Sponsored by:

Refinish Black Wheels in Silver

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Refinish Black Wheels in Silver

I replaced the black centerlock wheels that came on my black GTS with some silver aftermarket wheels to give the overall appearance more contrast.

I've been unsuccessful in selling the black factory wheels and since then have seen another forum member's silver version of these same wheels. Very nice in silver.

I briefly inquired locally to get pricing on having these refinished in silver. By the time I got the quote back from what I thought was a local business, it ended up being somewhere else. Not a big deal, but I put this project on the back burner for awhile.

A quick search here didn't show any other topics on this.

Does anyone have any experience with getting some factory wheels refinished?

For reference, here is the link to my sale ad for these wheels:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...and-tires.html
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9376...gt-silver.html
Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Damn. Thanks.

Thought that I had searched well enough to not get caught like that.

Sorry forum members.

Thanks Boulder Mike.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Lol. Np. I scoured the forum myself as Im also one of the few that really prefers silver over black wheels. So I ordered a GT silver GTS4 with cxx wheels painted in GT silver. That said I plan on buying a spare set of black wheels with winter tire set.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

the wheels are made in bare aluminum and clear coated , since yours are black they were painted black. You have a choice of painting over with any silver paint and clear coating or stripping and clear coating.
Let a good co like wheel enhancement do it and youll have oem quality, any other local may not do a reasonable job
Old 06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Just my 10 cents: Be sure that whoever does your wheels understands the proper techniques for high performance wheels if you get them powder coated, preferably a high performance wheel specialty shop... not one of the commodity wheel fix-it places or a general powder-coater without wheel experience. Most powders require baking temperatures and/or times that are not safe and weaken the wheel structure, while many commodity wheels do not have a problem with this. You'll find varying opinions on what a safe powercoat bake time/temp is, but it is somewhere below the 400+ degrees often used in powder coating... by my understanding.

Others here may be able to guide you on this better, and many will recommend just painting them although the finish isn't as robust... but maybe that will be good enough.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just my 10 cents: Be sure that whoever does your wheels understands the proper techniques for high performance wheels if you get them powder coated, preferably a high performance wheel specialty shop... not one of the commodity wheel fix-it places or a general powder-coater without wheel experience. Most powders require baking temperatures and/or times that are not safe and weaken the wheel structure, while many commodity wheels do not have a problem with this. You'll find varying opinions on what a safe powercoat bake time/temp is, but it is somewhere below the 400+ degrees often used in powder coating... by my understanding.

Others here may be able to guide you on this better, and many will recommend just painting them although the finish isn't as robust... but maybe that will be good enough.
This is true. Many think just any shop can powder coat a wheel, but doing it correctly without causing damage/fatigue to the wheel takes some knowledge.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I mean we don't want to brag or nothing... LOL

Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

^^^ They have my vote. The other thing to mention is that a highly reputable shop like Wheel Dynamics is that they'll strip and clean it properly first too.

Quick Reply: Refinish Black Wheels in Silver