992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023 | 03:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

I reckon that most track guys buying the 992 GT3 RS are buying it because they want to experience the latest and greatest, with the extreme aero and adjustability of *****, and because it looks rad, not because they really want to win track days.

If you're passed by a car that shouldn't pass you, that car has better tires and/or better driver. And unless your a legit pro driver, there's always someone who's a better driver than you. My first track day ever, at the AMG Driving Academy, I got a hot lap ride with my pro racer instructor. Since then, I've ridden with many very good drivers, but none who were as good as that pro - that was a different level.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
daveo4porsche (07-05-2023), fijibubba (07-10-2023)
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I reckon that most track guys buying the 992 GT3 RS are buying it because they want to experience the latest and greatest, with the extreme aero and adjustability of *****, and because it looks rad, not because they really want to win track days.

If you're passed by a car that shouldn't pass you, that car has better tires and/or better driver. And unless your a legit pro driver, there's always someone who's a better driver than you. My first track day ever, at the AMG Driving Academy, I got a hot lap ride with my pro racer instructor. Since then, I've ridden with many very good drivers, but none who were as good as that pro - that was a different level.
I have a feeling that I'll be keeping up and/or passing most 992 GT3RSs in my GT4RS. My 981 GT4 lap times were only 2-3 seconds off the top lap times for 991.2 GT3RSs.
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:07 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I have a feeling that I'll be keeping up and/or passing most 992 GT3RSs in my GT4RS. My 981 GT4 lap times were only 2-3 seconds off the top lap times for 991.2 GT3RSs.
Ya…same driver = 992RS> 981RS
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
Ya…same driver = 992RS> 981RS
Agreed but I'm faster than most drivers at my local tracks (slower more technical tracks with very short straights).
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Agreed but I'm faster than most drivers at my local tracks (slower more technical tracks with very short straights).
if my car comes before halloween/thanksgiving I will have it at Laguna Seca Nov 4/5 w/HOD and Nov 24th - it would be awesome to play with a GT4 RS @ Laguna while I'm learning the car…
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Don’t be too sure. 3RS has a big downforce advantage, and buyers of that car will tend to be the more experienced track guys.
Old 07-05-2023 | 09:49 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
if my car comes before halloween/thanksgiving I will have it at Laguna Seca Nov 4/5 w/HOD and Nov 24th - it would be awesome to play with a GT4 RS @ Laguna while I'm learning the car…
I've only done 7 track days at Laguna Seca so not a track that I go ***** out at (mainly because of the sound limits). Come down to Buttonwillow in the fall or winter, now that try I can drive almost blind folded as I have almost 100 track days there. I'll even let you drive my GT4RS (yes, it'lll be modded).
Old 07-05-2023 | 09:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Don’t be too sure. 3RS has a big downforce advantage, and buyers of that car will tend to be the more experienced track guys.
The straights at my 2 local tracks are short (couldn't get above 130mph in my 991.2 GT3RS) and both are slower more technical tracks where big downforce doesn't help that much. At Laguna Seca and COTA yes I'd get smoked by a good driver in a 992GT3RS.
Old 07-06-2023 | 09:22 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Watching the Top Gear GT4RS vs GT3RS video from a few months ago what appeared clear to me was how easy to drive the 3RS was at or near the limit versus the 4RS. The much better driver in the 4RS was ringing every thing possible out of the 4RS and getting all out of shape often versus the 3RS driver appearing to not even breaking a sweat with little or no mid-corner corrections. And even with this, the 3RS was still pulling away. The 4RS driver was going way deeper into the brake zones to try to stay close. The same is true when watching Jorg in the hero lap at the Ring. No major steering corrections being made…just so balanced and planted. A smooth decent driver will with seat time gain confidence very quickly in the 3RS wherein a driver in the 4RS will scare the ****e out of themselves when they go beyond their talent. My 2 cents just watching the vids. Haven’t driven the 3RS yet. .

Last edited by rshanholtz; 07-06-2023 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2023 | 09:30 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Watching the Top Gear GT4RS vs GT3RS video from a few months ago what appeared clear to me was how easy to drive the 3RS was at or near the limit versus the 4RS. The much better driver in the 4RS was ringing every thing possible out of the 4RS and getting all out of shape often versus the 3RS driver appearing to not even breaking a sweat with little or no mid-corner corrections. And even with this, the 3RS was still pulling away. The 4RS driver was going way deeper into the brake zones to try to stay close. The same is true when watching Jorg in the hero lap at the Ring. No major steering corrections being made…just so balanced and planted. A smooth decent driver will with seat time gain confidence very quickly in the 3RS wherein a driver in the 4RS will scare the ****e out of themselves when they go beyond their talent. My 2 cents just watching the vids. Haven’t driven the 3RS yet. .
100% correct... The 4RS is a cool car yes, but frankly lacks adequate Aero. Factors that and overall footprint being narrower than the 3rs theres more *** end play. The 4RS is a very flat driving car with no real lean into curves or turns. I don't care about tracking cars, but I drive the hell outta my dailys and love hair pinning on occasion and the 4RS just leavs you wishing for a touch more in tight turns. Im much more comfortable pushing my ACR-E Viper into a hard turn over the 4rs even with the weight distribution being favorable for the 4RS.
Old 07-06-2023 | 09:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
100% correct... The 4RS is a cool car yes, but frankly lacks adequate Aero. Factors that and overall footprint being narrower than the 3rs theres more *** end play. The 4RS is a very flat driving car with no real lean into curves or turns. I don't care about tracking cars, but I drive the hell outta my dailys and love hair pinning on occasion and the 4RS just leavs you wishing for a touch more in tight turns. Im much more comfortable pushing my ACR-E Viper into a hard turn over the 4rs even with the weight distribution being favorable for the 4RS.
Consider tracking your track cars. You can’t get near their limits on the road. You may think you are, but you’re not.
Old 07-06-2023 | 09:57 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Consider tracking your track cars. You can’t get near their limits on the road. You may think you are, but you’re not.
Lol. Not a bad idea, but I'm more of a straight line person. I can 100% tell you the 4RS let's you know it's limits very quickly. It's a great fun daily though which I feel it's more geared towards.

​​​​​​​In all seriousness though, there are plenty of places around Houston you can (illegally of course) push the limits. The stupidest push I did in my 992TTS was accelerating into a curve doing over 130mph and catching some air at the apex as one of the wheels left the ground all through the national forest North of Houston. The handling abilities of the 992TTS is significantly underrepresented and not many test it as it should be since they thinks it's only a luxury rocket ship. The best "public" racetrack in Texas is the Grand Parkway aka 99 tollway..... just ask the cops they're the worst speed violators. There are plenty of spots I've pushed over 200mph in my cars in Mexico of course. As for actually tracking them, time will tell.​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (07-11-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Lol. Not a bad idea, but I'm more of a straight line person. I can 100% tell you the 4RS let's you know it's limits very quickly. It's a great fun daily though which I feel it's more geared towards.

In all seriousness though, there are plenty of places around Houston you can (illegally of course) push the limits. The stupidest push I did in my 992TTS was accelerating into a curve doing over 130mph and catching some air at the apex as one of the wheels left the ground all through the national forest North of Houston. The handling abilities of the 992TTS is significantly underrepresented and not many test it as it should be since they thinks it's only a luxury rocket ship. The best "public" racetrack in Texas is the Grand Parkway aka 99 tollway..... just ask the cops they're the worst speed violators. There are plenty of spots I've pushed over 200mph in my cars in Mexico of course. As for actually tracking them, time will tell.​​​​​​​
Ride in these cars on track with a really good driver, and you’ll see why I say you can’t get near the limits on the road. The limits are higher than you think. Getting the back to momentarily step out by stabbing the gas is not driving on the limit. Going 130 through a sweeping curve if the car can do it at 180 is not driving at the limit. Be careful out there …
Old 07-06-2023 | 10:15 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Ride in these cars on track with a really good driver, and you’ll see why I say you can’t get near the limits on the road. The limits are higher than you think. Getting the back to momentarily step out by stabbing the gas is not driving on the limit. Going 130 through a sweeping curve if the car can do it at 180 is not driving at the limit. Be careful out there …
I validate your point, but back to the original point being the 4RS is much less capable than one would want an RS car to be.
Old 07-06-2023 | 10:25 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I validate your point, but back to the original point being the 4RS is much less capable than one would want an RS car to be.
Lap time for 4RS is almost as fast as GT3, which is almost as fast as 3RS. 4RS is very capable. It makes up for the lack of downforce and RWS through its mid-engine dynamics, and keep in mind that more downforce usually also means more drag (even with DRS). These cars are all different recipes for what Porsche can do with a ~500 hp RWD lightweight car with the engine somewhere behind the driver.

The TTS cars are a significantly different recipe, with a lot more torque, more power, AWD, PDCC, more luxury, and more weight.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS