Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where could I find a feature list showing the added features of the GTS?

Is it just a computer flash that adds power or different turbos than the S?

Also, has it got bigger brakes?

Has GTS included leather or Alcatran interior? that would be several thousand on an S.

Last edited by rai; 06-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:47 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Porsche configurator (Confusiartor?) should give most of the detailed differences. If not drop by your local dealer and ask a SA. I got a few (3-4) % off on my 2017 TTS Cab, but it was my third new Porsche buy from the same dealer in 4 years.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Where could I find a feature list showing the added features of the GTS?

Is it just a computer flash that adds power or different turbos than the S?

Also, has it got bigger brakes?

Has it got included leather interior that would be several thousand on an S?
GTS has black center lock wheels, wide body chassis, tinted tail lights, black painted nozzles, black badges, sport design mirrors, sports chrono, pse, spasm, pdls headlights, bump in power, alcantara interior, gt steering wheel, sport design front bumper, sport plus seats 4 way

its makes more power from bigger turbos and tune.

same brakes

GTS standard interior has partial leather and alcanrara seats, steering wheel, shifter while the full leather is an up charge for leather dash, doors, and etc.

Last edited by mikex25; 06-24-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Based on what your needs seem to be (no specific need for AWD) and also the advice of the other replies:
Go GTS in Lava Orange! With the GTS black wheels LO looks great. I have seen this combination on a 2016 GTS. Resale will be better on the GTS too and it will be a touch faster.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:10 AM
rai
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikex25
GTS has black center lock wheels, wide body chassis, tinted tail lights, black painted nozzles, black badges, sport design mirrors, sports chrono, pse, spasm, pdls headlights, bump in power, alcantara interior, gt steering wheel

its makes more power from bigger turbos and tune.

same brakes

GTS standard interior has partial leather and alcanrara seats, steering wheel, shifter while the full leather is an up charge for leather dash, doors, and etc.
Thanks, different exhaust too?

I was looking for an online PDF of feature matrix

Here is brochure for the 2015 version
https://my.porsche.com/filestore.asp...9-0019999cd470

Last edited by rai; 06-24-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 AM
rai
Instructor

There's a lot included with GTS package
Old 06-24-2017, 01:21 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by rai

yes, you get the sport exhaust with the black tips.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:26 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by rai
There's a lot included with GTS package

I also forgot to mention on my reply you get the sport design front bumper and 4 way sport plus seats standard

If you were already going to get sport exhaust, sport chrono, spasm, sport mirrors, gt wheels, pdls headlights it's a better deal going GTS due to the base price including these options. While an S with these options will depreciate more due to value based on car without options.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by rai

here is the 991.2 brochure

http://files1.porsche.com/filestore/...-Catalogue.pdf
Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Personally I'd get the GTS or spend more and get a TT over a 991.2 4S. (That's sort of what I did actually.) And don't forget the base C2 is pretty great if you have other things you'd like to spend your money on.

You can always get the 5 lugs and then buy the rims you like on eBay or from the aftermarket.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:43 AM
linusto
Instructor

Interesting discussion. I went through exactly what you are now trying to decide a few months back. In my case, I ended up with a C4 GTS in GT Silver.

GTS vs 4S. As many have stated here, GTS wins, no question. Ok, it's pretty much a slightly rebadged version of the S or 4S but if you appreciate the extras, you're actually paying less with the GTS model. Turbos are bigger as well, if that matters to you. I like all of the little black accents on the car as well S the front bumper and aerokit. It's just something different from the standard Carrera and it stands out a bit, in a good way. I opted for the full interior in alcantara and the silver GTS stitching. The GTS should also hold its value more than an S or 4S due to there being much fewer available.

AWD vs RWD. I am a big time RWD fan and initially wanted to go down this route. But I also want to drive it year round. So being in the Toronto area, I wanted that extra margin of safety and traction capability in conjunction with winter tires. Also, my wife and kids will be driving it occasionally. If this is a summer only car and a couple of nice days in winter, no harm in sticking with RWD and save a bit of money. In terms of feel, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between RWD and AWD outside of the traction benefits of the latter especially if not really pushing the car. The AWD in the 911 is THAT good. Oh, from everything I've read, you should give serious consideration to rear wheel steering. I think all the GT cars have it and it supposedly gives the car added agility and nimbleness without feeling gimmicky. I checked that box as well.

PDK vs MT. I'm a MT guy as well, but checked the PDK box for this one. Can't really go wrong with either. I have a Mazda MX-5 in MT and also hoping to snag a 991.2 GT3 in MT as well, so this one had to be PDK as it may become my DD over time and also can be driven by my family.

Colour choice. Obviously, a very personal decision with no wrong or right. BUT... I should alert you to something that gave rise to colour changes in my own situation. Like you, I really admired Lava Orange. I was 100% set on ordering it. I went to the Oakville dealership as I knew they had one in the showroom. Drop dead gorgeous. However, I soon realized that you need to see every colour outside of the showroom as well. They can look much different in the wild and under natural lighting, especially when not 100% clean and polished. I saw a lava orange outside under such conditions and it then became clear to me that this was not the colour for me. It was very flat when even slightly dirty. I was kinda bummed by that. My two choices became GT Silver and Carmine Red. I could easily have gone with either but went for GT Silver recognizing that I might do CR for a GT3. Family also preferred the silver.

Dealership. They're generally all fine to work with in my experience. You need to find a good SA. That makes all the difference. I was also able to get a decent discount. Not sure this would be a normal outcome but I did push. The key is to find a dealer with more than one allocation for that particular month.

Ordered in May, delivery August.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Mcupples
2nd Gear

One regret I had getting my 4S was not picking it up in Europe driving it around for a few weeks and having them ship it home for me... believe there is n/c to do this as all porsches get shipped from Germany.

Autobahn, Nurburgring....
Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 AM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

on my way to dealership now... lets see how it goes
Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 AM
rai
Instructor

Couple questions.

1) If I'm ordering the center lock wheels how much of a pain are they to dismount?

Reason being if I plan to use snow tires will I need to go to the dealership every time or can a local tire shop switch them? Is it possible to do it myself?

2) RWD vs AWD it seems most prefer the RWD (feel) in dry, but AWD if you will be driving all weather conditions.

Is AWD not great for resale value? Does AWD make the car less fun?

3) regarding Turbo is that too much car for the street? I mean does it feel like you're only using 50% of the car 95% of the time?

The old saying more fun to drive the Miata and be able to beat on it. It seems like the 991 is more of a proper GT (almost) luxury car that can scoot. It's a jack of all trades, but might the Turbo be the proverbial bazooka to kill a fly (on public roads) and the GTS might be somewhat lower limits due to RWD and less power and less tire (not sure is tires are differed).

Thanks

Last edited by rai; 06-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 AM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

a few things came up today couldn;'t make it to dealership...

Lets me sleep on color - Im going Lava Oragnge GTS - only options PDK Glass Roof Steering Assist Smokers Package

Quick Reply: 911 4s vs GTS - PLEASE HELP ORDERING SATURDAY!