Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023 | 10:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-29-2023 | 10:29 PM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^ Best track car in the world as he laps poorly at 2:37 when other amateur drivers have run 2:33 - 2:36 in 991.2 GT3 RS. Best road legal NA Porsche round fast tracks - probably true. Its nowhere near the "best" road legal track capable car.

C8 Z06 taking out 992 GT3 RS - same driver

Last edited by groundhog; 04-29-2023 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2023 | 10:38 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by disden
we are so fortunate to have such a skilled and accomplished driver to add to our little conversations/musings here on RL. I feel awful that I insulted him by confusing what I consider an amateur driver as someone who is new to track days, vs his idea of an Amateur as someone who is fully trained and licensed as a professional race driver but just doesn’t have a lot of races under their belt yet. Again very sorry Mr Groundhog.

But, I would love some pointers as I can always improve my laps and am open to suggestions. I will be at Spa later this summer in my 4RS, and next spring with my 3RS.
Sarcasm widely considered the lowest form of humour - however, to do any meaningful amateur competition you have to have accreditation - that is entirely normal.

That does not make you a professional driver but it does mean you have demonstrated skills to a certain level (this includes understanding of rules, regulations and safety requirements and depending on level and type of competitions may require various medicals on a regular basis) and you are driving vehicles that are safe, fit for purpose and comply with a set of series regs.

In other words you know what you are doing - you have demonstrated this through logged cars and logged performances that can be reviewed, checked and verified independently by race officials.

Examples, Bronze class drivers at Le Mans or how about most competitors in Carrera Cup competitions around the world, ADAC 24hr Rennen, how about VLN right through to those involved in tarmac and dirt rally championships. Miles makes champions.

Surely, its apparent to you that some view motorsport as a hobby, like yachting or mountaineering and as such, to be good at any of these sports you train hard.

Originally Posted by signes
Groundhog still masquerading as PAG marketing.
Whats the problem guys, seriously, what is it. If you have some sort of beef with me be open, honest, direct.

Do facts bother you? Perhaps you like echo chambers.

Post some information, data, facts - you're in the 992 GT3 RS thread.

Perhaps, just go outside and touch the grass.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-30-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2023 | 02:31 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Sarcasm widely considered the lowest form of humour - however, to do any meaningful amateur competition you have to have accreditation - that is entirely normal.

That does not make you a professional driver but it does mean you have demonstrated skills to a certain level (this includes understanding of rules, regulations and safety requirements and depending on level and type of competitions may require various medicals on a regular basis) and you are driving vehicles that are safe, fit for purpose and comply with a set of series regs.

In other words you know what you are doing - you have demonstrated this through logged cars and logged performances that can be reviewed, checked and verified independently by race officials.

Examples, Bronze class drivers at Le Mans or how about most competitors in Carrera Cup competitions around the world, ADAC 24hr Rennen, how about VLN right through to those involved in tarmac and dirt rally championships. Miles makes champions.

Surely, its apparent to you that some view motorsport as a hobby, like yachting or mountaineering and as such, to be good at any of these sports you train hard.Whats the problem guys, seriously, what is it. If you have some sort of beef with me be open, honest, direct.

Do facts bother you? Perhaps you like echo chambers.

Post some information, data, facts - you're in the 992 GT3 RS thread.

Perhaps, just go outside and touch the grass.
Tongue in cheek mate, all in good fun.
Old 04-30-2023 | 06:09 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by signes
Tongue in cheek mate, all in good fun.
Old 04-30-2023 | 12:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Old 04-30-2023 | 08:00 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Here is a lap from me @Spa in New 992 GT3 RS on cup2. This is a 2.34+ lap & considering that I have only driven Spa once before 6.5 years ago I am relatively satisfied. All internet warriors sitting in the stands & driving a car should consider that this is a borrowed car. I don't think any of those who run this gig want to sign off(crash) a new RS live in front of Porsche and Manthey who lend the cars to us. I therefore drive my own car a little differently and think I speak for everyone in front of that fact. So before some internet warriors start raving about bad times, you should take this for what it is. In my own RS with a little more knowledge about SPA, it is of course relatively easy to reduce this 34+ time. I drove together with my drive Buddy and he did low 34 in his borrowed RS. We were 10 guys on this special #mastergt3rs event by porschetrackexperience (jww was not on this special only 10 RS car event @spa.

Well, in my world the RS is superior to the GT3 and it's mostly because the RS is more suited to track driving and it can be adjusted in a way the GT3 can't to match your personal driving style exactly. Or RS can Easy get more grip in rain by you go soft in the damper etc. But above all, it has a superior grip everywhere but especially in the wet. Also, it wears less tires than the GT3 I would say. You also don't have to risk everything for minimum lowest lap times because ESC is very adjustable unlike GT3. For absolute lowest times at my home track I have to run ESC off in my 992 GT3, I like it but it comes at a risk. In the RS you have more opportunities to ride on the limit of the lowest times but with a ESC that is adjustable and better calibrated for the lowest times but some protection remains. Then you have a clear display that shows how you temper the tires and this allows you to easily ride at peak optimal working temperature on the cup tires. And cooling if necessary to also get a better life on the tires. Granted, this can be retrofitted in the GT3 with Michelin Connect app i guess?

but regardless, I'm done with my GT3 and need an RS WITHOUT Porsche stickers on the rear wing (an insider is that those marks make you lose downforce (70kg at max speed)

Last edited by Nur93; 05-01-2023 at 05:49 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Nur93:
80s (05-03-2023), JCP.CA (05-01-2023), ParadiseGT3 (05-01-2023), pepinozaur (05-01-2023), Wind911 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023 | 08:21 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^ Best track car in the world as he laps poorly at 2:37 when other amateur drivers have run 2:33 - 2:36 in 991.2 GT3 RS. Best road legal NA Porsche round fast tracks - probably true. Its nowhere near the "best" road legal track capable car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oRa2jBUgU

C8 Z06 taking out 992 GT3 RS - same driver
Sport auto (not same driver here) But wow the vette is Slow vs 992 GT3 (but as I Said not same driver here)

Last edited by Nur93; 04-30-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2023 | 11:34 PM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by Nur93
I'm done with my GT3 and need an RS WITHOUT Porsche stickers on the rear wing (an insider is that those marks make you lose downforce (70kg at max speed)
Now that is a super interesting claim. I know on airplane wings, a little uneven surface can make a few knots speed difference. Can you give more detail on this 70kg claim?
Old 05-01-2023 | 02:37 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mthreat
Now that is a super interesting claim. I know on airplane wings, a little uneven surface can make a few knots speed difference. Can you give more detail on this 70kg claim?
Interesting claim, indeed. If the active aero is designed to work with the stickers and you suddenly add 150 pounds of downforce on rear axle by removing them, sounds like the consequence would be pretty significant high speed understeer.
Old 05-01-2023 | 06:04 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I can't do more than just tell you what I heard, it's nothing official from Porsche. More one with transparency who told it briefly, that it is better with a clean wing & it suits me well regardless. He also announced that they actually did tests with brands & without & saw differences of 70kg. I cannot verify whether this is true or not. But he personally would ride without badges. What kind of role it plays in a larger context, I have no idea, I also wonder about the 40 extra kg of downforce that the drop-shaped support arms generate, vs. they do the same on the whole with or without :-)
Granted, it's cool, but you probably don't make a difference between the cars in a blind test, I guess :-)
Old 05-01-2023 | 08:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Daytona
Old 05-01-2023 | 08:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

https://youtu.be/099tQdH5jiM

Here is a lap from me @Spa in New 992 GT3 RS on cup2. This is a 2.34+ lap & considering that I have only driven Spa once before 6.5 years ago I am relatively satisfied. All internet warriors sitting in the stands & driving a car should consider that this is a borrowed car. I don't think any of those who run this gig want to sign off(crash) a new RS live in front of Porsche and Manthey who lend the cars to us. I therefore drive my own car a little differently and think I speak for everyone in front of that fact. So before some internet warriors start raving about bad times, you should take this for what it is. In my own RS with a little more knowledge about SPA, it is of course relatively easy to reduce this 34+ time. I drove together with my drive Buddy and he did low 34 in his borrowed RS. We were 10 guys on this special #mastergt3rs event by porschetrackexperience (jww was not on this special only 10 RS car event @spa.

Well, in my world the RS is superior to the GT3 and it's mostly because the RS is more suited to track driving and it can be adjusted in a way the GT3 can't to match your personal driving style exactly. Or RS can Easy get more grip in rain by you go soft in the damper etc. But above all, it has a superior grip everywhere but especially in the wet. Also, it wears less tires than the GT3 I would say. You also don't have to risk everything for minimum lowest lap times because ESC is very adjustable unlike GT3. For absolute lowest times at my home track I have to run ESC off in my 992 GT3, I like it but it comes at a risk. In the RS you have more opportunities to ride on the limit of the lowest times but with a ESC that is adjustable and better calibrated for the lowest times but some protection remains. Then you have a clear display that shows how you temper the tires and this allows you to easily ride at peak optimal working temperature on the cup tires. And cooling if necessary to also get a better life on the tires. Granted, this can be retrofitted in the GT3 with Michelin Connect app i guess?

but regardless, I'm done with my GT3 and need an RS WITHOUT Porsche stickers on the rear wing (an insider is that those marks make you lose downforce (70kg at max speed)
Thank you for the write up. I appreciate it very much Nur.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
80s (05-03-2023), daveo4porsche (05-01-2023), Nur93 (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023 | 12:36 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Default Stickers lower downforce...

I can't do more than just tell you what I heard, it's nothing official from Porsche. More one with transparency who told it briefly, that it is better with a clean wing & it suits me well regardless. He also announced that they actually did tests with brands & without & saw differences of 70kg. I cannot verify whether this is true or not. But he personally would ride without badges. What kind of role it plays in a larger context, I have no idea, I also wonder about the 40 extra kg of downforce that the drop-shaped support arms generate, vs. they do the same on the whole with or without :-)
Granted, it's cool, but you probably don't make a difference between the cars in a blind test, I guess :-)
Guys...do you really believe that? This is hilarious, look at race cars...
Old 05-01-2023 | 12:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS