Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

The decibel increase is from 104 (stock PSE, sport mode) to 109 (Akra cans, sport mode). Its in my video. Sport plus is 102 and 104 respectively. Not really that much louder, but definitely sounds more badassy in real life. Small amount of drone at 2k rpm with the akra muffler + AMS air filter, they definitely flow better. You can almost completely remove the drone by hitting the PSE button whenever youre cruising.

For reference a 991.1 (NA) carrera S with IPE exhaust is 122 dB with valves open. This is twice as loud (100% for every 10 increase in dB, log scale).
Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I have a cab so I was worried about the same thing, didn't want it too loud especially with the top down. I have the full system and I can tell you it's definitely not too loud. Louder and sounds good, but it doesn't increase the volume a ton.
That's great feedback. Do you have headers? I have Vektor headers. They made a nice tone difference. Great power. Tiny bit louder. I am ok with more sound, I just don't want it like my catless M4 which is obnoxious.

Originally Posted by fsmich
I had the Akra cats on for 300 miles, and did not notice any sound or power difference. Wish I had done a before and after dyno. Ordered the cans and now have 2000mi/3 track days on the system. The volume is a marginal increase, the tone is smoother and more refined. You will not think it is too loud!
Wow, did you drive or listen to the car before? LOL. Going from 600 cell to 300 cell, has to improve performance and increase sound. There is no way it can't. Try parking beside a concrete wall, or driving into an under ground garage, you will hear it. But its good that if some can't notice it, it must be ok. May want to book in for an ear check. Hahaha J/K.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
The decibel increase is from 104 (stock PSE, sport mode) to 109 (Akra cans, sport mode). Its in my video. Sport plus is 102 and 104 respectively. Not really that much louder, but definitely sounds more badassy in real life. Small amount of drone at 2k rpm with the akra muffler + AMS air filter, they definitely flow better. You can almost completely remove the drone by hitting the PSE button whenever youre cruising.

For reference a 991.1 (NA) carrera S with IPE exhaust is 122 dB with valves open. This is twice as loud (100% for every 10 increase in dB, log scale).
Nice. The only time my car see's 2K is when I'm stopped. : ) 109 is usually a kicking point at some tracks. If you go above 109 they kick you, or you have to use the wadded stainless as a cork.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
That's great feedback. Do you have headers? I have Vektor headers. They made a nice tone difference. Great power. Tiny bit louder. I am ok with more sound, I just don't want it like my catless M4 which is obnoxious.
I don't currently have headers, but I'm considering it depending on what kind of sound/power I can add. Cobb is using my car to fine tune their stage 2 map, so that should be right around the corner and may make headers a more worthwhile investment. I'm also putting a GRP bypass on my GT3, and if it's anything like the GMG bypass I had on my 991.1 GT3 it'll be LOUD. The GTS is nowhere even close to that loud.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I don't currently have headers, but I'm considering it depending on what kind of sound/power I can add. Cobb is using my car to fine tune their stage 2 map, so that should be right around the corner and may make headers a more worthwhile investment. I'm also putting a GRP bypass on my GT3, and if it's anything like the GMG bypass I had on my 991.1 GT3 it'll be LOUD. The GTS is nowhere even close to that loud.
So you're the guy holding up stage 2. C'mon man, I need it badly. I just put the BMC filters on in anticipation. I have IPD,BMC,Vektor, Akra Cats on way and I also have AMS intercoolers. Must have COBB Stage 2.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh look at you. Staying hush hush while were all having a melt down over stage 2.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

How can Cobb even be fine tuning stage 2 on a stock car? Isn't the point of stage 2 to take advantage of aftermarket performance parts?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

So you're the guy holding up stage 2. C'mon man, I need it badly. I just put the BMC filters on in anticipation. I have IPD,BMC,Vektor, Akra Cats on way and I also have AMS intercoolers. Must have COBB Stage 2.
Lol I'm sure I'm not the only car they're testing on.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
How can Cobb even be fine tuning stage 2 on a stock car? Isn't the point of stage 2 to take advantage of aftermarket performance parts?
My car isn't stock, I have high flow cats and exhaust. Not sure what other cars they're testing with other mods.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
He isn't stock, he has the Full Akra. Stage 2 is Exhaust and free flowing mods, like filter, IPD, or intakes. But mainly Exhaust and Cats etc.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, did you drive or listen to the car before? LOL. Going from 600 cell to 300 cell, has to improve performance and increase sound. There is no way it can't. Try parking beside a concrete wall, or driving into an under ground garage, you will hear it. But its good that if some can't notice it, it must be ok. May want to book in for an ear check. Hahaha J/K.
You can hear the turbo's in an underground garage IN Sport+, but not in my garage at idle in any mode. What you will notice when your cats arrive is they are very similar in diameter to to the OEM, and much larger than Soul or AWE. You can see that online of pics that show the heat shield brackets - on Akra's the brackets are right against the cats, other aftermarket heat shield brackets are spaced away about a 1/2" to fit properly. I think the beefier construction is muffling the noise. I had AWE cats prior to the Akra, not only could I hear them, most people asked me what I did to the exhaust.
But please install the cats alone and dyno, I would love to know what my butt dyno can't feel
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Bringing back this thread just to prove I did search but no find. Looking at the pics of the 991.2 Akra system I fail to see the vacuum activated valves, where are they located? They are clear to see on the 991.1 version in the center but the .2 version is very compact and the valves would not be easy to miss.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

You reuse your stock valve actuators. They bolt onto the muffler mounts
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _RS_
Bringing back this thread just to prove I did search but no find. Looking at the pics of the 991.2 Akra system I fail to see the vacuum activated valves, where are they located? They are clear to see on the 991.1 version in the center but the .2 version is very compact and the valves would not be easy to miss.
Originally Posted by Rennolazine
You reuse your stock valve actuators. They bolt onto the muffler mounts
Yep, you reuse the stock ones. That's why on the Akra site there are two prices. One price for those who have PSE and the other for those that don't.
My Akra Cats are due to arrive in Sydney tomorrow, So I should have them next week and installed by the end of next week. : )
Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Ok... I can see that for just the cats, but with the Akra cats shown with the muffler, in that picture, I don't see where they are. Two pipes from cats to muffler each side.

Quick Reply: Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?