Sponsored by:

992 Sports Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022 | 01:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by GrantG; 12-15-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2022 | 02:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apolo1
I know a fair bit about about the back ground on this car and the tech behind it, had a good chat with the chaps at GFS this year. The way in which it was explained to me was that if you like to actually drive you cars, as press on a bit, out of the 4 Cxx cars this is the one to have. I have driven a friends new car, it drives like no other 992s that I own or driven. If anything the way it drove on the back end reminded me of 930s Turbos that I used to own in the early 80s, So looking forwards to my car.

Glad its got the tech behind it naturally, and he (Tech) compared it directly to a 930 Turbo with an extra few hundred HP...so that should provide to be fun in that sense and seems like its right on with your commentary! It's still without a doubt the most wild of the heritage cars given the specs, though the upcoming ST if that counts vs motorsport devision seems like it would make for an interesting comparison when it's out. For those that put miles on the SC, I have no doubt it's going to be fun...maybe Im just stuck in my admiration for the gt2 style suspension and diff setups from the 996-991.2 as far as how I like a rwd high performance turbo platform car and this is squarely in a different place purpose wise.

Who of you guys are planning on doing some real touring with yours? Do you see this as a special daily driver or an occasion car or?
Old 12-15-2022 | 02:12 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

I know a fair bit about about the back ground on this car and the tech behind it, had a good chat with the chaps at GFS this year. The way in which it was explained to me was that if you like to actually drive you cars, as press on a bit, out of the 4 Cxx cars this is the one to have. I have driven a friends new car, it drives like no other 992s that I own or driven. If anything the way it drove on the back end reminded me of 930s Turbos that I used to own in the early 80s, So looking forwards to my car.
Now this has me drooling.
Old 12-15-2022 | 04:37 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Glad its got the tech behind it naturally, and he (Tech) compared it directly to a 930 Turbo with an extra few hundred HP...so that should provide to be fun in that sense and seems like its right on with your commentary! It's still without a doubt the most wild of the heritage cars given the specs, though the upcoming ST if that counts vs motorsport devision seems like it would make for an interesting comparison when it's out. For those that put miles on the SC, I have no doubt it's going to be fun...maybe Im just stuck in my admiration for the gt2 style suspension and diff setups from the 996-991.2 as far as how I like a rwd high performance turbo platform car and this is squarely in a different place purpose wise.

Who of you guys are planning on doing some real touring with yours? Do you see this as a special daily driver or an occasion car or?
i plan to drive mine, or, actually, my wife does. Buying it for her. Glad it has no LSD, which, when i grew up, was better known as ‘Positraction.’ Keeps her from doing 2-wheel burnouts
The following users liked this post:
JAM2 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-15-2022 | 05:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the porsche.com site, it shows real LSD on the Sport Classic under Technical Specs, then Transmission:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...sport-classic/

Last edited by GrantG; 12-15-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2022 | 06:05 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
On the porsche.com site, it shows real LSD on the Sport Classic under Technical Specs, then Transmission:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...sport-classic/

This is what I thought it was, but not the full trick E diff that they have in the PDK cars. But this SC does have its own unique settings for this, as to why it felt a bit more playful . Same for EPAS, RWS and Damping all unique set up to the SC.
Old 12-15-2022 | 06:14 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Your tech chap is correct, the 4 speed 930 Turbo is a good example. As for driving, I was hoping that my GT3 Touring was going to be a bit more road bias than what the wing car was bit like 991.2 Speedster, but to me they both feel the same aside to the fitting of Pzeros over Cup 2s. So whist my SC wont be a daily I will use it for some Touring trips, plan a 400 mile round trip on some of my Fav roads as soon as i have it. For me its the best looking road 911 for a very long time.
Old 12-15-2022 | 06:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is what I thought it was, but not the full trick E diff that they have in the PDK cars. But this SC does have its own unique settings for this, as to why it felt a bit more playful . Same for EPAS, RWS and Damping all unique set up to the SC.
Correct - it's the same LSD as in all the Manual tranny cars in the 992/982 lineup (standard in the GT cars, GTS models, and 911T and optional in the others). The locking ratios on power and overrun are different on different models (and on the GT3 RS, you can adjust them from the steering wheel).

Last edited by GrantG; 12-15-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2022 | 06:49 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
Correct - it's the same LSD as in all the Manual tranny cars in the 992/982 lineup (standard in the GT cars, GTS models, and 911T and optional in the others). The locking ratios on power and overrun are different on different models (and on the GT3 RS, you can adjust them from the steering wheel).
so much for sechsgang’s PDI expert

Last edited by Grunspan; 12-15-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2022 | 08:07 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunspan

He was able to fully spin one rear wheel without the other wheel moving when up in the air for the SC, which seemed strange to him, and me as well. Has anyone done that on a 992 GTS? Definitely curious! I guess a mechanical differential is also a different animal than a limited slip differential, which had been the diff of choice in the earlier RWD big boy turbocharged models past the 996. My tech will likely have not the one wrong here, when he said he was surprised it didn't have an LSD I then likely thought it meant open when he talked about the wheel spinning in air or the drive characteristics.

Last edited by sechsgang; 12-15-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2022 | 08:09 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunspan
It's not the PDI you're thinking about ..,. totally different acronym, and don't ask.
Old 12-15-2022 | 08:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

He was able to fully spin one rear wheel without the other wheel moving when up in the air for the SC, which seemed strange to him, and me as well. Has anyone done that on a 992 GTS? Definitely curious! I guess a mechanical differential is also a different animal than a limited slip differential, which had been the diff of choice in the earlier RWD big boy turbo models. My tech will likely have not the one wrong here, when he said he was surprised it didn't have an LSD I then likely thought it meant open when he talked about the wheel spinning in air or the drive characteristics.
Yes, you can turn the wheels independently - not a sign of open diff on modern cars.
Old 12-16-2022 | 02:22 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=sechsgang;18518252
Who of you guys are planning on doing some real touring with yours? Do you see this as a special daily driver or an occasion car or?[/QUOTE]

We’re planning to use ours. Not daily, but for tours and road trips it’s looking like a great package. We’re putting on several hundred miles during a week long loop in Europe before shipping it home to the US. Can’t wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by mathfuzzy:
DCGarage (12-26-2022), JAM2 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 08:59 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

is the 7 speed gearbox based on the PDK box or a further development of the good old trusted 6 speed?
Old 12-16-2022 | 12:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschemeister
is the 7 speed gearbox based on the PDK box or a further development of the good old trusted 6 speed?
the former
The following users liked this post:
porschemeister (12-16-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Sports Classic