992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020 | 08:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Threads merged. No need for multiple threads on the same subject.
Old 10-16-2020 | 09:03 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Pretty simple as far as the not liking big wings rational on a road car...it looks super silly/somewhat poser ish to have a car with aero bigger than almost any previous Gt3 cup and concurrently likely to never, or so seldom ever see a lap around a racetrack. Now, if you live near a track and get to utilize the aero and work the car out...that's awesome and completely see that appeal, if you don't...well yeah it's definitely a look that has a very specific crowd it caters too (and AMG seems to be aiming there as well). I don't have a problem with wings by any means either...actually love them, but these are a bit above and beyond ridiculous looking. Granted, looks like I'm in the minority so Porsche is hitting their target group square on!
Poser ish, if you don’t track? Sure, but I’m not really one to judge. If someone has the money and likes the look and only wants to drive it on the street or to cars and coffee, more power to them.

I do a lot of street driving and go to some cars and coffee events, but a lot of guys who go also have become good friends and we go to the track together as well. Road America is pretty close and a fast track. I would love to see how this thing would perform, especially if it has active aero for more speed on the long straights, but then massive downforce for the turns.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 12:47 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Is anyone else here in the camp that the wing has gotten so wild, you wouldn't even think about getting one unless it lived at a track? Or is it just me...
I’ll be upset if the wing is any smaller when the car comes out officially. Wouldn’t be nice for Porsche to tease us with this amazing wing on the test cars and then give us something smaller.
Old 10-17-2020 | 01:32 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
I’ll be upset if the wing is any smaller when the car comes out officially. Wouldn’t be nice for Porsche to tease us with this amazing wing on the test cars and then give us something smaller.
They never do that.. what you see in testing is always the exact same as what they produce, just with extra cover/cladding. What you see is what you get
Old 10-17-2020 | 08:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The wing was blocking the view and makes tornado sound about 160Kph..
Other than that why would it bother you?

If you like sleek and stylish; Mercedes puts a great driveline in a reasonably OK car that has the looks and C&C conversation piece aero...
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...b11-aeroblade/
Old 10-17-2020 | 09:31 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

I think its so sad some of us have to wait for the RS and the dealers making us order the boring old GT3 when it arrives. The biggest wing and fenders available, YES PLEASE!

@TRAKCAR - If EU Delivery is available when you order, I would welcome a joint trip to collect mine too
Old 10-17-2020 | 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^^

There are CPO cars and there are new ED cars.
No ED, no new car for me..

Looks like it may be GT3 -> GT4RS -> GT3RS all in 2021 - 2022..
Maybe a GT4 before the GT3 if the GT3 is only available after March..

Strangely the AMG GT shows up under ED cars on the MB website, but my dealer says no AMG ED and the no longer make the PRO.
Mercedes says up to 12 months is possible and 7% discount without asking...https://www.mbusa.com/en/european-delivery-program

BMW and Porsche now only 3 months and Audi quit altogether. No RSQ8 for wifey then...

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-17-2020 at 09:42 AM.
hsb1001 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 02:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Threads merged. No need for multiple threads on the same subject.
Yes, let's save that for the value threads...
Old 10-17-2020 | 02:20 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
If you have an RS and you don't go to the track, thats really confusing to me.
Welcome to at LEAST 70 percent of RS's sold, at best.
Pretty simple as far as the not liking big wings rational on a road car...it looks super silly/somewhat poser ish to have a car with aero bigger than almost any previous Gt3 cup and concurrently likely to never, or so seldom ever see a lap around a racetrack. Now, if you live near a track and get to utilize the aero and work the car out...that's awesome and completely see that appeal, if you don't...well yeah it's definitely a look that has a very specific crowd it caters too (and AMG seems to be aiming there as well). I don't have a problem with wings by any means either...actually love them, but these are a bit above and beyond ridiculous looking. Granted, looks like I'm in the minority so Porsche is hitting their target group square on!
From my track days I see more 991 GT3s than 991 RSs on the track. Unfortunately, the RS has become a victim of its reputation and so plenty of poseurs.....silicon valley, LA entertainment industry types. cough cough..... buy up RSs to look "cool" and "edgy" rather than for what the car was intended. Meanwhile, more GT3 owners actually use their car for what it was intended..........and somehow do so effectively with a much smaller wing
Old 10-17-2020 | 03:09 PM
PPS
Instructor

A RS is a track car. If you then have a wing phobia it tells me you don’t and won’t track it. Of course everyone can do exactly what they want with their “money”, but to complain about what’s an “acceptable” wing size because it will look too big for them on the street... please... think before you write... 😉 I’m sure some one will take it off like they started doing with the 991.2 RS in the US. Probably as a result of being more about flashing and coffee...

Last edited by PPS; 10-17-2020 at 03:27 PM.
JMartinni (10-22-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 05:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
From my track days I see more 991 GT3s than 991 RSs on the track. Unfortunately, the RS has become a victim of its reputation and so plenty of poseurs.....silicon valley, LA entertainment industry types. cough cough..... buy up RSs to look "cool" and "edgy" rather than for what the car was intended. Meanwhile, more GT3 owners actually use their car for what it was intended..........and somehow do so effectively with a much smaller wing
I don't think the cause of RS not being tracked can be attributed to "plenty of poseurs" -- I think that's the unintended effect of the price point of the RS.

Few people can comfortably track a car that starts off life with an average MSRP of around $200K, at a mininum.

A GT3, while not inexpensive, is a good 50-60 less expensive than a comparable RS, which makes it more of a sweet spot for track rats.
Drifting (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 05:28 PM
PPS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't think the cause of RS not being tracked can be attributed to "plenty of poseurs" -- I think that's the unintended effect of the price point of the RS.

Few people can comfortably track a car that starts off life with an average MSRP of around $200K, at a mininum.

A GT3, while not inexpensive, is a good 50-60 less expensive than a comparable RS, which makes it more of a sweet spot for track rats.
I think you hit that one on the head!

You can also take a GT3 and for 10 make the chassis dance around a Weissach RS and the extra 20 Hp doesn’t matter - on a 991.

And that! - is exactly the reason why I love the development and difference we see now on the 992GT3 and RS. There should be a difference bigger than what it was. 😀
AlexCeres (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 08:26 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Is anyone else here in the camp that the wing has gotten so wild, you wouldn't even think about getting one unless it lived at a track? Or is it just me...
I think that's the purpose of the car. Porsche has a 911 for any purpose, and RS is for the track. Its aero does not work at road speeds, suspension skips, tires are unnecessarily wide compromising steering feel and wet traction off track, extensive engine and brake cooling is completely unneeded etc. A bunch of people got confused by the mass GT-buying hysteria, but it does not mean Porsche should restrain its most track-focused car because of them. It would be like making an ax dull to make it safer to use for people who think it's a hammer.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 10-18-2020 at 02:40 AM.
S.White (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020 | 11:37 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^and the fact we can’t get a factory installed cage in US for that kind of track-oriented beast is just so so so damn disappointing to me imo. It is spelling the end for me. The speed these things are able to allow the avg DE driver to carry with zero factory installed safety equipment; unfortunately, I think it leaves me out going fwd. Because, yeah I agree, it’s kinda a terrible street car and truly fun on circuit. I was slow enough in the pre-991 stuff that I could sorta kinda justify it. I think I’ve decided to pass on future RS lineup in favor of a clubsport. So, they are still getting my money; just on a different platform. For street fun, plenty of older/slower stuff. On one hand I’m sad because it has been so much fun to flog every gen and refresh RS they put out. But I think 991.2 was my last street car for the track. They are just so damn capable compared with the safety gear they come with; if they truly produced a track car with vin, I’d be all for it. The ROW guys get pretty dang close to that. The US cars have just pushed performance SO far past safety, it’s gotten silly imo. Oh well; they don’t need my order to sell them all. And like I said, they are getting my money indirectly with CS lineup going forward.
IMZSTIG (09-27-2021)
Old 10-18-2020 | 02:33 AM
S.White
Racer

What? Just install an aftermarket roll bar and harness for the track like everyone else.

Porsche doesn’t sell the roll bars in the US due to our backwards safety regulations. They’ve never sold one factory installed in the US. So, apparently they don’t think it needs one to meet their crash standards....

BMW could do it on the M4 GTS apparently due to the low production figures or something like that.

Also, what is your evidence for a titanium roll bar making the car so much safer? Are these cars rolling over often and when they do, are the roof structures crushing? I have not heard of any of this.

Also, the cars on the street are traveling the same speeds they always have. If you’re talking about exceeding speed limits and crashing, that is illegal and you can do that in any car.

I really don’t understand any of the new anti-RS logic. Are you anti-RS people just trolling here?

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS