Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:29 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
such a hard decision .... Problem is I think I like my Z06 more than the 911 I know that sounds crazy but it's true.....

Need a few more sleeps!
You are likely right. You need to love the car for the $$. Sounds to me you should hunt for a used car rather than eat the new cost. I like my C2S but I love my R8 for instance. This car while good does not stir me as much as I would like on my really long work commute. I don't roll out with a smile or a wow but rather a 'gee I made it home very fast and alive'. Same work commute in my R8 I get out with a grin every time. I don't drive my Porsche on the weekends if that tells you anything. I have a Carrera S but it is the slowest car and least responsive of my current/recent stable (R8GT, RS7, RS5) and I miss the grunt of my Audi's. The P car is my daily. Swing for the TT if this really is your weekend toy fun car gift to yourself. And get a great color. The 991/991.2 all look better in interesting colors (so not black or silver in my opinion). I do like my white car but if I ordered new (mine I bought ten minutes used and saved 30K) I would have Mexican blue or the newer grays but not likely white either though it looks great on the car. I like the orange. I bought mine as a daily but had it been the weekend car I would have stretched to anything with more hp and torque in particular.

I will say on options the extended leather for the dash and the upper doors is well worth it. It makes a huge difference in the interior feel of the car, especially with the contrast stitching. I cared about sport chrono and other performance options on my S when looking used but having found my particular car also with the leather well worth it. If the GTS 991 was out when I bought my car I would have gone that route. All the right options slightly discounted.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

such a hard decision .... Problem is I think I like my Z06 more than the 911 I know that sounds crazy but it's true.....

Need a few more sleeps!
Nothing wrong with that! They'll keep making 911s, no rush. If you want to check it off your list consider an older one as they have lots of character and not a lot of depreciation. You might also check out the AMG GT lineup if you want something in between. Or a Viper or TVR if you want to get a little more crazy!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Carrera S is less responsive than an RS7. You heard it here first, folks!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Nothing wrong with that! They'll keep making 911s, no rush. If you want to check it off your list consider an older one as they have lots of character and not a lot of depreciation. You might also check out the AMG GT lineup if you want something in between. Or a Viper or TVR if you want to get a little more crazy!
haha The AMG GT is on my radar as well. It's a sick car a friend of mine has one but to make it sing you need the S and we are talking almost turbo money
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM
triplekg
Racer

Well today I pulled the Trigger - But I did something Crazy and Ordered a Turbo..> F it you only live once I guess.

Specs (I have a few months to change them I guess)

Carrera White
Red / Black interior
Glass Slide Roof
Steering Assist
Porsche Logo Painting in Center Caps
Porsche Logo on Seats
Smokers Package
Net in Passenger Well
Heated Seats

Im pretty content with options. Don't need anything outside of Glass roof Really - Now I have no Idea what Colour I want!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

You ordered a turbo but you are not sure of what color you want? I should mention PTS (paint to sample) is open on the turbo now so you could get any color you want (for an additional $7930 Canadian). Might take a little longer to get, but if this is a keeper .... Perhaps Gulf Orange or Pastel Orange if Lava is too much for the wife/son?

Check out the various Paint to Sample threads. The one on the GT3 and GT3RS board has the most color photos. That being said, Carrara white (metallic) -- spelled Carrara like the marble not Carrera -- is an often overlooked color. Just "white" is a classic look, but I prefer the Grand Prix White of the older models to the just white offered now.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Well today I pulled the Trigger - But I did something Crazy and Ordered a Turbo..> F it you only live once I guess.

Specs (I have a few months to change them I guess)

Carrera White
Red / Black interior
Glass Slide Roof
Steering Assist
Porsche Logo Painting in Center Caps
Porsche Logo on Seats
Smokers Package
Net in Passenger Well
Heated Seats

Im pretty content with options. Don't need anything outside of Glass roof Really - Now I have no Idea what Colour I want!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats! I also went from a Carrera (well optioned C2S) to a turbo. Very happy with the car - I expect you'll love it.

I'd consider the LCA option if you intend to daily the car and if not, skip it. It's unnecessary but I really like it. There really aren't a lot of must have options on the turbo since so much comes standard.

On color, I'd start by asking yourself do you want a bold color or something subdued. That will cut you choices down somewhat and you can go farther looking for a color that flatters the lines of the car and goes well with the glass roof.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 PM
triplekg
Racer

Originally Posted by evilfij
You ordered a turbo but you are not sure of what color you want? I should mention PTS (paint to sample) is open on the turbo now so you could get any color you want (for an additional $7930 Canadian). Might take a little longer to get, but if this is a keeper .... Perhaps Gulf Orange or Pastel Orange if Lava is too much for the wife/son?

Check out the various Paint to Sample threads. The one on the GT3 and GT3RS board has the most color photos. That being said, Carrara white (metallic) -- spelled Carrara like the marble not Carrera -- is an often overlooked color. Just "white" is a classic look, but I prefer the Grand Prix White of the older models to the just white offered now.
yep. I have a month or so too choose and ordered white to get the ball rolling but have an eternity to change it.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

What made you order the turbo? Did you drive it?

The Turbo is not the best 911. I had a 2015 Turbo S in Birch green. Besides the PTS, it was one of the most boring cars I've owned. The turbo sounds like a vacuum cleaner on throttle compared to the new 991.2 cars even though they are turbo as well. The Turbo and Turbo S are still engineered to feel and sound like a turbocharged car. They are more laggy than the rest of the line up, but the kick in the butt you get on boost is addicting.
I'm not telling you to change your mind, but don't just buy the car because it is a "911 Turbo". The GTS is a better handling car and a better sounding car (even the new turbo ones). Not that it really matters, but the Turbo is also the car that depreciates the most. I get the urge to own the "911 Turbo" because I had that urge too, but it is not Porsche's best 911, imho.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

The Turbo is not the best 911. I had a 2015 Turbo S in Birch green. Besides the PTS, it was one of the most boring cars I've owned. The turbo sounds like a vacuum cleaner on throttle compared to the new 991.2 cars even though they are turbo as well. The Turbo and Turbo S are still engineered to feel and sound like a turbocharged car. They are more laggy than the rest of the line up, but the kick in the butt you get on boost is addicting.
I'm not telling you to change your mind, but don't just buy the car because it is a "911 Turbo". The GTS is a better handling car and a better sounding car (even the new turbo ones). Not that it really matters, but the Turbo is also the car that depreciates the most. I get the urge to own the "911 Turbo" because I had that urge too, but it is not Porsche's best 911, imho.
This. I've had plenty of them to support this opinion as well...and why I have a GTS on order thats WAYYY into the Turbo/gt3 territory.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 PM
triplekg
Racer

Originally Posted by kyrocks

Driving it basically....
Old 07-15-2017, 11:38 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Driving it basically....
Very happy with mine. I came from a 997 GTS. The only thing I really miss is the steering feel. It's good on the 991.2 but was great on the 997.2. Everything else is better to far better. Really, it's great. I love the new car.

I don't think there are any bad choices in the 911 lineup - just bad fits for specific needs and preferences. The turbo isn't for everyone, but the cab, targa, and GT3 aren't either. They're all great cars for the right clients.

Quick Reply: 911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!