Sponsored by:

991.1 overrun (pops & crackles) vs none in gt3

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

The first time that I ever heard loud overrun pops and gurgles from a street car was the first time that I drove a Ferrari 458. I thought it was awesome. It reminded me of the noises that you hear from F1 cars. Now it seems that most performance car manufacturers are adding this "feature" to their cars.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by whoadude
It got me wondering if the GT3s do not do this because of their different exhaust set up.
The GT3 has only one sound "symposer" versus two in the regular 991.2 models, the 2nd being enabled in sport mode. To improve throttle response the turbo engines are also now briefly leaving the throttle open and turning off the injectors when you take your foot off the pedal which contributes to it.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 07-03-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Now it seems that most performance car manufacturers are adding this "feature" to their cars.
^^^ This

IMO this was probably a normal thing back in the days of carburetors (the inertia of fuel in motion in the metering system) and perhaps in the days of manifold fuel injection. But these days with computer controlled direct fuel injection it's just not necessary nor the result of normal ECU programming but rather intentional dramatics for the benefit of drivers who like the sounds.

It could be eliminated if manufacturers wanted to. Porsche actually HAS eliminated it in Sport+ mode in the 991.2 series turbo engines (done there for other reasons - ie reduced turbo lag).
Old 07-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I never liked the crackle/pops but I discovered an obvious workaround--just turn off PSE. The valves open anyway above 3-4k or whatever it is, and it seems like there's a lot less fake popping going on.

And I might be crazy but it feels to me like at low RPMs the engine is more responsive with the valves closed? With a manual at least, put it in sport or sport plus, press the exhaust button to turn it off (which isn't off, just means keep them closed at lower RPMs), and compare to when it's on. This is also on the .1 GTS, so NA engine, powerkit etc.
Yeah, but I like PSE on. Yes, the valves open at higher RPM, but the sound symposer stays closed.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:48 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The GT3 has only one sound "symposer" versus two in the regular models, the 2nd being enabled in sport mode. To improve throttle response the turbo engines are also now briefly leaving the throttle open and turning off the injectors when you take your foot off the pedal which contributes to it.
Last I checked, there was only one sound symposer.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
If I had a GT3 I'd have to upgrade the exhaust to more pops crackles and madness.

Personally I love them. Always get lots of positive compliments on the sound.
+1
Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

I drove the turbo in "normal" mode for a while today. There were very few pops and crackles in normal driving. However, if I accelerated hard and then abruptly released the throttle, there were several loud pops. It's apparently never completely off.

Happy Independence Day everyone!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:50 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
Here is an article that explains Jaguar's backfire technology.

"Jaguar engineers achieved this by defying convention. "Usually you’d cut the fuel to the cylinders, when the driver lifts off the accelerator," explained Andrew Lowis, the Gasoline Calibration Manager for the car. "We are delaying the point when we do that and igniting later than we might in normal circumstances. It produces a controlled misfire."

Obviously, the car must still meet emissions regulations despite the intentional introduction of pollutants to the exhaust stream. "It is a challenge, but it is one we can achieve by careful calibration," said Lowis. In fact, Jaguar has more stringent internal emissions limits than the government applies, he said, and the car meets those, too."

"'Theater' is a great word," noted Kevan Richardson, Program Manager for Jaguar sports cars. “We want the car to be entertaining. ... It is all part of the show."
If you feel self conscious in your Porsche with its' backfires, take a ride in the F-Type, particularly the V8 R model. It sounds like a gattling gun under the car. I felt it was kind of silly, and from inside the car, it felt like someone was banging on the cars belly pan. But that F-Type coupe is gorgeous.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
+1
+1
Old 07-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I drove the turbo in "normal" mode for a while today. There were very few pops and crackles in normal driving. However, if I accelerated hard and then abruptly released the throttle, there were several loud pops. It's apparently never completely off.
It's the same way on the .1 as well. The valves open under hard acceleration whether you have PSE turned on or not.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Since my last servicing, the pops and gurgles on decal seem much lower than before. Maybe a software update. I prefer it like that, as I'm not a fan of them when they're so loud they sound overly artificial. Still have a very nice rumble and screams under load, just not as much of the farts and pops on decel.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
If I had a GT3 I'd have to upgrade the exhaust to more pops crackles and madness.

Personally I love them. Always get lots of positive compliments on the sound.
Personally, I agree the GT3 is more muted at lower rpm than my C2 with the AWE bypass on it. There is one element to the acoustics of the GT3 that no exhaust can replace or enhance - the sound between 8-9,000 rpm.

Quick Reply: 991.1 overrun (pops & crackles) vs none in gt3