Sponsored by:

Advise on ordering a new 2018 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:10 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You can get ventilated with 4 ways. Only requirement is seat heating.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDK with no sport chrono is gonna be a deal breaker for many if you want to sell at some point. It transforms the car in ways no other option does (if you have PDK).
Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a base 2017 PDK.

And I think Sport Chrono is overrated. The car still launches from a dead stop.....

Same procedure as if you had Sport Chrono.

1) foot on brake

2) floor the gas

3) release brake within 2 seconds of flooring gas

4) Success !
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 2017 no sunroof car. And I have your same spec pretty much other than I don't have the lane change assist.

I got 6% off in February .....MSRP 96,425....it was my 3rd car from the dealeraship.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
I am looking at ordering a basic 911 Carrera to use as an occasional driver while trying to keep the costs down. There is a lot of fluff in the options. However, I selected the following options which I consider essential:
  1. Premium package
  2. PDK
  3. Power steering plus
  4. Lane change assist
  5. Power sport seats (14 way)
I would appreciate any feedback on my options. What should I change if any?

Is Park assist standard?
Is a rear view camera standard?

MSRP is $99,440 excluding fees and taxes. The dealer agreed to discount it by 3% is that a good deal?

Also any opinions on the Atlanta delivery?
Drop power steering plus, add colored seat belts and sports mirror for a dash of panache; you'll love it. LCA is a personal preference, after driving my son's car (Mazda sedan) with LCA, I am kicking myself for not getting it. After market ones are not 100% reliable. PS: Add tach in black, smoking package, foot well storage; all no cost free options you'll appreciate.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:39 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmac
I was sceptical about Lane Change Assist......till I got it. Very useful especially on busy multi lane highways
So are the side mirrors, also very useful. Amazing that we were able to drive cars before these features came along...

Most people don't know how to properly set their mirrors.

I'd skip that power steering stuff too.

Otherwise, that stuff is all you need. Although me personally, I'd skip the PDK.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
PDK with no sport chrono is gonna be a deal breaker for many if you want to sell at some point. It transforms the car in ways no other option does (if you have PDK).
If you want to later sell your car privately to an enthusiast, then the lack of sport chrono in a PDK car may cost you some potential buyers. If you trade in or sell directly to a dealer, they don't give a crap and you will have saved a bunch of money.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
If it is hot, ventilated seats are nice. Multifunction wheel is a must have for me (some people are ok with voice control and buttons on the dash, I am not. Even my Tacoma utility package has steering wheel buttons!).

I would see if you really need premium and 14 way power. Combined that is close to 3k in stuff. Also, why LCA? Seems annoying more than helpful to me. Will add zero on resale.

Same with power steering plus. Not needed unless you are physically unable (if you are my apologies as I know what it is like).

Below is what I would get if I was trying to be frugal (I might choose black/GT silver/blue as opposed to white):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJFG6L12

This is my C2 order:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9976...nfiguator.html

This is my GT3 (plus PTS which is not yet available and assuming side skirt painted does not conflict with PTS):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9EF367
Your GT3 config is perfect.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
So are the side mirrors, also very useful. Amazing that we were able to drive cars before these features came along...

Most people don't know how to properly set their mirrors.

I'd skip that power steering stuff too.

Otherwise, that stuff is all you need. Although me personally, I'd skip the PDK.
Just like those new fangled parking sensors.....Can't people just look over their shoulders like they used to?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
I am looking at ordering a basic 911 Carrera to use as an occasional driver while trying to keep the costs down. There is a lot of fluff in the options. However, I selected the following options which I consider essential:
  1. Premium package
  2. PDK
  3. Power steering plus
  4. Lane change assist
  5. Power sport seats (14 way)
I would appreciate any feedback on my options. What should I change if any?

Is Park assist standard?
Is a rear view camera standard?

MSRP is $99,440 excluding fees and taxes. The dealer agreed to discount it by 3% is that a good deal?

Also any opinions on the Atlanta delivery?
I oridered a C4S in May to be delivered next month.
Premium package is good.
PDK? I am not a PDK person but here it is a personal preference. But you may want SC with the PDK.
Power steeing plus? IMO, don't need it.
LCA. I didn't order it. set your mirrors properly. I have it in my Volvo XC60 and it a distraction but can be turned off.
18-ways are much better than the 14-ways. I had 14-ways in my 13 Boxster S and they pinched in the shoulder area. I fit in the 18-ways much better. I am about 5 11, 170 lbs.
Park assist and rear view camera are standard.
3% is a small discount. I asked and got 6% but I traded in a low mileage 981 Boxster S.
A full leather interior IMO adds tons of ambience to the cabin as does a glass sunroof to let the light in. I would not order a 911 without these 2 options. The SE in the 991.2 farts a lot so no point ordering that.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do Premium Plus which includes vented seats. Test 14 & 18 way and go for what feels best. Power Steering Plus is unnecessary. I like my PDK a lot. Consider Bose.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:09 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

3% is not a good deal. 6%+ is easy if you shop around.

I personally don't like a sunroof but unless you plan on owning this car for a long time I would get one (metal or glass). Used without sunroof are a tough sell and I'm sure get creamed on trade-in.

Sport Chrono on a base car is not needed. The standard Sport mode is really good. Do you really need active engine mounts, launch control and a stopwatch for a street driven car? If you'll be doing DE events then maybe.

Vented seats are subjective but I like and recommend.

PSP is a waste of money. As was mentioned, it can easily be added later since it's just software.

Seats are subjective. I like the $800 4-way sports seats plus. I wish Porsche would stop tying the Premium packages to the full power seats.

Lane change assist is also subjective. I would rather spend my money on other options - for example Sport Design exterior mirrors or the heated multi-function steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Advise on ordering a new 2018 911