Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017 | 09:02 AM
rai
Instructor

Cheers. It's hard to resist the option list, but fortunately the GTS doesn't need a lot.
Old 06-25-2017 | 11:44 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

GTS without hesitation. Put your wheels on later if you still feel the need after driving the car a bit.
Old 06-25-2017 | 12:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

GTS in Silver
Old 06-25-2017 | 12:17 PM
Werks 1
Racer

GTS for sure.........Really look at the options list......add options that you cannot add after the car is built...Like black LED headlights (expensive aftermarket) or backup camera...... You can get spider wheels as a CXX option.......
Old 06-25-2017 | 01:20 PM
triplekg
Racer

Originally Posted by Werks 1
GTS for sure.........Really look at the options list......add options that you cannot add after the car is built...Like black LED headlights (expensive aftermarket) or backup camera...... You can get spider wheels as a CXX option.......
Thankfully the GTS comes pretty loaded - cameras parking sensors, all the performance u need.. But a black roof is a must.
Old 06-25-2017 | 07:36 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rai
Couple questions.

1) If I'm ordering the center lock wheels how much of a pain are they to dismount?

Reason being if I plan to use snow tires will I need to go to the dealership every time or can a local tire shop switch them? Is it possible to do it myself?
It's really not too bad. You need to spend some money on tools - it takes a giant torque wrench. I wouldn't trust just any tire shop with them but any good and careful technician could do it and you might be able to find a guy you trust at the tire shop down the road. There are a lot of threads on it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ck-wheels.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...and-tools.html

All that said I opted away from them. I see it as an unnecessary complication and find it frustrating simply because I think it's an answer to a question nobody asked. Usually the chosen CL wheel design has good aesthetics though.
Originally Posted by rai
2) RWD vs AWD it seems most prefer the RWD (feel) in dry, but AWD if you will be driving all weather conditions.

Is AWD not great for resale value? Does AWD make the car less fun?
Not sure on resale but you could look pretty easily.

To me RWD is a bit more fun because it's a bit easier to get the tail out and be a hooligan. Also the slightly lower weight is a benefit. AWD is faster and more stable, and I strongly prefer it in bad weather. Both are good.

If the car is for sunny days or weekends only the positives of RWD are maximized and if the car is driven through snow and rain the positives of AWD are maximized. If it's in between then it depends what you prefer, but that could be said regardless.
Originally Posted by rai
3) regarding Turbo is that too much car for the street? I mean does it feel like you're only using 50% of the car 95% of the time?

The old saying more fun to drive the Miata and be able to beat on it. It seems like the 991 is more of a proper GT (almost) luxury car that can scoot. It's a jack of all trades, but might the Turbo be the proverbial bazooka to kill a fly (on public roads) and the GTS might be somewhat lower limits due to RWD and less power and less tire (not sure is tires are differed).

Thanks
Yes, it very much is a bazooka to kill a fly and the limits are far too high for the streets. 0-60 in <3 seconds means that almost without exception, after less than 3 seconds at full throttle you're breaking the law. And if a Miata is a flyswatter, the GTS is probably an AK-47. I'd suspect the base Carrera with a MT is the most fun on the street, and a 718 might be more fun still.

If you want a flyswatter, IMHO your best bet is to buy that base C2 MT or get a different car along with the 911 and spec and use the 911 as a great DD. A GTS plus a Lotus Elise or similar would be comparable in cost to stepping from the GTS into a TT. In my case, I DD a TT and have a Spec Boxster project for a track toy. It works out great for what I want, and the Boxster donor cost was the same as the aerokit option alone on the TT.

Keep in mind that a TT offers a different experience than a Carrera GTS. My TT accelerates from 0-60 faster than my modified Ducati Diavel muscle bike did, and quite frankly that's a cool trick to add to the 911's already impressive DD repertoire. But TT/PDK/AWD is a set of choices not all are happy with. And while I'd happily buy a GTS in RWD or Targa forms to enjoy them for what they are and aren't, I'd personally always get a TT over a PDK C4GTS as I feel the big compromises are already made.
Old 06-25-2017 | 10:17 PM
MD911
2nd Gear

Bunch of 4s. GTS is Special. Go Silver.
Old 06-27-2017 | 01:59 PM
triplekg
Racer

Carrera white GTS ordered - Glass Roof, PDK
Old 06-27-2017 | 02:58 PM
caritch
Instructor

Congrats!
Old 06-27-2017 | 04:23 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Congrats. Any word on the ETA?
Old 07-04-2017 | 12:30 PM
triplekg
Racer

I cancelled the Order... I currently own a Corvette Z06 and after much debating it wasn't worth going from the Corvette Z06 which is an amazing car to a GTS or 4S....

Have a meeting with my financial guy to see if I can swing a Turbo which is what I wanted from the first place!
Old 07-04-2017 | 01:53 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triplekg
I cancelled the Order... I currently own a Corvette Z06 and after much debating it wasn't worth going from the Corvette Z06 which is an amazing car to a GTS or 4S....

Have a meeting with my financial guy to see if I can swing a Turbo which is what I wanted from the first place!
I was going to get a C2S and ended up with a TT. Very happy with it!
Old 07-05-2017 | 02:11 PM
triplekg
Racer

Originally Posted by ace37
I was going to get a C2S and ended up with a TT. Very happy with it!
Beautiful car - What colour is that?
Old 07-05-2017 | 04:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triplekg
Beautiful car - What colour is that?
Thanks! It's Guards Red with the black aerokit. I really like it.

If you want a red 911 you ought to also look at a Carmine Red. It's a deeper color without the mild orange undertone of Guards. I prefer Guards but YMMV. If you can wait a while for the car, paint to sample is also pretty neat.
Old 07-05-2017 | 11:44 PM
triplekg
Racer

such a hard decision .... Problem is I think I like my Z06 more than the 911 I know that sounds crazy but it's true.....

Need a few more sleeps!

Quick Reply: 911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!