Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 AM
MYAMI
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?

Looking for some feedback, reviews and end-user videos.

I had an Akrapovic Evolution system on my e92 M3 and can attest to the quality of their workmanship and the sound. Of all the mods I had on that car (and there were many), the Akra was my favorite.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I've asked for this from their rep, if I get any I'll send, but my understanding is you'll also have to get their 100 cell Cats, which I wouldn't want to do.

So long answer short, be it any of the .2 aftermarket options, if you want a louder sounding exhaust than PSE, you'll need to swap out your Cats.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:50 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The slip on does not require any changes to the cats. It replaces the stock center section. There is an installation guide on the website as well which is detailed and shows clearly what is changed out. I did not think the sound was particularly good on their website comparison or the video made of the exhaust. The turbo sound was enhanced w/ little improvement in the exhaust sound over the PSE to my ear. Check out the website and make your own conclusions.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The slip on does not require any changes to the cats. It replaces the stock center section. There is an installation guide on the website as well which is detailed and shows clearly what is changed out. I did not think the sound was particularly good on their website comparison or the video made of the exhaust. The turbo sound was enhanced w/ little improvement in the exhaust sound over the PSE to my ear. Check out the website and make your own conclusions.
I was not impressed with the sound bites either. The other problem was that are not offering their carbon tips.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Assuming like 10k?! Lol.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Assuming like 10k?! Lol.
I believe the center section (slip on) is around $6K but that is based on converting Euros to USD.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by MYAMI
Looking for some feedback, reviews and end-user videos.

I had an Akrapovic Evolution system on my e92 M3 and can attest to the quality of their workmanship and the sound. Of all the mods I had on that car (and there were many), the Akra was my favorite.
Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Assuming like 10k?! Lol.
Akrapovic has not yet begun delivering these systems out to customers. They are placing the final few touches on it before fulfilling pre-orders. We're looking at an ETA of about 2 more weeks.

Here are two videos for you all to watch and take a close listen to in the meantime.

This 991.2 will not be anywhere near the $10k mark for the 991.1 version but closer to half that price. DM me for more info.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2017, 03:02 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
I was not impressed with the sound bites either. The other problem was that are not offering their carbon tips.
They don't offer carbon tips for good reason. Porsche's with rear or mid engines will produce a substantial amount of heat on the exhaust tips to the point where the carbon wouldn't do so well on there. For that reason most Porsche's, with the exception of a small few, will only be offered with titanium tips.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:09 PM
MYAMI
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I've asked for this from their rep, if I get any I'll send, but my understanding is you'll also have to get their 100 cell Cats, which I wouldn't want to do.

So long answer short, be it any of the .2 aftermarket options, if you want a louder sounding exhaust than PSE, you'll need to swap out your Cats.

Thanks for this. Let me know if you get any additional sound clips. As with the M3, removing the primary cats and reducing the size of the secondary cats (which is what the Evolution mid-pipe offered) really made the difference. The Slip-On alone wasn't much of an improvement over stock.

With that said, I'm game to reduce my cats on the .2 as I've heard the PSE with its valves open is pretty much a straightthrough / bypass anyway.

I would be interested in whether Akra is allowing customer to purchase and install on their high-flow cats on the 991.2. I believe this is something they allow on the newer, turbo BMW products.

If not, I believe SpeedTech Sport Cats will be headed my way.

Originally Posted by stephen k
I'm with you on the CF tips. I had the titanium tips for about a week before I had them powdercoated. The nickle-ish finish is not a good look.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM
MYAMI
Advanced

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
They don't offer carbon tips for good reason. Porsche's with rear or mid engines will produce a substantial amount of heat on the exhaust tips to the point where the carbon wouldn't do so well on there. For that reason most Porsche's, with the exception of a small few, will only be offered with titanium tips.
Looks like I'll be powdercoating again! For what it's worth, the CF tips on the M3 lost their luster after a year or so. The heat just ate through the clear coat.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I placed an order for the slip on and diffuser with Tag Motorsports and they gave me a great deal. I will give my impressions when I receive it in a few weeks or so.

the price for slip on and diffuser is well under 10k but assume with cats it will be close.

No, you do not have to install the cats and I was under the impression that the link pipe with cats will not be offered for the US market as of yet.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:30 PM
MYAMI
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikex25
I placed an order for the slip on and diffuser with Tag Motorsports and they gave me a great deal. I will give my impressions when I receive it in a few weeks or so.

the price for slip on and diffuser is well under 10k but assume with cats it will be close.

No, you do not have to install the cats and I was under the impression that the link pipe with cats will not be offered for the US market as of yet.
Can't wait to hear your feedback. I need more cabin noise.

Make sure you shoot some solid videos after the install. One with a nice, long cold start. And another where someone holds the camera (facing the direction the car is going) while the driver passes (off throttle) before rolling into part-throttle and full-throttle.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:33 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also interested to hear the difference. Please shoot before and after videos.

I had the Akra slip on for my E92 M3 and was underwhelmed. Given the expense, it definitely wasn't worth it. The Akra Evolution sounded much better, but I didn't want to deal with the CEL.

I have been toying with the idea of adding the Fabspeed cats, but I had a subpar experience in my F430.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
That makes no sense since the 991 is a rear engine Porsche that they made CF tips for.... for years.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I'm also interested to hear the difference. Please shoot before and after videos.

I had the Akra slip on for my E92 M3 and was underwhelmed. Given the expense, it definitely wasn't worth it. The Akra Evolution sounded much better, but I didn't want to deal with the CEL.

I have been toying with the idea of adding the Fabspeed cats, but I had a subpar experience in my F430.
I too had a slip on + high flow cats for my e90 M3 and the volume was good but the tone was ok at best. The craftsmanship was unmistakably excellent but whenever i heard a eisenmann race exhaust with stock cats i would listen in complete envy.

Quick Reply: Anyone install an Akrapovic exhaust on their 991.2 yet?