Sponsored by:

Painted Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Painted Bumper

Does a painted bumper cause depreciation on our cars? - if NOT listed on carfax?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Depends on the buyer. A picky and skilled one will use a paint meter and find it easily, if it’s not already visible from the color match. (Mine is.)

I’m telling myself not to worry about it much; the real joy is in the driving experience, and my driving will put more depreciation on it than the bumper repair.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

is the car more valuable if it has a chipped up, scratched bumper? If thats the case Ill scratch up my whole car
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A very nice silver 997.2 C2 on dealer lot a few weeks ago, slightly mismatched bumper, definitely a turn off for me.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Personally, a color or finish mis-match, even subtle, is worse than a little road rash.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

So don't accept a mismatched paint job on the bumper if you are getting it done yourself! Many of the ones you see on a a dealer lot are ones that the dealer paid someone a minimum charge to repaint a scuffed or chipped up bumper.

BTW, most paint meters can't detect the thickness of paint on plastic parts... only the most recent premium ones can do that trick.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Had the Cup Aero Kit installed so had a new front bumper and wing added. Paint job was meticulous and match great. Car looks perfect. If a good job is done by a 1st class shop I don't get what the problem is. If my bumper get chipped and nicked up I would repaint. Too much concern about plastic parts being repainted. If it's done poorly or the car is a mess from road rash then I understand.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Does a painted bumper cause depreciation on our cars? - if NOT listed on carfax?
You thinking about repainting yours??

Have lots of chips?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

No. Not if it's done right.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Had the Cup Aero Kit installed so had a new front bumper and wing added. Paint job was meticulous and match great. Car looks perfect. If a good job is done by a 1st class shop I don't get what the problem is. If my bumper get chipped and nicked up I would repaint. Too much concern about plastic parts being repainted. If it's done poorly or the car is a mess from road rash then I understand.
I want to do too. Did you search for body shops, tuners, paint shops, dealers...or?? How did you find the best person to paint & install?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I need to do mine eventually, maybe do a 100k refresh in a couple years. I'm assuming a good paint shop can strip the original paint off and repaint so it's the same thickness as new vs painting over top the old?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
You thinking about repainting yours??

Have lots of chips?
Dealer scratched it(rear bumper) and says the only way to fix right is a complete repaint. It's the back bumper and one of 2 panels not covered in PPF.... Scratch was pretty deep. Car is pristine and original otherwise:/

Sucks more that just a few months ago I paid to have rear lettering put on, HA!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Dealer scratched it(rear bumper) and says the only way to fix right is a complete repaint. It's the back bumper and one of 2 panels not covered in PPF.... Scratch was pretty deep. Car is pristine and original otherwise:/

Sucks more that just a few months ago I paid to have rear lettering put on, HA!
you can def spot paint, if you have a skilled painter, I have had many cars spot painted without issues on VERY difficult colors. BMW's Sparkling Graphite, there are like 15 shades of it.

BUT as an FYI, many dealers respray bumpers when they CPO cars. I was told that all they really care about are the metal pieces when inspecting cars.

So assuming the respray was done well you shouldn't have any issues.

Unless you are trying to have museum piece it's not an issue.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some buyers will care some won’t. Dealers will always use something painted to their advantage on trade in. Personally I wouldn’t touch a car that hasn’t been repaired perfectly, if at all. I’m referring to newer models. (2015-2018). If it’s a touch up that’s one thing, a full repaint or large area is ano go. Never know the damage underneath and will always be on my mind. We buy Porsche’s the the exacting perfection they instill so why settle for mediocrity at these dollar levels.

Years and and years ago I bought a brand new Nissan 300zx. Signed papers, walk out to drive home and I watch one of their salesman or techs back another car right into it. Told them not taking car. They asked me for 1 shot to fix it right and if I wasn’t satisfied they’d replace car. It was in writing. I objected , but knew the owner of the dealer and after some thought gave them 1 shot. It took them 7 weeks (no kidding) to repaint entire car and I have to say, I was rather impressed. That might be because I insisted that a Porsche/Ferrari certified specialty shop nearby do it. They agreed. I’ve used them from time to time for repainting if a hood or bumper if a Rock hits it or something and they are awesome and that’s what we should all expect.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
A very nice silver 997.2 C2 on dealer lot a few weeks ago, slightly mismatched bumper, definitely a turn off for me.
Silver is the worst color to match...

Quick Reply: Painted Bumper