Back seats are the only reason I'm getting a GTS instead of a GT3
...and they are useful to you?
Old 01-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Nas
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
...and they are useful to you?
I need the option to take my kids around when the SUV is not available. Don't have the space for a third car, so I want a fun car with a back seat.

Last edited by Nas; 01-07-2021 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nas:
AlexCeres (01-08-2021), Rxpert (01-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Hm, I wonder if 992 sales are a bit slower than expected? Why would Porsche otherwise push out 3 very interesting versions in 5 months? Why not drag it out for a bit? For instance, let the GTS out in May and wait at least another 6 months until Touring intro.
It's actually the converse.
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:08 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
I need the option to take my kids around when the SUV is not available. Don't have the space for a third car, so I want a fun car with a back seat.
Correct me if I am wrong, but in past GT3 models all the rear seat belt anchors are still installed on the chassis. You would need to source the bottom seats which are velcroed on, the tilting backseats, along with seat belts to complete the install. Below is a GT3 RS 991.1 with rear panels/carpet removed, upper anchors are circled. You even get the rear airbag head side curtains.

GT3 RS rear 991.1 All seat belt anchors are built into the chassis
Old 01-07-2021, 03:39 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

@ipse dixit So how does that make sense when they are pushing out these three version almost on top of each other? Honest question, I’m an engineer and know very little of sales strategies. For me these versions (GT3, GT3T and GTS) will to some extent cannibalise on each other. If they were not available all at the same time, maybe total sales would have increased because there are always people who don’t want to wait. But I’m probably wrong - I just want to know why I’m wrong...

Last edited by erik_plus8; 01-07-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:42 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Correct me if I am wrong, but in past GT3 models all the rear seat belt anchors are still installed on the chassis. You would need to source the bottom seats which are velcroed on, the tilting backseats, along with seat belts to complete the install. Below is a GT3 RS 991.1 with rear panels/carpet removed, upper anchors are circled. You even get the rear airbag head side curtains.

It’s not a question of existing anchor points or not. It’s a question of Porsche not homologating the base GT3 for rear seats because cage. To homologate only the Touring for rear seats would be quite expensive and time consuming.

But maybe they will, for the 992.
BrntRubber (01-09-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:17 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Guys have been using the “rear seats for the kids” as a justification for getting a 911 from day 1. Ferry Porsche insisted on the 2+2 configuration for that specific reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by djcxxx:
BrntRubber (01-09-2021), Rxpert (01-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
@ipse dixit So how does that make sense when they are pushing out these three version almost on top of each other? Honest question, I’m an engineer and know very little of sales strategies. For me these versions (GT3, GT3T and GTS) will to some extent cannibalise on each other. If they were not available all at the same time, maybe total sales would have increased because there are always people who don’t want to wait. But I’m probably wrong - I just want to know why I’m wrong...
Hi @erik_plus8 ,

I don't think that you are wrong, but I just think in this year (or years) of Covid, things are just going to be different.

And also, I am not sure these three introductions, GT3, Touring, and GTS, will necessarily cannibalize each other because they aren't direct competitors, at least not the two GT models (GT3 and Touring) versus the GTS. For one, the GT models are quite more expensive than a tarted up 911 (i.e., the GTS), and most people who want a GT car are not going to cross-shop a regular 911.

And while there may be some cross-shopping between the GT3 and Touring, again, I think the overlap may be less than at first glance. As I am sure you've seen on the 911 GT3 board, there is a strong dividing line between those that think a wing is the essence of a GT car and those that think a GT car without a wing is the next best thing to zero calorie ice cream. So there's that.

But going back to the time line, I think things just got squished because of the delays and cancellations of car shows during the pandemic where PAG would have introduced these models during normal times.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
bblack07 (01-24-2021), erik_plus8 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Nas
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL

I've read several threads on this and liability (insurance) is the biggest concern. Also the mount points have been removed, not to say adding rears can't be done it's just not that a simple in the 991 compared to the 997. In Europe there a places that do it.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,235 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
I've read several threads on this and liability (insurance) is the biggest concern. Also the mount points have been removed, not to say adding rears can't be done it's just not that a simple in the 991 compared to the 997. In Europe there a places that do it.
But they have NOT been removed - you can clearly see them on this photo. I'm surprised to see that even rear airbags are still there, it seems.
Captain_ (02-06-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 07:07 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
Back seats are the only reason I'm getting a GTS instead of a GT3
Originally Posted by djcxxx
Guys have been using the “rear seats for the kids” as a justification for getting a 911 from day 1. Ferry Porsche insisted on the 2+2 configuration for that specific reason.
Aside from my childhood love of the 911, the rear seats have always been a need in my 911s. My kids grew up back there. They still want to ride in the next 911, but unless plans fall through it will be a GT model of some kind and they’ll have to take turns.

Worst case, it doesn’t get used enough and we trade into a .2 GTS in a few years.
AlexCeres (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
But they have NOT been removed - you can clearly see them on this photo. I'm surprised to see that even rear airbags are still there, it seems.
What has been removed is the LATCH connectors for child seats which is important for some people. And of course in the US the DOT certification for rear seats, which could mean something to an insurance company asking to pay out for rear seat passengers in a car "without" rear seats. Insurance rates assume there are no rear passengers, and nobody really wants to give the insurance company a heads up that they "modified" their car to add rear seats.

All the more reason to wait for the 992 GT3 since it was confirmed by someone who should be in the know that it would be a factory option.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tangerine:
AlexCeres (01-08-2021), BrntRubber (01-09-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 386 Posts

The difference between no seat vs rear seat are the inner fender wells. The items in red circles are missing on car wo rear seats. These are welded and structural.

MaxLTV (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 04:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Norge911
The difference between no seat vs rear seat are the inner fender wells. The items in red circles are missing on car wo rear seats. These are welded and structural.

Not arguing but rather curious - what would this part even do? It seems located way above the rear seat bottom vertically and at or just behind the rear seatback horizontally. Is it the bracket that holds the rear seatback hinge?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:04 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
What has been removed is the LATCH connectors for child seats which is important for some people. And of course in the US the DOT certification for rear seats, which could mean something to an insurance company asking to pay out for rear seat passengers in a car "without" rear seats. Insurance rates assume there are no rear passengers, and nobody really wants to give the insurance company a heads up that they "modified" their car to add rear seats.
I think the discussion was not about modifying a car aftermarket but rather how much effort/cost would it be for Porsche to have GT3 with a rear seat option. Adding seats that are not meant to be there is problematic for a number of reasons.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 - Official Launch