 20k experience in them combined between my 2 RS’s. Im just a bit apprehensive of the 992GT3 acceleration numbers. Dont want it to feel like a step back from RS... at least not in a noticeable way.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,053 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Dont want it to feel like a step back from RS... at least not in a noticeable way.
The acceleration difference will be negligible. I can guarantee it won't feel slower based on power and weight figures alone
Old 04-08-2021, 07:45 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

"My main concern is acceleration !
991.2 GT3 RS’s acceleration, in my opinion , is its least exciting aspect and kind of borderline for a car of that caliber."

On streets or on a track? 991 3RS beats 99.99+% cars on streets for a drag race.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,118 Likes on 2,881 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Fair to say it's subjective. I don't think they're fast. A GT2RS is fast
More than subjective, Fast is entirely relative. I think the GT3 is fast, but it’s not fast compared to some Hypercars - it all depends on your frame of reference (and whether if going fast in a straight line is even important to you - I find that gets boring quickly).
Old 04-08-2021, 08:19 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 408 Posts

Cubs Fan.. i have owned 2 RSs. Yellow, which was bought back by Porsche after 14k miles of track, canyon and street use in one year ... due to a recurring problem.. and now i own a silver one and have 5 k on it. Yes yellow is loud .. but the silver is not to far behind.. in my experience.. its not just color imo. Aiming for a white 992GT3 with the wing... i find the wing on the 992 much more subtle and elegantly implemented.... and lack of the side air ducts and fender gills and the extra large wing..make it a much smoother and subtle looking car relative to the RS. Im not a Turbo fan at all... i have tried them and they are not my cup of tea.. AWD, No NA, Weight..... i drive my car in canyons mostly but tracks and City also. Im most definitely a Porsche GT fan... the key question for me is how does the GT3 compare to the RS acceleration wise.
🤙🏼👊🏼
Understood. I don't think you will be disappointed with the point to point acceleration of the new GT3. However, there are the obvious unknowns of how it all connects to the driver. What I mean is how it all works together beyond a straight line. I assume it will be awesome based on reviews. Likewise, I believe what you have now is already in that category.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Is warranty continuation a concern? How much warranty is left on the 991.2 RS?

Quick Reply: 992GT3 or 991.2 RS