Sponsored by:

991.2 airbag warning light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 PM
magitalian
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 airbag warning light on

So I just got my car back from PPF, ceramic coating, and tint and notice airbag warning light on. Go to dealer and apparently it's not something they can troubleshoot quickly. Bluetooth streaming audio not available on source option but all other Bluetooth functions working. The push to talk function not working. Anyone else have these issues?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 PM
J.Ho
Racer

My passenger airbag light came on after about 1000 miles. It's still on as I haven't had the first service yet. I read / got a notice that there was a recall on the sensor here

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/p...safety-issues/
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 PM
magitalian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.Ho
My passenger airbag light came on after about 1000 miles. It's still on as I haven't had the first service yet. I read / got a notice that there was a recall on the sensor here

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/p...safety-issues/
Thanks, hopefully dealer can replace sensor quickly
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally refreshing this topic.
I literally had the same exact problem just happen to me.

New-to-me '17 GTS w/ 1650 miles.
Dropped off at the detailer for full protection package.
Full paint correction, PPF, followed by Gtechniq Serum Ultra.

Car looks amazing.....HOWEVER, as soon as I drove it out of his shop, I noticed the Airbag Warning Light was on.
It stayed on no matter what I did.
This warning light was not activated when I dropped it off to get the work done.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
Was this a sensor malfunction?

I've emailed my detailer to see what he says as well.

Thanks,
W
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I wonder if this is related to the problem the 997s have (I don't recall seeing this in a 991 thread). When a buffer is used up around the nose and headlights of a 997, as best I can recall, it can cause significant static electricity and blow out some of the electronics in the front. It could be something else... but seems awfully interesting that you both had it happen after work that included a paint correction.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 AM
whacky
Advanced

Interesting indeed.
I find it hard to believe the two events are completely random being that they occurred in the exact same situation involving PPF, polishing, and coating.

I will be taking the car to the Porsche Dealer this Thursday to have the light investigated as I do not have the means to check the code myself at home just yet.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Same. Picked up the car from a tint shop, light on. They have to take the door panels off and I guess disconnect/reconnect everything including the bag. Either it's not connected or they put the ignition on with the panel off and the ECU collects it as a fault. I don't have the equivalent of VAGCOM for Porsche so it will have to be a trip to the dealer or indy to clear it and see if it comes on again.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 PM
magitalian
Rennlist Member

Dealer reset the sensor under warranty for me
Old 03-13-2018, 09:59 PM
whacky
Advanced

I emailed the detailer and he made no mention of anything that he could think of that would trigger the fault. I didnt specifically ask if he took the door panels off, but I will email him again and see if thats something they did.

Either way, its going to the dealer Thursday.
Will post update then after seeing if the dealer can add any helpful information.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:37 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Dealer reset mine just now. In and out in 15mins. Fault scanned as "low voltage".
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM
whacky
Advanced

Issue has been resolved and I got a thorough explanation as to why it happened.

They said in Germany there is a switch behind the front passenger glove box that can be activated to turn off the passenger airbag.
In the US, this is not something our government regulations will allow, but Porsche still manufacturers the 911s with this switch in place.
Its just not be connected properly as it would be in Germany. So he said the wires are left essentially with naked terminals.

Service guy said that often with excessive moisture the naked wires can be possibly pick up a charge and be activated to cause a fault, and trigger the warning light.
He said that the technician reported others who had just got their cars detailed who also came in with the same issue.

So likely some part of the washing, wrapping, or coating process has something to do with it.

It essentially it took 1.5 hours for them to remove the glove box, and cover and seal the naked wire ends.
Reset the fault. And hopefully no future issues from this problem.

Drove it home like a madman.
The following users liked this post:
ferik (01-05-2024)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Great news for both of you! Glad it could be fixed fairly simply.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Duckman_GTS
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
Issue has been resolved and I got a thorough explanation as to why it happened.

They said in Germany there is a switch behind the front passenger glove box that can be activated to turn off the passenger airbag.
In the US, this is not something our government regulations will allow, but Porsche still manufacturers the 911s with this switch in place.
Its just not be connected properly as it would be in Germany. So he said the wires are left essentially with naked terminals.

Service guy said that often with excessive moisture the naked wires can be possibly pick up a charge and be activated to cause a fault, and trigger the warning light.
He said that the technician reported others who had just got their cars detailed who also came in with the same issue.

So likely some part of the washing, wrapping, or coating process has something to do with it.

It essentially it took 1.5 hours for them to remove the glove box, and cover and seal the naked wire ends.
Reset the fault. And hopefully no future issues from this problem.

Drove it home like a madman.

I Just had the exact same thing happen, 2019 GTS. I had 3M crystalline windshield film installed and I noticed it was on as I pulled out. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealership which unfortunately isn't close for me. It must have got wet.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Same thing happened with my GT4 after a front windshield tint. I am thinking it was caused by the open connect behind the glove box that the moisture got to-either way, dealer fixed under warranty and I didnt have an issue again. For my 911t, I didn't have the same thing happen when I tinted my front windshield...
Old 01-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Chillywon
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

This just happened to me. Dealer tomorrow? Question is should I Mention tint? 2017 base.

Quick Reply: 991.2 airbag warning light on