Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022 | 02:07 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Manifold
AP: "This is really a track weapon."
I believe him. People are upset there aren't any groundbreaking headlines or power increases which I understand for the news cycle and attention spans of the 2022 society, but at the same time I trust the majority of engineering went into making this as solid a package as possible for continued beating on track, which isn't really something you can reflect in a spec sheet. The whole drivetrain and chassis should be akin to a bomb shelter at this point. I think criticism will be warranted if we start having engine failures, shock mounts breaking, aero glitches or failures etc, but until then a lot of the initial complaints about design flaws on a car nobody has driven yet and most haven't even seen feel like last ditch efforts to drive down some demand and ADM's. My comments aren't directed at anybody specifically, just having some fun.

Last edited by Carrara Design; 09-02-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMZSTIG
Why is it everyone assuming that increased downforce is going to lead to increased tire deg?
As far as tires are concerned, downforce is nearly equivalent to a heavier car. Tires generate maximum grip at a specific slip angle, so as long as the driver is driving properly (using 100% of available grip by keeping tires at their optimal slip angle), sliding will be the same but the pressure on tires will be higher. So it's essentially like rubbing a pencil eraser the same number of times but pushing on it stronger - it will get used up faster. Another potential issue is sidewall roll. Aero makes it much worse because both grip and sideways force increase, so it's a double whammy for the sidewalls. For example, Radicals cannot use Hankook slicks softer than medium on some tracks because if there are corners taken near top speed, soft slick will roll badly (too much grip), and it's a racing slick with a very stiff sidewall on a 1500lbs car.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
heshalosny (09-03-2022), Manifold (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 03:33 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Plenty of allocations to go around if you are willing to pay a $150k to $250k ADM.
Old 09-02-2022 | 03:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Plenty of allocations to go around if you are willing to pay a $150k to $250k ADM.
But then you'd have no money left for those tires, at least according to this thread.
Old 09-02-2022 | 04:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

How about zero? My dealer doesn't charge ADM on Porsche GT cars, but they only go to loyal customers and they don't get a lot of allocations. After buying 5 Porsches from the same dealer, two of them GT cars, and not buying from any other dealer, I guess I'm not loyal enough. VIP guys getting first dibs is part of the problem.
Old 09-02-2022 | 04:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lightly run your right hand, palm down, across a surface. Now do the same thing, except use your left hand to press down hard on your right hand. 'Wear' appears to be much more in the latter case, and imagine repeating this hundreds or thousands of times.
I think this is a false analogy, since running your hand over the table is more like the tire sliding sideways, more than just rolling resistance. I'm thinking that downforce will prevent the tire from sliding as much.
The following users liked this post:
ILL_SMO_Q (09-05-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 05:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think this is a false analogy, since running your hand over the table is more like the tire sliding sideways, more than just rolling resistance. I'm thinking that downforce will prevent the tire from sliding as much.
It will not because you are supposed to drive faster up to the point where the tire reaches the slip angle (the amount of sliding relative to the forward motion) at which it generates maximum grip. So more downforce means going faster at the same slip angle.
Old 09-02-2022 | 06:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
You’re right that the tire isn’t outright sliding (skidding), but the wearing down of tire means that rubber is coming off because of friction, and the more friction you mobilize (higher grip), the faster the tire wears (hence hardly any wear when driving in the wet or on ice or snow).
Old 09-02-2022 | 06:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It will not because you are supposed to drive faster up to the point where the tire reaches the slip angle (the amount of sliding relative to the forward motion) at which it generates maximum grip. So more downforce means going faster at the same slip angle.
I don't disagree. The goal is to drive right up to the new higher limits and utilize the full amount of slip angle, while driving triple-digit speeds around a sweeping corner with a wall approaching on many tracks. I guess I just doubt that many of us will be able to exploit the car to that degree.

I’m still acclimating to the aero on my 992 GT3 (apparently only 1/3 as much as RS) and I don’t find myself able to extract 10/10ths on fast corners very easily (yet).

Last edited by GrantG; 09-02-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2022 | 06:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Given the aero of this car, is there anything of significance left for Manthey Racing to do?

Will there be an MR version of the GT3 RS?
Old 09-02-2022 | 06:56 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Talking

AP: "This is really a track weapon."
AP, "I discovered the color when I was out on the Yacht."

Not everything AP says should be taken as gospel.
Old 09-02-2022 | 07:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NCheok
AP, "I discovered the color when I was out on the Yacht."

Not everything AP says should be taken as gospel.
I was just describing what AP declared to be the design intent of the car. Yes, he's certainly in marketing mode when he talks to the media, though he's conceded that some aspects of the car aren't ideal (lack of frunk, heat into the cabin), so I think he does try to be honest and maintain his credibility. I personally am thankful that AP has headed the GT car team, because so many great cars have been built on his watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
heshalosny (09-03-2022), IMZSTIG (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 10:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But then you'd have no money left for those tires, at least according to this thread.
I know I wouldn't after I had to pay that kind of ADM. Tires and brakes won't be cheap for this car.
Old 09-02-2022 | 11:05 PM
IMZSTIG
Racer

I know I wouldn't after I had to pay that kind of ADM. Tires and brakes won't be cheap for this car.
That’s why most of the track guys get steels or replace their PCCBs with aftermarket carbon ceramics that can be resurfaced.

All of these consumables come along with ownership and track driving. It’s been said before but remains true…What part of Porsche Racing did you think was going to be inexpensive, the Porsche part or the racing part?
Old 09-02-2022 | 11:27 PM
camjan
Instructor

So base specs gonna be coming in just shy of 500k when they hit secondary?

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS