Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 airbag warning light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 10:59 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

OK I did some Google-Fu. The error code led me nowhere. The key was “Active Control unit - locking not performed”. This led me to https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...locked.270863/ where a user pointed someone towards yet another thread where it was mentioned that resetting the SRS module might work for this type of error message.

So back to iCarsoft ha - after poking around under Diagnosis Mode found this:

Service - MIS - Crash Record - Airbag control units locking mechanism - start routine.

.. and this appears to have worked. The airbag light went from flashing to solid. I then went back to Quick Test, ran it, cleared the airbag code, and it was successful.

A mouthful. But if this helps another user down the line… cheers.

Hopefully it stays off - and I do wonder if maybe I caused this by clearing a bunch of codes logged after a brief flirtation with a tune earlier this year… will never know. Maybe it’s a icarsoft thing.
The following users liked this post:
lee_337 (09-01-2023)
Old 02-07-2024, 08:09 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
Issue has been resolved and I got a thorough explanation as to why it happened.

They said in Germany there is a switch behind the front passenger glove box that can be activated to turn off the passenger airbag.
In the US, this is not something our government regulations will allow, but Porsche still manufacturers the 911s with this switch in place.
Its just not be connected properly as it would be in Germany. So he said the wires are left essentially with naked terminals.

Service guy said that often with excessive moisture the naked wires can be possibly pick up a charge and be activated to cause a fault, and trigger the warning light.
He said that the technician reported others who had just got their cars detailed who also came in with the same issue.

So likely some part of the washing, wrapping, or coating process has something to do with it.

It essentially it took 1.5 hours for them to remove the glove box, and cover and seal the naked wire ends.
Reset the fault. And hopefully no future issues from this problem.

Drove it home like a madman.
Just wanted to thank the author of this comment. I basically quoted it at the dealer and my problem got fixed beyond just resetting the warning, which was important to me right before the end of my CPO.

Here is a description of the work:

Quick Reply: 991.2 airbag warning light on