Sponsored by:

GTS vs Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
991.2 GT3 is better... not worth as much but a better car.
Amen!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I have heard insurance on a turbo is much higher than on a GTS. Maybe something to consider...

Also - my friend has a Turbo S. I have a GTS. I have driven his a few times and pushed the car pretty hard. It's an amazing machine, no doubt, and I was worried that I would feel that I had made a mistake with my GTS but instead it made me appreciate the GTS even more. The Turbo S was just too fast for me. It got you to speed so quickly with an instant burst of torque (and "different" sound) I was left saying to myself "what the hell just happened" And "thank god we didn't die!" The GTS let's you enjoy the ride a bit more with a different power delivery and symphony which I prefer over the TTS.

I have also tailed and kept up with a TTS at laguna in my GTS. I eventually passed him after a few laps on turn 3 after he spun out. I'm sure it was an inexperienced driver but the point is HP and TQ do not define how enjoyable a sports car is or how well it will perform.

- signed GTS owner.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I will enjoy the GTS for a few years and then get the Turbo S once my lease is up. I am sure Targa GTS with PDK will feel faster than my base Targa 4 with MT.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
This is an excellent strategy to save Tax.
Well, I hadn't really planned on that, but as long as you buy from a dealer, yes, it does.

In GA if you buy from a private party no sales tax. I bought the Turbo private, but also sold it private, so no advantage there trading it on the GTS. The dealer's offer was way, way lower than the private sale minus the tax savings.

But yeah, if I had bought a new 997TT and traded even or down (pricewise) each time I would have saved 7% each time (which did happen with the GT4).
Old 06-23-2017, 06:01 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the Turbo S is too easy to drive fast. Power is everywhere anytime you tap the gas.
Good for a DD, not so good for a fun car. You don't get rewarded for working hard with the car.
Maybe that's why people are so into MT + NA combo.

I haven't driven the 991.2 GTS, but I would take the 991.1 GTS over the Turbo S as a more balanced car.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
I haven't driven the 991.2 GTS, but I would take the 991.1 GTS over the Turbo S as a more balanced car.
Exactly the choice I made in early-2015. I had a 997TT at the time; went into the store to test a PDK-anything to see if I liked the 'box enough to order a 991 Turbo. Low and behold, I liked the 991S so much I decided the NA 911s finally had enough hp to keep me happy, so I ordered a .1 GTS instead of the Turbo.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
The funny thing is my buddy who got a Turbo S was initially going to get a C4S, but it was only about $30G more for the Turbo S, so he told me it was better financial decision to go for the TTS. My fully optioned GTS Targa is about $191,000. I'm sure I can order a well-optioned Turbo S for only $30,000 more, which on a 3 lease only works out to only $ 5G per year. The problem is that my trade in for the GTS was a Ferrari 458, so I won't have to pay tax on the GTS lease. I'm not sure I can do that on a TTS that I haven't ordered yet. Live and learn.
My TT MSRP was slightly less than your Targa GTS and I got every option I wanted. It was purchased to be a DD and has been excellent. A TGTS would be an excellent DD too. Different focus, different kind of big smile when you drive it, but both would make for a great DD.

And honestly, neither are great on the track despite their huge competency and capability. They're just too heavy for the very reasons that make them great street cars. I'd love to see someone gut and cage a TT or TTS, but with Porsche offering GT# and Cup cars it's a lot of work and expense.

What do you want the car for?

If you want to go really fast at the track, forget a turbo or any true street car. Buy an old radical and run it on slicks. Have a shop maintain and store it and you can drive home in the targa with the top down.

Personally I have a race car project for the track and enjoy the turbo as a DD. I really like the arrangement - might work for you too! I started out by renting a local SPB for a DE.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:04 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Turbo all day long.

The seemingly unlimited supply of power and ridiculous acceleration is addictive and fun as hell. I'm coming from a GT4 and there is nothing boring about the Turbos, IMO.

Let's be honest - the .2 GTS4 and TTS are way more similar than not. I mean it's a turbocharged AWD 991.2, either way. Go with the one that has more power, speed and acceleration. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
The following users liked this post:
KWPA (06-22-2021)
Old 06-24-2017, 03:21 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I will enjoy the GTS for a few years and then get the Turbo S once my lease is up. I am sure Targa GTS with PDK will feel faster than my base Targa 4 with MT.
You made a prudent decision. Chasing the fastest car can be a very expensive undertaking. Moreover, I'm certain that you will enjoy your Targa, and on the street it will provide similar performance to a Turbo, unless of course the Turbo's owner completely flouts traffic laws.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

TARGA GTS IS THE WAY TO GO

Old 08-06-2017, 06:04 AM
IreneYoung
Cruisin'

Good for you. So, how much is your lease for your GTS? Maybe if you can share it here. :-) I am also thinking to lease the 2017 Targa 4 GTS before year ends. Hoping to get the best deal on my dealer.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 AM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IreneYoung
Good for you. So, how much is your lease for your GTS? Maybe if you can share it here. :-) I am also thinking to lease the 2017 Targa 4 GTS before year ends. Hoping to get the best deal on my dealer.
if you want to lease you're better off with a 2018. Unless you can get massive discounts (which I don't see happening on Targa 4 GTS. KenTo and I are in Canada so our lease rates, Residuals are very different than the US. It's not just a currency conversation.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 AM
IreneYoung
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
if you want to lease you're better off with a 2018. Unless you can get massive discounts (which I don't see happening on Targa 4 GTS. KenTo and I are in Canada so our lease rates, Residuals are very different than the US. It's not just a currency conversation.
I think so. I will just contact my DSR Leasing dealer about this deal. Thank you for great advice here.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The only reasons to go with a GTS over a turbo are the MT and 2wd. Comparing a PDK AWD GTS to a turbo there is no benefit other than cost to the GTS (IMHO). I suppose if you love the targa (I would have a cab before the targa personally) that is another reason.

If the TT came with a 6MT like the GT cars I could live with AWD (always was a 2wd guy but I have a 993 C4 and I like it). Why Porsche can't make AWD and MT an option on everything I have no idea. A stripper turbo with 6MT 2wd no sunroof would be perfect and would immediately end my GT3 quest. I mean you have infinite options for small stuff that does not matter (what color do you want your sport chrono dial, how about deviated stitching on the rear center tunnel for $1190), but no box for manual no box for 2wd?

Quick Reply: GTS vs Turbo S?