Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocket-Size Battery Jump Starters: Safe or Not?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Pocket-Size Battery Jump Starters: Safe or Not?

You know the little portable jump starters that can supposedly jump start vehicles (usually up to 4.0L in displacement with around 400 CCA) that have a small form factor? Are those safe for our cars, or am I asking for July 4 fireworks (or worse) using one of those? (Is there a compact official Porsche-approved model? Or a particular model that members have had good experience with?)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Anker one that I keep in the car. I keep it in the glove box and charge it off the 12v outlet there.

Anker's a pretty solid company and I've used it to jump start other cars, but not the 911 yet. I figure that as long as you buy it off a good brand then the batteries shouldn't be an issue. I'd be more worried about some of the no name brands out there. Just in general, if you're dealing with any kind of LiON battery, pay the extra and get it from a higher end brand.

As for keeping it in the glove box vs the frunk, I keep it in the main compartment because I can use it to clip to the leads by the fuse box to open the frunk when the battery is dead. If you leave it in the frunk then you'll need to figure out a way to power up those leads to open the trunk before you can jump the car.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Which model is the Anker one? (I would like to search for it on Amazon)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the one I bought, does not seem to be in stock anymore:

Amazon Amazon

Anker lists this one as their current model on their website but it does not seem to be in stock on amazon:

https://www.anker.com/products/A1501011

Aukey and Ravpower are pretty solid brands too and they seem to have their models in stock:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

I went with NOCO genius
Old 07-12-2017, 10:54 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the Winplus from Costco. I have no idea if it's going to work when I need it but I figured for the price, it's worth a try.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 951 Likes on 566 Posts

FWIW, I had a chance to use one a few months ago. I have a 2001 Suburban with 6.0 V8 that tends to run the battery down if it sits too long. One morning after maybe 3 weeks of sitting, the battery had enough to slowly turn the engine over, but not start. I grabbed the compact jump starter from my wife's Outback, connected the clamps to the Suburban battery, and waited about a minute. The truck then cranked as fast as normal and started immediately. The LED lights on the jump starter still showed full charge.

I have bought these for my kids (and my 991). The only trick is remembering to check and charge them periodically.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pocket-Size Battery Jump Starters: Safe or Not?