Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3 Touring Waiting Room

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 07:13 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,029 Likes on 428 Posts

I wonder if the swan necks for the standard GT3 could be removed for a wingless look. I know access to the mounting points will be fun to try to get to, but I would think it is rather easy to wing delete while not looking like something is missing (a la GT3RS wing delete). Might just require some mounts that sit flush with the top of the deck lid so there are no holes left behind. Could be a discount Touring option.

Now I’m sure it’s not ideal for aero, but most keep theirs below 100mph most of the time anyway...
The following users liked this post:
Bartleby7334 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 07:26 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Any of you guys in here have a 991.2 touring currently? I like certain aspects of the 992, but can't see a car being any better than the one I have.
I get this. I'll make the change mostly because I'm not in love with the spec on my car (bought used). But based on what I know today, I don't find the upgrade all that compelling. If I loved my current car, I'd stand pat. I love the touring as a car just not my particular example. I'll be happy to get exactly what I want plus some of the updates are interesting.

Last edited by tstafford; 02-17-2021 at 07:29 AM.
rhk118 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 AM
phow
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 114 Posts

IMO, if you have a 991 GT3T, you are likely not taking the car to the limit ever weekend and therefore likely won’t notice many of the performance improvements of the new 992.

Unless you are in love with the looks or just want to have the latest-greatest... I don’t see a compelling reason to upgrade. Hopefully when the touring is announced there will be some other goodies this time around (e.g. rear seat option) that make the jump a bit more compelling.

I for one think the 991 is by far a prettier car and don’t plan to move over to the 992 for this first generation. But I’m still open to changing my mind should a more compelling package be offered this time around.
The following 6 users liked this post by phow:
911frostys (03-02-2021), BrntRubber (02-17-2021), JC3 (02-17-2021), NDGal (02-17-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-17-2021), rhk118 (02-17-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 AM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Any of you guys in here have a 991.2 touring currently? I like certain aspects of the 992, but can't see a car being any better than the one I have.
Originally Posted by USAGiles
Me either Tony. Don't see a reason to upgrade.
Originally Posted by tstafford
I get this. I'll make the change mostly because I'm not in love with the spec on my car (bought used). But based on what I know today, I don't find the upgrade all that compelling. If I loved my current car, I'd stand pat. I love the touring as a car just not my particular example. I'll be happy to get exactly what I want plus some of the updates are interesting.
Agree with all. Bought my 991.2 GT3T used but am absolutely in love with the thing and it has a great spec for me, and don't see the 992 as a significant upgrade as I don't have any tracks nearby...However I can see the only way I'd like mine more is if I was able to spec it myself and had that anticipation of having to wait for it and take delivery (well and auto high beams LOL).

Currently in the throes of indecision over the new one...I do have a deposit down for a 992 GT3 allocation at a nearby dealer I have no history with, which means likely zero chance of actually seeing that materialize. My biggest fear after watching everything about this car I could imbibe yesterday is that some miracle happens and I'm given a build slot for this year, because for me I don't think the upgrade is worth it, but getting to build my own, "newest" and best tech...well there's the rub (I think this feeling is my answer, be happy with what you have)...But there is a part of me that wants the new one for the amount of engineering passion and work that goes into these cars, the palpable enthusiasm they all have for designing and building them, much respect AP and team....

If Porsche holds true to "everyone who wants one will get one" then I imagine it would not be this year of production which would give some time to see the real world reviews of the 992, hopefully get to see or drive one in person, Porsche can perhaps fix any gremlins that may pop up (but lets be realistic, I think they test their cars and shake them out more than any other brand), and will have another year of driving this one under my belt. Maybe then I'd have the spec my own bug out of my system, and would likely regret getting rid of this one down the road. And if no allocation were to materialize for sure I will be able to pick one up from a flipper, just like I got this one! But yeah touring, manual.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:06 AM
911Vintage
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Quick PS to get an idea...

The following 3 users liked this post by 911Vintage:
diss7 (02-25-2021), GTeaTree (02-17-2021), UncleDude (02-28-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 AM
JC3
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Vintage

I just want an option to paint that front bumper!!!
Old 02-17-2021, 09:40 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 368 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3
I just want an option to paint that front bumper!!!
Quick PS based on that quick PS- but hmmm painted from bumper I'm not sure about. Almost makes it look more "cat-fish." I'm starting to think the 3/4 angle just isn't the best angle of the car. The front end design is more appealing from direct-on.

I have a feeling for the 992 Touring it will become even more of its own model than with the 991.2 generation. I could see custom leather options as standard, and maybe other bespoke body details besides a new decklid?

Last edited by Carrara Design; 02-17-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carrara Design:
911Vintage (02-17-2021), jayhawkai (04-06-2021), JC3 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:46 AM
phow
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
Agree with all. Bought my 991.2 GT3T used but am absolutely in love with the thing and it has a great spec for me, and don't see the 992 as a significant upgrade as I don't have any tracks nearby...However I can see the only way I'd like mine more is if I was able to spec it myself and had that anticipation of having to wait for it and take delivery (well and auto high beams LOL).

Currently in the throes of indecision over the new one...I do have a deposit down for a 992 GT3 allocation at a nearby dealer I have no history with, which means likely zero chance of actually seeing that materialize. My biggest fear after watching everything about this car I could imbibe yesterday is that some miracle happens and I'm given a build slot for this year, because for me I don't think the upgrade is worth it, but getting to build my own, "newest" and best tech...well there's the rub (I think this feeling is my answer, be happy with what you have)...But there is a part of me that wants the new one for the amount of engineering passion and work that goes into these cars, the palpable enthusiasm they all have for designing and building them, much respect AP and team....

If Porsche holds true to "everyone who wants one will get one" then I imagine it would not be this year of production which would give some time to see the real world reviews of the 992, hopefully get to see or drive one in person, Porsche can perhaps fix any gremlins that may pop up (but lets be realistic, I think they test their cars and shake them out more than any other brand), and will have another year of driving this one under my belt. Maybe then I'd have the spec my own bug out of my system, and would likely regret getting rid of this one down the road. And if no allocation were to materialize for sure I will be able to pick one up from a flipper, just like I got this one! But yeah touring, manual.
I agree with much of what you expressed here. I generally feel the same way and that's why I always have a "sit and wait" rule when it comes to purchases like these. Whether it's a car, a new watch, or whatever.. I'll just sit on it for a while and see if it still interests me once it's been on the market for 3, 6, 12 months. If it does, then I know it's for me. If not, then I dodged a hype bullet.

Originally Posted by 911Vintage

I'm not going to lie, this looks pretty damn good. I'm sort of realizing now that I really don't care for the new wing...
The following 2 users liked this post by phow:
AlexCeres (02-17-2021), rhk118 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:57 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Is the Touring suspension setting any different than a regular GT3? (is it softer?)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 AM
JC3
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrara Design
Quick PS based on that quick PS- but hmmm painted from bumper I'm not sure about. Almost makes it look more "cat-fish." I'm starting to think the 3/4 angle just isn't the best angle of the car. The front end design is more appealing from direct-on.

I have a feeling for the 992 Touring it will become even more of its own model than with the 991.2 generation. I could see custom leather options as standard, and maybe other bespoke body details besides a new decklid?
Yeah hard to say, hoping they have different options like the regular 911s w/ the sport design package. Maybe all black is the way to go with this design to hide all its quirks.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
This makes perfect sense to me. That's how I felt after I bought Groer's gelbgrun GT3... awesome car, but just not my ideal spec and so I was constantly thinking "ok what am I getting next"? I really wanted signal yellow, really wanted houndstooth and the black trim... took me months to get my wheels from HRE. What would I spec? The exact same car? Of course I'm saying this now, but I really think this will be the first new gen that I'm not bugging the crap out of the guys at Hennessy to get for me.
tstafford (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:09 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 278 Likes on 149 Posts

To my eyes, the 992 GT3 needs the rear wing to balance out the aggressive front. I’m not enamored with the digital interior either. I’ll be keeping my 991.2 Touring.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:33 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the new GT3, I think they've tried to make it more like the Cup car, with lots of nod's to the RSR, and that's a good thing; but the new GT3 specific front and rear would undo the Touring's 'stealth gt3' appeal, it'd be cool if the touring package came with its own understated bumper design.
The following 2 users liked this post by PantsFire:
diss7 (02-19-2021), NDGal (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118

Actually ordering one to spec *exactly* as I wanted it was a bucket lust item for me. That and PEC delivery. Gotta be honest, it’s like a drug.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bartleby7334:
AlexCeres (02-17-2021), rhk118 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:54 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,256 Posts

It's common theme that whenever a new gen is released, every owner of the now previous gen says something similar to "It's not any better than mine" or "not worth the upgrade" or "I like the aesthetics of mine better" or "the incremental power increase is negligible" etc etc.

I've done this too, it's human nature to defend your current possessions as to help talk yourself out of spending more ridiculous money on the next car....but as Porsche enthusiasts, let's be honest here, how often has Porsche released a new gen and it not been an incredible successor? 17 seconds off the previous gen 'Ring time? Quicker than the 4 year old GT3RS? Incremental improvements my ***. This new gen is an incredible improvement on paper already. And just wait for the driving reviews in the next month or two. The only valid argument one can have is aesthetics, because subjective. All the other reasons are feel better excuses.

The following 7 users liked this post by PTS:
96redLT4 (02-18-2021), BlazinPond (03-17-2021), Bobby 911 (02-20-2021), dave2020 (02-18-2021), impex4 (02-25-2021), TYPE911 (02-17-2021), UncleDude (02-28-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 Touring Waiting Room