Allocation + ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 10:38 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
- Too busy to enjoy the car...
- Relocating to the city or out of state or out of the country and won’t be able to use the car
- Another financial opportunity which is too good to miss
- Need the money for another vehicle
​​​​​​- Divorce
- New / worsening health problems (bad back..)

Any others?
Haha....there was a local guy during the 991 generation that realized he couldn't fit a canoe or kids in the back. Something like that, where it would've been obvious before you even buy the car. Meanwhile many in the community thought of him as a flipper.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:41 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
One down with three more by the end of the year. I added additional legal protection by "renting" my cars from the LLC called Montana Porsche Rentals. I have a rental contract etc. I'm just a joe smo renting a car from a company in MT but live in LA. I just happen to own the company also. No sales taxes and no annual inspections.
TLDR if there is previous on this topic. Is that what you seriously do?
Old 02-25-2021, 10:47 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
TLDR if there is previous on this topic. Is that what you seriously do?
Yes. The LA Supreme court ruled on this in 2014 when the DMV tried to take a guy to court for buying/registering a $330k RV through a Montana LLC without paying sales tax. He won. He was totally honest that he created the LLC to avoid all taxes. That's what LLCs do (limit liability which includes tax liability) .....He didn't even rent it from himself either. I am just doing that to avoid the issue altogether either at a traffic stop, if DMV trys to grab me or if I move to another state.

Last edited by subshooter; 02-25-2021 at 10:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
fijibubba (02-25-2021), PiB993 (04-03-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Lamborghini Performante
Lamborghini Aventador
Mclaren 765
Mclaren 720S
Mclaren 600LT
Ferrari Pista
Ferrari F8
Ferrari SF90
Ferrari 812
Ferrari F12
991 GT3
GT2
GT3 RS
AMG GTR Pro

But of course if you are of the opinion that there is nothing that matters other than a Porsche GT3- by all means pay the ADM if you want. I have an allocation, wont be paying ADM and I also own several of the cars on the list above and appreciate multiple brands and experiences.
Different strokes for different folks. The only car on your list that I would personally own and wouldn’t find personally obnoxious is the GT3. The GT3 I can actually park at work without the whole hospital asking and knowing whose it is.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Haha....there was a local guy during the 991 generation that realized he couldn't fit a canoe or kids in the back. Something like that, where it would've been obvious before you even buy the car. Meanwhile many in the community thought of him as a flipper.
What's wrong with being a flipper? Is it published in the neighborhood news bulletin? Will your mother find out from a naughty website? Which community and does the church excommunicate you also?

Asking for a friend
Old 02-25-2021, 11:12 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What's wrong with being a flipper? Is it published in the neighborhood news bulletin? Will your mother find out from a naughty website? Which community and does the church excommunicate you also?

Asking for a friend
Maybe....who knows?!

Nothing really I suppose. But I believe the intention for the sale of these cars from PAG or some dealers was for it to not go to flippers. Or am I thinking 911R? On a personal level (again locally), it was frustrating to see the flips happen while I couldn't get a car. By flips, I mean people buying the car only to make money on the car by reselling immediately after taking delivery. They told stories to dealers to get the cars. The person I am thinking about was not favoured by a couple dealers once it became known, or so I was told. I did get an allocation in the end, that's another story.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM
kaylie
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 101 Posts

I think anyone can get an allocation IF they are willing to pay the mark up. I called two local dealers and both have guaranteed an allocation to me but it was allocation + mark up. With mark up amount TBD. Although one dealer quoted 30k above already.

I guess the challenge is to get an allocation at msrp.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 614 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by kaylie
I think anyone can get an allocation IF they are willing to pay the mark up. I called two local dealers and both have guaranteed an allocation to me but it was allocation + mark up. With mark up amount TBD. Although one dealer quoted 30k above already.

I guess the challenge is to get an allocation at msrp.
You definitely need to shop around Socal then; I was quoted nowhere near anything like that. One with a dealer I don't have a personal relationship with, besides buying a sunshade from, but they must have liked me enough to tell me their whole GT3 game.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 615 Likes on 377 Posts

One down with three more by the end of the year. I added additional legal protection by "renting" my cars from the LLC called Montana Porsche Rentals. I have a rental contract etc. I'm just a joe smo renting a car from a company in MT but live in LA. I just happen to own the company also. No sales taxes and no annual inspections.
What are the laws on how rental cars need to be registered (if at all) to drive in California for how long? Any special requirements?

Also the insurance sounds tricky. Do you need an insurance policy for the rental cars in the LLC’s name? Just curious.

Last edited by Mech33; 02-25-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:42 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What are the laws on how rental cars need to be registered (if at all) to drive in California for how long? Any special requirements?

Also the insurance sounds tricky. Do you need an insurance policy for the rental cars in the LLC’s name? Just curious.
No idea on your first question. I am really not concerned with that in my situation since I am renting the car to myself. I am not going to sue myself. There is no public interface or exposure. My company is not going to be audited since I have zero income and rent it to myself for $1/year. I have to file a form in Montana called a DER-1. (Disregard Entity). It's $20/year and takes 2 minutes online.

Second question: I was totally up front with my insurance company (USAA). I added the LLC as an "interested party", told them the company was owned by me, registered in the LLC's name and titled in Montana but garaged in LA. No issue. I pay the insurance rate for LA which is among the highest in the country.

Last edited by subshooter; 02-25-2021 at 12:46 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by subshooter:
fijibubba (02-25-2021), goin2drt (02-25-2021), PiB993 (04-03-2021), usctrojanGT3 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,206 Posts

No idea on your first question. I am really not concerned with that in my situation since I am renting the car to myself. I am not going to sue myself. There is no public interface or exposure. My company is not going to be audited since I have zero income and rent it to myself for $1/year. I have to file a form in Montana called a DER-1. (Disregard Entity). It's $20/year and takes 2 minutes online.

Second question: I was totally up front with my insurance company (USAA). I added the LLC as an "interested party", told them it was registered in the LLC's name and titled in Montana but garaged in LA. No issue. I pay the insurance rate for LA which is among the highest in the country.
I did the same thing but the RL moral police will start coming after us. haha I've used my Montana LLC for many years and have even been pulled over for speeding without any drama other than getting a regular speeding ticket.
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

People agonize over GT3 ADM's... but have you guys seen civic type R "market adjustments"

Name:  photo13.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  460.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
IrrationalCPA (04-08-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 615 Likes on 377 Posts

My question is related to what happens if it is discovered that the car is located in California and driving on the public roads for more than some threshold that would normally then require California registration. If there was no rule about rental cars needing to be registered in California to drive on public roads more than some duration, then no concern. If there is, then I'd be curious what the recourse is by California if it ends up being a discovered problem. Sounds like a unique situation given the "rental car" status.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:16 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 738 Likes on 403 Posts

Asking for a friend
Nothing wrong with flipping. Just say you are flipping. It is the dude that will swear up and down he isn't flipping but had no idea it didn't have a back seat, really? This was an actual example on a new GT4 purchase that he was selling with "delivery miles". I think he was ridiculed right out of RL for lying, NOT FLIPPING.

Hell it is just a car. If I got one at MSRP and then all of a sudden some crazy trend took off and you could flip it for $50K or something then right on, flip away. Just don't say you had no idea it didn't have back seats so you needed to "sell" the car.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:17 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

People agonize over GT3 ADM's... but have you guys seen civic type R "market adjustments"

Attachment 1320273
Haha, that's a good one. Galpin was getting 50k for GT350Rs in '16. I'm sure they're getting at least that for 500s now.

Quick Reply: Allocation + ADM?