Sponsored by:

Advise on ordering a new 2018 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 AM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Advise on ordering a new 2018 911

I am looking at ordering a basic 911 Carrera to use as an occasional driver while trying to keep the costs down. There is a lot of fluff in the options. However, I selected the following options which I consider essential:
  1. Premium package
  2. PDK
  3. Power steering plus
  4. Lane change assist
  5. Power sport seats (14 way)
I would appreciate any feedback on my options. What should I change if any?

Is Park assist standard?
Is a rear view camera standard?

MSRP is $99,440 excluding fees and taxes. The dealer agreed to discount it by 3% is that a good deal?

Also any opinions on the Atlanta delivery?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If it is hot, ventilated seats are nice. Multifunction wheel is a must have for me (some people are ok with voice control and buttons on the dash, I am not. Even my Tacoma utility package has steering wheel buttons!).

I would see if you really need premium and 14 way power. Combined that is close to 3k in stuff. Also, why LCA? Seems annoying more than helpful to me. Will add zero on resale.

Same with power steering plus. Not needed unless you are physically unable (if you are my apologies as I know what it is like).

Below is what I would get if I was trying to be frugal (I might choose black/GT silver/blue as opposed to white):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJFG6L12

This is my C2 order:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9976...nfiguator.html

This is my GT3 (plus PTS which is not yet available and assuming side skirt painted does not conflict with PTS):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9EF367

Last edited by evilfij; 07-11-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Park assist is standard. So is the rear view camera.

I'd drop the power steering. You really don't need it.

Your order is a basic 911 without many options. It works.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 AM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

I was sceptical about Lane Change Assist......till I got it. Very useful especially on busy multi lane highways
Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Cubs2016
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you lack normal arm strength due to injury or something else, you don't need power steering.

IMO, LCA is a must given the limited visibility these cars have.

I'd recommend the power folding mirrors, which can be helpful in tight spaces.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:25 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the PSP. My car came the way yours is ordered except mine had a MT, sunroof and vented seats for a/c. I also had some nice 20" rims and the Bose upgrade. If it were me, especially if I was ordering it, I would want the nice rims, metal sunroof, and MT (obviously you will get to choose the color).

You might consider finding one on the dealer lot, I got about 10% off of the sticker.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I know you want to keep options low but imho a pdk car should have sports chrono, just to have the panic power surge button handy on the steering wheel
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
If it is hot, ventilated seats are nice. Multifunction wheel is a must have for me (some people are ok with voice control and buttons on the dash, I am not. Even my Tacoma utility package has steering wheel buttons!).

I would see if you really need premium and 14 way power. Combined that is close to 3k in stuff. Also, why LCA? Seems annoying more than helpful to me. Will add zero on resale.

Same with power steering plus. Not needed unless you are physically unable (if you are my apologies as I know what it is like).

Below is what I would get if I was trying to be frugal (I might choose black/GT silver/blue as opposed to white):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJFG6L12

This is my C2 order:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9976...nfiguator.html

This is my GT3 (plus PTS which is not yet available and assuming side skirt painted does not conflict with PTS):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9EF367

Voice control is on the turn signal stalk if you dont get steering wheel controls and it works really well.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Memory package gives you right hand mirror assist when parking which I don't have.......assumed it would be included on a Porsche. Thats the only thing that bugs me. Dimming mirrors is a MUST and easily overlooked if you don't order the right package. PSE sounds really cool IMO. 20" wheels? Many options are almost pointless if you don't track the car.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
rwschill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lane change assist should standard as a safety item. For me entry Drive option is needed since I don't like using a key in the dash.
The premium plus package is on my car. Includes a lot of great options.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Power steering plus is really not necessary. One can add it later because it is software.

Be VERY VERY careful when you order seats. They can make or break the driving experience and you can not change them (economically) later.

Really test all the seats and test them long term. The 4 way the 14 way and the 18 way. Ventilation in the 14 way makes it a completely different seat when compared to the 14 way no ventilation....so don't sit in a 14 way non ventilated and be surprised when the ventilated version arrives and is nothing like the seat you test drove.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ll chime in here as well to say that I added Lane Change Assist to my spec because, errr, I’m a serial specaholic and can’t resist adding gadgets to my cars. (embarrassed smiley)

Much to my surprise, it works really well and I feel much happier driving with it. It was indispensable when I first got the car and hadn’t acclimatised to the size and the view in the mirrors, it really was a “guardian angel” in terms of letting you know what was around you. If it stops you steering/pulling out into someone in a blindspot just once during your entire ownership, it will have paid for itself many times over.

In the EU you have to add the reversing camera but I think you get it as part of the normal spec in the USA?

Otherwise I would say, as above, to try the different seats on offer before you finalise the build. The 4-way manuals might be best, as might be the 18-way electric ones: it’s very personal and you can’t really prejudge it.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM
TJ911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my new Targa a few weeks ago and based on my experiences I would keep your order as is with one exception: add ventilated seats. They are great in So. Cal. and would seem to me to be a must, must have in Atlanta or anywhere sweaty.

LCA has gone from a nice-to-have to must-have as I have gotten used to it. Ditto above comment that it should be a standard item, but hey, it's Porsche.

I ordered PSP because I parallel park multiple times a day and must say I really like it. Great when maneuvering around a parking lot yet zero impact when you are actually driving. That said, if you want to keep under the psychological barrier of $100K, I'd drop this and add the ventilated seats.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

PSP makes the steering feel light and fake, imho. I definitely would not order it again.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
I am looking at ordering a basic 911 Carrera to use as an occasional driver while trying to keep the costs down. There is a lot of fluff in the options. However, I selected the following options which I consider essential:
  1. Premium package
  2. PDK
  3. Power steering plus
  4. Lane change assist
  5. Power sport seats (14 way)
I would appreciate any feedback on my options. What should I change if any?
IMHO, I would drop PSP and lane change assist.

Not sure what premium package is off the top of my head.

PDK? That's very personal. I am a MT guy.

Power seats? All my p- cars always had power seats. What I discovered was that once you set the seats, if you are the only driver, you will not make any changes.

In Atlanta you NEED ventilated seats. That option may only be available with power seats (not sure).

Also, I really enjoyed PSE but I had NA engines (non turbo).

Quick Reply: Advise on ordering a new 2018 911