992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022 | 12:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
Is he anti front lift?
I'm guessing he gets all the free front end replacement splitters he wants. And someone to install it for him, gratis.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
gp1 (08-30-2022), IMZSTIG (08-29-2022), Jony++ (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 07:18 AM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by signes
Is he anti front lift?
it does seem odd to add weight back after putting the car on such a massive weight loss program! I ordered my 16 RS without the FAL and didn’t miss it. I have ordered it on all my other GT cars and only use it to load on/off my trailer. If my build date allows ED will get it, if not will probably pass. My 16 was built in November so that was why didn’t order it
Old 08-29-2022 | 07:42 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This is completely odd - EVERY written mention up to date said 275/30 front tire (including on the configurator, for all available wheel options), but the photos clearly show 275/35, as this article states. How can we trust Porsche after this?! Jk, but seriously, looks like someone made a mistake and it got copied over everywhere. It's clearly the 35 profile on all pics I've seen large enough to see the markings. I for one much prefer more sidewall to less sidewall - real track cars should be able to take curbs, and it's nice to be able to drive on b-roads without cracking those expensive wheels. 275/35 is a nice and chunky tire, giving some hope for road driveability.

Yes, and it gets more interesting given that front and rear track haven't been published (only mentioned in interviews) - equally interesting, the rear and front wheel offsets are missing from the current published specs. Track, sidewall and relative contact patch position will play a big role in how this car performs overall and how it feels through the wheel.

Also to gain the maximum benefit of the aero Porsche will want to minimise the amount of dive under hard braking, the front sidewalls are going to be doing a lot of work, more so given the elevated spring rates.

Last edited by groundhog; 08-29-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:08 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by disden
it does seem odd to add weight back after putting the car on such a massive weight loss program! I ordered my 16 RS without the FAL and didn’t miss it. I have ordered it on all my other GT cars and only use it to load on/off my trailer. If my build date allows ED will get it, if not will probably pass. My 16 was built in November so that was why didn’t order it
The front lift as fitted to 991.1GT3/RS and 991.2GT3 was the old pneumatic version which was a heavy and unreliable piece of kit. However the new version fitted from the 991.2GT3 RS up to the new 992GT3/RS is hydraulic and fitted to the bottom of the dampers and weigh next to nothing with the added benefit of being much more reliable.
There is absolutely no cons on fitting the hydraulic lift to GT Porsche and have it fitted to my 2019 RS WP. Mine is lowered by 10mm and it would be scraping its front on many garage forecourts without lift.
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

With this RS being based on the regular 992, which isn't small for a sports car, I think it's inevitable that it's going to be heavier than we'd like. The carbon fiber stuff saves a little weight here and there, but I think I'd rather just have plastic which is less expensive to replace. Saving a pound with the door pulls seems a little silly when most drivers could stand to lose at least 10 pounds.
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:52 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I hope this car is incredibly uncomfortable and unforgiving on the street.....might weed some folks out who want to drive to Starbucks
more cars for people that want to use it for its intended purpose
The following 3 users liked this post by neurotic:
Finlander (08-29-2022), foot2pedal911 (08-29-2022), IMZSTIG (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 10:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotic
I hope this car is incredibly uncomfortable and unforgiving on the street.....might weed some folks out who want to drive to Starbucks
more cars for people that want to use it for its intended purpose
But then how to get to the track?
Old 08-29-2022 | 11:21 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

If you can afford a $300k car, you can afford an F150 and a trailer.
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
If you can afford a $300k car, you can afford an F150 and a trailer.
1. It's a $230k car. I don't do lots of options nor ADM.

2. I have a tow vehicle and can get a trailer. But I don't want to trailer the car. If I have to do that, I'll get a fully caged race car with slicks. Trailering a Porsche GT car which has street tires seems pointless.
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:10 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Originally Posted by Manifold

2. Trailering a Porsche GT car which has street tires seems pointless.
HUH? A lot of people trailer their cars that have street tires on them. I live in PA(U.S.), I trailer when going to VIR, Road Atlanta, AMP, etc.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 08-29-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:16 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

1. It's a $230k car. I don't do lots of options nor ADM.

2. I have a tow vehicle and can get a trailer. But I don't want to trailer the car. If I have to do that, I'll get a fully caged race car with slicks. Trailering a Porsche GT car which has street tires seems pointless.

Do you just stir the pot? Be a big boy. You dont need a bunch of other grown men to sway your decision making on buying this car or not. The car doesnt fit in your life? Dont buy it. At this stage, page after page, you honestly just make this thread a boring eye-rolling experience of your finger pointing at the compromises this car is "making" you deal with.

The following 2 users liked this post by J9277655:
bigskyGT3 (08-29-2022), TRAKCAR (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:19 PM
Doublej
Racer

Not really.
1. Reduces mileage - all the power to you if you like to drive to the track. I do it, I've done it but I want the mileage I put on to be more than just a 6 hour round trip on a boring straight as an arrow highway.
2. In the event something happens, you have a way to get the car home. I'm a perfect example of this when my engine died. While I was able to call road side assistance, it took 2 days to get it picked up and now it's stuck 3 hours away in a different city.
3. Can offer protection from the elements (if using an enclosed trailer). Hail storms roll through around here all the time and wouldn't be uncommon to hit one driving to/from the track or even while at the track.

Each to their own. I've only just bought a truck/trailer. I've driven to/from the track all my life. I put 30,000km on my first GT3 just driving around to different tracks. Never had a single issue and even drove 7 hours home on corded rear tires. I'd like to put less mileage on this one and it's already had a major failure (uncommon yes) so I personally am happy to trailer my street-rubber equipped GT3 to tracks across the country.

JJ

Last edited by Doublej; 08-29-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
HUH? A lot of people trailer their cars that have street tires on them. I live in PA(U.S.), I trailer when going to VIR, Road Atlanta, AMP, etc.
Vast majority of people I know who trailer have Hoosiers or slicks on the car, even if it's a street car.

Originally Posted by J9277655
Do you just stir the pot? Be a big boy. You dont need a bunch of other grown men to sway your decision making on buying this car or not. The car doesnt fit in your life? Dont buy it. At this stage, page after page, you honestly just make this thread a boring eye-rolling experience of your finger pointing at the compromises this car is "making" you deal with.
Not sure of the point of your post. Any street-legal car is compromised for track use compared to a race car. The compromises involved with this RS merit discussion. It's not a cheerleading thread.
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doublej
Not really.
1. Reduces mileage - all the power to you if you like to drive to the track. I do it, I've done it but I want the mileage I put on to be more than just a 6 hour round trip on a boring straight as an arrow highway.
2. In the event something happens, you have a way to get the car home. I'm a perfect example of this when my engine died. While I was able to call road side assistance, it took 2 days to get it picked up and now it's stuck 3 hours away in a different city.
3. Can offer protection from the elements (if using an enclosed trailer). Hail storms roll through around here all the time and wouldn't be uncommon to hit one driving to/from the track or even while at the track.

Each to their own. I've only just bought a truck/trailer. I've driven to/from the track all my life. I put 30,000km on my first GT3 just driving around to different tracks. Never had a single issue and even drove 7 hours home on corded rear tires. I'd like to put less mileage on this one and it's already had a major failure (uncommon yes) so I personally am happy to trailer my street-rubber equipped GT3 to tracks across the country.

JJ
1. I'm not concerned about the mileage, since track miles use up the car much more than street miles, and resale value isn't much of a consideration for me with a car I intend to track.

2. You have a point here. I've had a few occasions when the car couldn't be driven home. But we were able to call AAA and find a way home (wife and I go the track together, so chance of both cars failing is low). I did trailer a few times and found the hassle to be not worth the benefits. Plus we have two cars to get to the track.

3. Makes sense if you have those conditions, but then you need an enclosed trailer.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-29-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2022 | 01:37 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Vast majority of people I know who trailer have Hoosiers or slicks on the car, even if it's a street car.

Not sure of the point of your post. Any street-legal car is compromised for track use compared to a race car. The compromises involved with this RS merit discussion. It's not a cheerleading thread.

Nobody is cheerleading. Anyone would prefer to have a frunk or a little more comfort to/from the track - but we'd then moan and groan about it being too soft or too marginal an improvement from what's already been.

You moan/grown about it not being a racecar AND not being as easy to deal with as a 991. Which is it?

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS