Help identifying a broken brake part

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 AM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help identifying a broken brake part

Hi
I was replacing brake pads and snapped one of the snap-in connectors for the part in the pic. Does anyone know what part this is? (see picture attached below). I've re-attached it and duct-taped it down so it seems OK for now - but what does this part do and should I get it replaced ASAP?

(right rear brakes pictured)

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Its the connector to the brake wear sensor. If you are not getting error code, I don't think there is a need to get a new one.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Agreed as to the part. That area can can very hot under heavy braking. If you are not going to replace, remove the duck tape and replace with heat resistant tape.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Is that not the wheel speed sensor?

It's looks to far away from the caliper.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:05 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

<rant> This is exactly why I loathe buying used high-end cars worked on by the owner - and never do any more. You find these little jewels like this, where broken things are taped up, incorrect fasteners are used, kludges all around. I prefer to buy a pre-owned car where the owner never touched it and took it to the dealer, where they at least repair to an OEM standard. <rant off>
Old 07-13-2017, 12:35 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

I can see all those wires becoming quite crispy over the years because of the excessive heat.

It looks like a speed sensor.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I can see all those wires becoming quite crispy over the years because of the excessive heat.

It looks like a speed sensor.
Thanks, that diagram is perfect, I think that's it. Car is driving fine, but will get the part replaced to avoid any concerns with heat.

Is there a place to get more workshop manuals for Porsche? Looks like a really helpful resource.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
<rant> This is exactly why I loathe buying used high-end cars worked on by the owner - and never do any more. You find these little jewels like this, where broken things are taped up, incorrect fasteners are used, kludges all around. I prefer to buy a pre-owned car where the owner never touched it and took it to the dealer, where they at least repair to an OEM standard. <rant off>
Good Luck with that!
I have 40+ years working on both cars and airplanes. I will take my solutions over that of the dealer community offers any day, especially when my life depends upon it on the track.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Good Luck with that!
I have 40+ years working on both cars and airplanes. I will take my solutions over that of the dealer community offers any day, especially when my life depends upon it on the track.
Me too. But this presumes the you and I know what we are doing, have the correct tools, parts, and supplies, and always do things correctly.

I just don't know if we can trust anyone else!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
<rant> This is exactly why I loathe seeing technicians shame people for working on their own property who are merely trying to learn about their car and do their part to slowly pry away the money-sucking grip of the magical dealership. </rant>

:-)
Old 07-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Back to topic, I agree the sensor should be replaced. It provides input to the ABS and stability control system. You don't want to have this fail and give you a nasty surprise at the worst possible moment.

Quick Reply: Help identifying a broken brake part