Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Porsche - Could be Lemon ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017 | 12:06 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack F
You shouldn't need an attorney. If you explain the days out of service and that this qualifies for a buy back, you put the ball in their court. I would think that they would voluntarily buy back the car and make you sign over a clean title. That is what vw did with my Toureg buyback.
I tried the no attorney route for my lemon BMW many many years back. The service manager at the dealership said, 'buying a car is like a house, you can't return it, we'll take as long as is needed to fix the repairs". I hired a lawyer specializing in lemon law, BMW bought the car back and also had to pay my attorney fees. Moral of the story; it all depends on who are you dealing with at the dealership / manufacturer and the effectiveness of your approach. And, sometimes you need a attorney.
Old 07-03-2017 | 02:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Honestly, it sounds like you're on the verge of dumping a really nice car because of incompetent dealer support. There is no excuse -- including parts that have to come from Germany -- for taking 22 days to replace a water pump. Ask the guy at the parts counter if he's ever heard of FedEx.

Chances are good that the car will be fine now.
Old 07-17-2017 | 06:42 PM
Katanashi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Honestly, it sounds like you're on the verge of dumping a really nice car because of incompetent dealer support. There is no excuse -- including parts that have to come from Germany -- for taking 22 days to replace a water pump. Ask the guy at the parts counter if he's ever heard of FedEx.

Chances are good that the car will be fine now.
Honestly I was thinking of that but PCNA CSR also said the same thing, parts are on backorder and it takes over a week to get the parts. Need a multistep process on placing parts get approved, packed then sent out. That water pump replacement sure took the longest I don't know what exactly was delay. What I found funny was they had no parts in the states according to PCNA for the 3rd issue I had Lol so backorder parts. I guess there aren't enough spare parts lying around in North America?

Still waiting for their decision since process started week before July 4th so maybe I'll hear back this week.
Old 07-18-2017 | 12:32 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Interested in how this is going to be resolved. GL
Old 07-18-2017 | 01:22 PM
Jaxgm
Cruisin'

Best of luck with this issue Katanashi. Would it be possible to have PCNA determine how a lemon made it out of the factory? I know it can happen, but I would think they would have inspection checks along the way to prevent quality escapes. Just curious, your priority is to get the car replaced. Let us know how this works out.
Old 07-19-2017 | 04:44 AM
Katanashi
Track Day

Finally got an answer back from PCNA:

Fuddman psychic in guessing they would offer option of keeping car for a Cash Good Will amount.
So I'm thinking this through since initially I think buy back would best choice since currently I rather have a conventional 4 door car than the 911.. Life situations but base Carrera is such a nice car.

Choices I'm given:

A) repurchase of the car (haven't told me if there's depreciation value or my purchase price)
B) Offer of $30k to keep car since warranty lasts until 2020

Now I have a question is Would the $30k offset the depreciation value if I decide to sell car later so I can get the new 2019 model year since I like the rear design a lot better?

Guess I'll take a few days to think this through before deciding.
Old 07-19-2017 | 09:32 AM
Duke I
Pro

"...currently I rather have a conventional 4 door car than the 911..."
"...so I can get the new 2019 model year..."

Sounds like you just don't want the car. Buyer's remorse? I know shop time is really frustrating, but is this car really a "lemon?"
Old 07-19-2017 | 09:56 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

The competence of the tech and possibly the service dept seems lacking in this case.
Old 07-19-2017 | 11:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Katanashi
Finally got an answer back from PCNA:

Fuddman psychic in guessing they would offer option of keeping car for a Cash Good Will amount.
So I'm thinking this through since initially I think buy back would best choice since currently I rather have a conventional 4 door car than the 911.. Life situations but base Carrera is such a nice car.

Choices I'm given:

A) repurchase of the car (haven't told me if there's depreciation value or my purchase price)
B) Offer of $30k to keep car since warranty lasts until 2020

Now I have a question is Would the $30k offset the depreciation value if I decide to sell car later so I can get the new 2019 model year since I like the rear design a lot better?

Guess I'll take a few days to think this through before deciding.
It's difficult to determine how much your car will depreciate, given all of the problems that you had. The very reason that you are considering having Porsche buy back your car is the same reason that a future buyer will be reluctant to buy a car with a problematic repair history. There are lots of used 911s for sale, so why would anyone buy a car with an extensive repair history, unless of course it was discounted heavily.
So if it were me I'd let Porsche buy the car.
Old 07-19-2017 | 01:18 PM
Katanashi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Duke I
Sounds like you just don't want the car. Buyer's remorse? I know shop time is really frustrating, but is this car really a "lemon?"
Not really buyer's remorse when I'm just being wary if other issues will show up and I've only driven 2300 miles. Unless it's due to shortage of spare parts actually made to service the new 3.0 L turbo engines?

For piece of mind I rather not worry about driving on the highway someday and have an issue pop up again.

Originally Posted by fast1
It's difficult to determine how much your car will depreciate, given all of the problems that you had. The very reason that you are considering having Porsche buy back your car is the same reason that a future buyer will be reluctant to buy a car with a problematic repair history. There are lots of used 911s for sale, so why would anyone buy a car with an extensive repair history, unless of course it was discounted heavily.
So if it were me I'd let Porsche buy the car.
It's great to hear other opinions from members of the Forum. Even though I know my base Carrera is a great car somewhere in back of mind I'd always worry about another "error" issue popping up when I'm driving. I believe most have suggest I go the Porsche buy the car back route, but I'll think about it a little longer. Thanks fast1, I'm not sure how depreciation is factor and that's not a number I could look up on KBB easily either. But it doesn't hurt that I ask PCNA additional questions either.

Thanks for the input guys! I just never imagine finally getting a 911 and end up with problems. Just my luck LOL.
Old 07-19-2017 | 04:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

They offered you $30,000 for your troubles, plus full repair of the car? I'd take that and keep the car.
Old 07-19-2017 | 04:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
They offered you $30,000 for your troubles, plus full repair of the car? I'd take that and keep the car.
^ this.

Old 07-19-2017 | 07:57 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

I agree, take the money. I am surprised that Porsche didn't restrict your ability to publicize their offer. Heck, I had a house siding issue which the manufacturer fixed at no charge and I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement!
Old 07-19-2017 | 10:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

At $30K I think they're giving you a very fair deal.

At some point it will occur to Porsche that "Just In Time" isn't good enough for customer-facing operations like the parts counter.
Old 07-19-2017 | 10:49 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Come on guys; $30k is the starting point, tell them $40K and they have a deal (and probably end up somewhere between) . Also, insist on loaner of your choice and be persistent until its fixed!

Quick Reply: My First Porsche - Could be Lemon ?