Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

International Engine of the Year Awards 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Pete, plan on writing any articles for 000 Magazine on the 991.1 GT3 engine flaws that the "Rennlist Concerned Owners Group" is trying to get addressed?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Kinda like winning the Junior Olympics. Who won the grown-up engine category?
Ferrari did: http://www.****************/content.p...ne-of-the-year

The tone of this thread is odd. I wonder if some of you ever have fun on forums.

The Porsche 9A2 design picking up two awards is a big deal. The 3.0 9A2B6 knocked out the BMW S55 last year and gets back to back 2.5 - 3.0 liter awards.

The 2.0 9A2B4 knocks out the Mercedes-AMG M133 which had three straight wins in its displacement category.

Oh, and the Porsche 3.8 someone is talking about never won anything.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Is that a crack at the sound of the 3.0tt?

Also - I don't see enough diversity amongst the winners...

Additionally - so you strapped on turbos and made power - so shocking....

The 3.8 was and will always be a marvel in the same way the S54 was for the BMW crowd. The new Porsche 4.0 is also going to be an engineering marvel but won't get the attention because its not 600hp for the money. Audi's V10 (NA) should also be included. The Audi and GT3 punch so far above their weight!
You don't see enough diversity among the winners? So you're blind or what?

The S54 won its class for six straight years by the way while competing against larger Porsche motors...

The idea that you think it is about outright power is laughable.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
You don't see enough diversity among the winners? So you're blind or what?

The S54 won its class for six straight years by the way while competing against larger Porsche motors...

The idea that you think it is about outright power is laughable.
It was a joke about grammy's and such since the winners were almost all german. Lighten up. I was praising the S54 and still miss the scream of my M Roadster with an S54 and a CSL OEM intake... You think the 3.8 is a screamer.... THAT was a screamer
Old 06-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It was a joke about grammy's and such since the winners were almost all german. Lighten up. I was praising the S54 and still miss the scream of my M Roadster with an S54 and a CSL OEM intake... You think the 3.8 is a screamer.... THAT was a screamer
Ah I didn't even think to apply liberal nonsense to engineering awards.

I never said the 3.8 was a screamer. As a matter of fact, it never impressed me or the judges at the International Engine of the Year Awards it seems.

I fondly remember my E46 M3 and all the S54 victories against Porsche in particular.

The Audi 5.2 V10 is included btw maybe do some research?

The GT3 4.0 may very well win its class next year although they seem to be enamored with the Ferrari F154.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

So congratulations to Porsche on the win.
I drove a new 911 base and it was quick and efficient but not emotionally engaging for ME!
If a want a quiet appliance, I'll get a Tesla with a ludicrous mode.

I need drama.

The loudness and linear acceleration of the 3.8 did it for me. The way I see it, we got in at the end of the NA "grand finale!"
Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
This is one of the reasons why I am not buying more GT cars. They are not as well tested nor as reliable as the regular production cars. The GT department has not been able to match the 991.2 test cycle given their budget.
Originally Posted by STG
Can you expand upon this comment? Not sure what you're saying here.
In this article, Preuninger says "The endurance testing on the street car is way beyond anything we do to a racecar."

Ideally GT3 engine and GT4 transmission issues would have been caught by test drivers, not by customers. This implies to me not enough testing, which implies not enough time and money dedicated to GT development (budget).

Last edited by asia; 06-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bemo
So congratulations to Porsche on the win.
I drove a new 911 base and it was quick and efficient but not emotionally engaging for ME!
If a want a quiet appliance, I'll get a Tesla with a ludicrous mode.

I need drama.

The loudness and linear acceleration of the 3.8 did it for me. The way I see it, we got in at the end of the NA "grand finale!"
GT3 owners get the NA grand finale. You do not.

All the 3.8 happens to be is slower and replaced. If a huge torque punch down low isn't engaging you are just deluding yourself.

Want drama? Line up next to any 3.0 in your 3.8 and we'll get plenty of drama on the forums I'm sure as you try to explain away what happened.

Last edited by sticky; 06-26-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

GT3 owners get the NA grand finale. You aren't.

All the 3.8 happens to be is slower and replaced. If a huge torque punch down low isn't engaging you are just deluding yourself.

Want drama? Line up next to any 3.0 in your 3.8 and we'll get plenty of drama on the forums I'm sure as you try to explain away what happened.
^ +1. I'll admit the .1 base and S sound great, but honestly couldn't find the beef during at least half a dozen test drives in a mix of 3.4 and 3.8 variants. Chalk that up to crappy test drive routes, sales people who think you'll make a decision after driving it around the block, and an engine that is better suited to the open road than suburban areas. The .2 just works better for me and after driving a PDK and manual had me part with money for a manual base car.
By the way, I did drive a .1 with the X51 Powerkit and loved it...but it was not within my budget.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

PSE! Much quieter without it.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

All the gasoline engine happens to be is slower and replaced. If a huge torque punch down low isn't engaging you are just deluding yourself.

Want drama? Line up next to any tesla in your gasoline engine and we'll get plenty of drama on the forums I'm sure as you try to explain away what happened.
FIFY
Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
FIFY
Have yet to lose to any Tesla on the street...
Old 06-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Have yet to lose to any Tesla on the street...
Unfortunately the rest of us have to put up with driving around minding our own business while other drivers are like "hey there's another dbag Porsh driver like the one I saw trying to race a Tesla on the street last week, cut him off!"
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Ah I didn't even think to apply liberal nonsense to engineering awards.

I never said the 3.8 was a screamer. As a matter of fact, it never impressed me or the judges at the International Engine of the Year Awards it seems.

I fondly remember my E46 M3 and all the S54 victories against Porsche in particular.

The Audi 5.2 V10 is included btw maybe do some research?

The GT3 4.0 may very well win its class next year although they seem to be enamored with the Ferrari F154.
what are you debating?

i'll go on record with stating that I believe the 3.8 to be a screamer. I love it.

and I'm very far from liberal...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

GT3 owners get the NA grand finale. You do not.

Sounds like somebody is bitter and can use a naturally aspirated motor!

Let me be clear again, the 3.0's performance superiority is undisputed. So buy one and win the traffic light races, good on you!
I could have bought a new .2 but was absolutely disappointed with how indifferent it felt. It executed everything with ruthless precision and ability but was not emotionally engaging for ME! If YOU like it, get it.
We all vote with our wallets.
As for the "NA grand finale" you are correct, the GT3 it is, at least for now. Happy now?

Quick Reply: International Engine of the Year Awards 2017