Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

International Engine of the Year Awards 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Hi - excellent suggestion! The above was needed because besides the person's screen name the reasons certain people make certain choices clearly aren't "sticking."

All I heard was "I'll be too far ahead of you," yes indeed, congratulations again on the technical superiority of the new motor, I mean that wholeheartedly.

Hint: other cars go even faster while costing less, if speed is your thing, Sticky!

I think you new owners appear a lot more insecure...
So why are you in a thread about the new motor getting international recognition complaining and whining?

I chose my car based on a combination of factors which IMO the 991.2 best delivers. I never said speed was the only factor. You did.

I also don't record my exhaust note and play it to get my wife in the mood.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Your endless tirades putting down every vehicle but the ones you own undermine your credibility. We've all encountered our share of internet superheroes and you, sir, are the star of Rennlist. Can't wait until the 992 comes out to see how you either defend the 991.2 as superior or immediately jump ship and cast stones upon it.

Cheers.

NF
The 992 will out perform the 991 - thats how it is with Porsche.

The usual suspects, as always are here raining on everyones parade - looks like you've joined the club. Well done - do you own one of the turbo models - or a 3l turbo - thats what this thread is about. No, I thought not.

Last edited by randr; 07-07-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:06 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I DD the 3.8 and rarely even use full throttle. Thus I have determined that people who say it's way slow:

1. Drive like psychopaths

or

2. Shift way too early

or

3. Are basing this conclusion on magazine-derived performance numbers not real street usage
The fact remains the the turbo engines deliver significant performance gains - everywhere. Something that is measurable.

Dewinator, Bemo, R Rated, NF - its very apparent you don't like turbo charged cars. Thats to be respected and that is your choice. However, the repeated interjections in turbo based threads looks like bitterness.

Many of us don't like the 991.1 for a vast array of reasons and have made other choices. This doesn't change the simple base case that the .2 series outguns the .1 series across the board by a significant margin. Its nothing unusual thats what Porsche does.

Last edited by randr; 07-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
The 992 will perform better than the 991 - thats how it is with Porsche.

The usual suspects are here raining on everyones parade - looks like you've joined the club. Well done - do you own one of the turbo models - or a 3l turbo - thats what this thread is about. No, I thought not.

Actually I'd like to point out that I think the 3.0L turbo is certainly the better motor in nearly every way. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and some day hope to upgrade to a 911.2 myself.

That said, I didn't realize this thread was only for 3L turbo owners and apologize to that apparently very sensitive group.

Lastly I'd like to suggest that perhaps you prefer a quiet motor so that you can hear yourself talk? From what we've seen here you can't get enough of yourself...constantly putting down other people and their cars.

Cheers,
NF
Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM
randr
Banned

Actually I'd like to point out that I think the 3.0L turbo is certainly the better motor in nearly every way. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and some day hope to upgrade to a 911.2 myself.

That said, I didn't realize this thread was only for 3L turbo owners and apologize to that apparently very sensitive group.

Lastly I'd like to suggest that perhaps you prefer a quiet motor so that you can hear yourself talk? From what we've seen here you can't get enough of yourself.

Cheers,
NF
The thread is about the turbo charged engine - do you own one? No, does dewinator - No, does Bemo - No, does R rated - No. read the first page of the thread, its very telling.

I own both NA and turbo charged Porsche sports cars.

From this comes knowledge, experience and some insight - this is not only based on driving them as dailys but also includes a lot of track time - including the collection of significant amounts of telemetry (currently over 18,000 readings on the 991.2 S). I have even shared this data with a number of people, perhaps one of the few to do so on Rennlist.

However, all you guys seem to have is bitterness and hot air derived from a platform of ignorance. Whether you like it or not, thats how it comes across and whats worse, without exception, you play the man and not the ball. The latter, in its own right speaks volumes.

Last edited by randr; 07-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

The fact remains the the turbo engines deliver significant performance gains - everywhere. Something that is measurable.

Dewinator, Bemo, R Rated, NF - its very apparent you don't like turbo charged cars. Thats to be respected and that is your choice. However, the repeated interjections in turbo based threads looks like bitterness.

Many of us don't like the 991.1 for a vast array of reasons and have made other choices. This doesn't change the simple base case that the .2 series outguns the .1 series by a significant margin. Its nothing unusual thats what Porsche does.
I wonder if the thought crossed anyone's mind you can own more than one car with one type of motor as well...
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 123 Posts

The thread is about the turbo charged engine - do you own one? No, does dewinator - No, does Bemo - No, does R rated - No. read the first page of the thread, its very telling.

I own both NA and turbo charged Porsche sports cars.

From this comes knowledge, experience and some insight - this is not only based on driving them as dailys but also includes a lot of track time - including the collection of significant amounts of telemetry (currently over 18,000 readings on the 991.2 S). I have even shared this data with a number of people, perhaps one of the few to do so on Rennlist.

However, all you guys seem to have is bitterness and hot air derived from a platform of ignorance. Whether you like it or not, thats how it comes across and whats worse, without exception, you play the man and not the ball. The latter, in its own right speaks volumes.
Perhaps your reading comprehension needs improvement. I have not criticized the .2 engine at all in this thread and just stated I hope to upgrade to one in the future. I'm not a .2 hater at all. Just tired of you turning every thread into a criticism of the 991.1. And that's the last of me in this thread. Life's too short!

Cheers,
NF
Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
So why are you in a thread about the new motor getting international recognition complaining and whining?

I chose my car based on a combination of factors which IMO the 991.2 best delivers. I never said speed was the only factor. You did.

I also don't record my exhaust note and play it to get my wife in the mood.
So you bought an award, go for a quiet ride and relax. I tend to vacuum just once a week.

And don't tell me which threads to post in.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 PM
randr
Banned

Perhaps your reading comprehension needs improvement. I have not criticized the .2 engine at all in this thread and just stated I hope to upgrade to one in the future. I'm not a .2 hater at all. Just tired of you turning every thread into a criticism of the 991.1. And that's the last of me in this thread. Life's too short!

Cheers,
NF
I think you need to re-read a few of those threads. I have no interest in the 991.1. Not only is your assertion factually incorrect, you continue to play the man and not the ball.

Last edited by randr; 07-08-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 PM
randr
Banned

Thread back on track

http://www.ukimediaevents.com/engine...s.php?id=ieoty

That the race to win the outright International Engine of the Year Award was a close call – Porsche’s 911 3.0 turbo finished just 35 points off the pace.........

2107 Runner up overall Porsche 3-litre six-cylinder turbo
2017 Best engine - 2.5-litre to 3-litre: Porsche 3-litre six-cylinder turbo
2016 Best engine - 2.5-litre to 3-litre: Porsche 3-litre six-cylinder turbo

The last Porsche NA engine to win an award was in 2013 for the 2.7l unit found in the Boxster and Cayman.

The winner of the 2017 engine of the year was described in the following way - “It’s fitting that probably the best turbocharged engine ever developed has secured back-to-back outright International Engine of the Year Award titles,” enthused Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the International Engine of the Year Awards.

“This blend of heart-thumping performance on both road and track, with a glorious V8 Maranello rumble and an ultra-sophisticated design that’s loaded with advanced technologies, makes the Ferrari V8 unbeatable for another year.”

Runner up to the "best turbo charged engine ever developed" is a great outcome.

The effective compression ratio of the 3lTT at 5PSI is 13.4 at 7PSI its 14.76 (for reference the .2GT3 engine is 13.3 and the Speciale is 14.5). At 16 PSI its ~ 21. One of the reasons this engine is so good, and so very responsive is its high initial static compression ratio of ~ 10.

Last edited by randr; 07-08-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Your wife wasn't impressed? Well, that decides it. We all go by your wife's car recommendations.

Why in the world didn't the judges and engineers at the International Engine of the Year Awards check with your wife before awarding the 9A2 back to back engine awards as well as awards in multiple classes? Why in the world did the 991.1 3.8 or 3.4 never get an award? Didn't your wife tell them?

It's funny how insecure 991.1 owners are. Enjoy your emotionally engaging engine. I'll be too far ahead of you to hear your awesome engine sound anyway.
Sorry, had to chime in here. This is just an asinine post

The man expressed an opinion. He is entitled to have one. He didn't state any false information, just his opinion. Seems to me that the insecure ones are those .2 owners (not all of them) who just can't accept that even though the .1 owners publicly acknowledge, multiple times, that the 3.0 liter cars are faster, and better for daily driving, that we don't find no them as satisfying. Why is that so hard to understand? Why feel the need to bash that opinion? It's the same (stupid) argument of stick vs PDK. There isn't a stick owner on here who won't admit that the PDK isn't technically superior, faster, easier than drive, and yet, some people prefer it. And some PDK owners also experience the same teeth gnashing reaction that somehow the stick owners are bashing PDK by stating our preference lies with the stick. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

I've driven the .2's, and I there is a guy in my neighborhood who has one and is on the same commuting schedule I am. I see him at least one nice a eeek and often end up behind him. He likes to romp on it getting away from the light. And even with the sport exhaust, his car is really, really quiet. It's disappointing. I bet the car would wake up really well with an aftermarket exhaust (I've heard some great 997 turbos) but stock with PSE, it's very quiet compared to a 991. And just like it's a fact that the .2 engine is noticeably faster than the .1, and easier to drive around town because of the torque, it is also a fact that the .2 is way quieter.

And yes, my wife noticed too. We did back to back test drives.

I just don't get why people are constantly attacked for saying the .2 noise doesn't provide the emotional connection they are looking for. After all, isnt that what the 911 is about? And while it may be fine for you, just as a PDK may be fine for some, for others it's just not enough.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

R Rated - its very apparent you don't like turbo charged cars.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:04 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Sorry, had to chime in here. I just don't get why people are constantly attacked for saying the .2 noise doesn't provide the emotional connection they are looking for. After all, isnt that what the 911 is about? And while it may be fine for you, just as a PDK may be fine for some, for others it's just not enough.
I think its because its so subjective - if something sounds different it must be better or worse than XYZ. From a sound perspective, if that were the driver for me - well, I'd simply cut to the chase and buy a 458 Speciale

Its worth pondering the following - from CnD

991.1TTS at idle 57db, 70 mph 72db, WOT 82db
991.2 S at idle 52db, 70 mph 71db, WOT 86db
991.1 base at idle 48db, 70 mph 76db, WOT 89db
991.1 GTS at idle 54db, 70 mph 75db, WOT 89db
981 GTS at idle 51db, 70 mph 77db, WOT 91db
991.1 GT3RS at idle 61db, 70mph 79db, WOT 108db

Last edited by randr; 07-08-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bemo
So you bought an award, go for a quiet ride and relax. I tend to vacuum just once a week.

And don't tell me which threads to post in.
I bought it before the award came out. The fact it is more highly regarded of a motor and the fact it outperforms yours significantly is just icing on the cake.

U mad bro?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Sorry, had to chime in here. This is just an asinine post

The man expressed an opinion. He is entitled to have one. He didn't state any false information, just his opinion. Seems to me that the insecure ones are those .2 owners (not all of them) who just can't accept that even though the .1 owners publicly acknowledge, multiple times, that the 3.0 liter cars are faster, and better for daily driving, that we don't find no them as satisfying. Why is that so hard to understand? Why feel the need to bash that opinion? It's the same (stupid) argument of stick vs PDK. There isn't a stick owner on here who won't admit that the PDK isn't technically superior, faster, easier than drive, and yet, some people prefer it. And some PDK owners also experience the same teeth gnashing reaction that somehow the stick owners are bashing PDK by stating our preference lies with the stick. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

I've driven the .2's, and I there is a guy in my neighborhood who has one and is on the same commuting schedule I am. I see him at least one nice a eeek and often end up behind him. He likes to romp on it getting away from the light. And even with the sport exhaust, his car is really, really quiet. It's disappointing. I bet the car would wake up really well with an aftermarket exhaust (I've heard some great 997 turbos) but stock with PSE, it's very quiet compared to a 991. And just like it's a fact that the .2 engine is noticeably faster than the .1, and easier to drive around town because of the torque, it is also a fact that the .2 is way quieter.

And yes, my wife noticed too. We did back to back test drives.

I just don't get why people are constantly attacked for saying the .2 noise doesn't provide the emotional connection they are looking for. After all, isnt that what the 911 is about? And while it may be fine for you, just as a PDK may be fine for some, for others it's just not enough.
Right, because posting in all caps isn't asine at all.

In my opinion I don't care what someone's wife might think about an exhaust note. The only reason he referenced it is because he is reaching for whatever he can to reinforce in his mind that his car is not outdated and inferior. He's seriously using his wife for backup on this. That says enough in of itself.

As an owner of a 991.2 with PSE it is hardly quiet. Then again, I have a bit more experience with it than you do. When I start it people turn and look. I often make sure I start it with the valves closed because of how loud it is. Quiet is not the word for it.

The only emotional connection being experienced is butthurt from 991.1 owners constantly interjecting in threads where the 991.2 is having praise heaped on it. All they have at the end of the day is some perceived notion of emotion brought on by engine noise. The posts drip with bitterness.

Quick Reply: International Engine of the Year Awards 2017