GT Silver 991.2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:41 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fancy
You're preaching to the choir here.

These guys do not understand the difference between magazines and actual timeslips. The timing equipment alone is completely different between a strip and GPS timing.

I have tremendous respect for you running your car (notice randr hasn't run his on a strip but just quotes magazines?) and showing some real world numbers. Especially considering you ran at Fontana in California which is notoriously slow. Plus isn't it 90 degrees there?

I was reading on another site that someone asked you to compare your GIAC tune against theirs. Maybe a video comparison is a good idea?

Either way, respect for running your car but don't expect this crowd to understand. They're ignoring what 991.2 people got with their cars on actual dragstrips and are magazine racing instead.
These are simple questions - what did GIAC and Fabspeed claim the car was making.

Why would I want to run my car on a drag strip? I have no skin in that game. I'm simply asking a straightforward question and can't get a straightforward answer.

Nothing wrong with magazine racing, Car and Driver use Racelogic equipment for timing and tests - they produce consistent results. Sport Auto does a huge amount of testing, also using race logic gear (likewise manufacturers) and they are well respected. Likewise Motor Trend do a whole range of tests, I don't know the specific equipment they use.

I suspect Sprchg has spent more the 20K USD and probably more than 30K USD - it looks great, but has he got bang for buck out of Fabspeed and GIAC - to me that remains an open question.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:03 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaniMonteiro991
Do you have stock runs? Just for reference:

Carrera 4 PDK 11.9@117mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

Carrera 2 GTS PDK 11.3@125mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

So you should be making 11.98@111mph stock
Originally Posted by randr
Car and Driver Instrumented tests

Base Carrera PDK 11.9s @ 118mph
Carrera S PDK 11.4s @ 123mph
Carrera GTS PDK 11.3s @ 125mph

Was you car pulling timing on 91? and what did GIAC and Fabspeed claim in terms of power gains. BTW Motortrend got more or less the same result in CA for the S.
Remember that my car is a base. So even if you compared the Car and Driver times versus my real world times, my base car went .6 faster in the 1/4. Which is pretty darn impressive for just a tune and fabspeed bypass kit.

You're preaching to the choir here.

These guys do not understand the difference between magazines and actual timeslips. The timing equipment alone is completely different between a strip and GPS timing.

I have tremendous respect for you running your car (notice randr hasn't run his on a strip but just quotes magazines?) and showing some real world numbers. Especially considering you ran at Fontana in California which is notoriously slow. Plus isn't it 90 degrees there?

I was reading on another site that someone asked you to compare your GIAC tune against theirs. Maybe a video comparison is a good idea?

Either way, respect for running your car but don't expect this crowd to understand. They're ignoring what 991.2 people got with their cars on actual dragstrips and are magazine racing instead.
It was only getting warmer through the day. And the car ran very consistent.

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
I have to agree. Running 11.3x with a 2400 DA and California 91 octane pi** gas is very impressive. For most high performance cars, running real 93 octane is good for at least a few tenths over that CA crap. Just for fun, maybe the OP can add in some race gas to boost his octane just to see the difference.
The Socal season is over, but definitely looking to get back out there better prepared this time. Race gas and better tires. Chances are if the GTS turbos ever show up then I will be back in the deep 10s
Old 11-25-2017, 03:06 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by randr
These are simple questions - what did GIAC and Fabspeed claim the car was making.

Why would I want to run my car on a drag strip? I have no skin in that game. I'm simply asking a straightforward question and can't get a straightforward answer.

Nothing wrong with magazine racing, Car and Driver use Racelogic equipment for timing and tests - they produce consistent results. Sport Auto does a huge amount of testing, also using race logic gear (likewise manufacturers) and they are well respected. Likewise Motor Trend do a whole range of tests, I don't know the specific equipment they use.

I suspect Sprchg has spent more the 20K USD and probably more than 30K USD - it looks great, but has he got bang for buck out of Fabspeed and GIAC - to me that remains an open question.
My car has not been on a dyno yet. But the claimed numbers are just about the same as the GTS stock, yet it makes more torque. Not bad for my base car with $3k in power adder upgrades, poor fuel, poor tires.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

You would run your car on a strip to see how magazine and dragstrip times differ.

There is a lot wrong with magazine racing as you are quoting magazine times from GPS in reference to timing beam recorded times from an actual NHRA accredited dragstrip. How does this help? GPS will have higher trap speeds as it does not average the speed of the car goign through the traps but records the speed at the end of the run. If you do not understand this you should not be quoting magazine times as a reference to what a car should run on a dragstrip. Compare his car to other dragstrip results on NHRA approved strips and factor in the density altitude.

Sprchng has a lot of various mods on his car. The tune from GIAC costs $2500 so why you uare quoting $30k I have no clue.

By the way, a tuned 991.2 Carrera will easily beat your X51 for a fraction of the cost. A lot more torque through the curve with more power as well (and better spool). Talk about bang for the buck
There is a difference between the quarter-mile speed traps and magazine testing, but it is mostly because the NHRA speed traps start at 66 feet before the end of the quarter mile and end at the quarter mile. So they produce a "trap speed" that is actually an average taken 33 feet BEFORE the end of the quarter mile. This change was made a few years ago when the NHRA wanted to reduce the over 300 mph AA fuel dragster trap speeds for insurance reasons. The GPS testing equipment that magazines use can measure and record the car's actual speed as it passes the end of the quarter mile.

Furthermore, the time slips that most people present have no weather corrections, even though atmospheric conditions vary considerably. So there are many reasons why magazine test results differ from the random quarter-mile time slips. The real question is which numbers are more representative and repeatable. From what I see, the magazine tests are considerably more representative.
The following users liked this post:
CharlesCA (08-10-2019)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If anyone is interested in the Gold 21" Vossen wheels, they are for sale. Send me a message for more info.

I have another set of wheels in mind, and with two other sets in storage for this car there is no way I can order a set until these are sold
Old 11-27-2017, 06:27 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprchng
My car has not been on a dyno yet. But the claimed numbers are just about the same as the GTS stock, yet it makes more torque. Not bad for my base car with $3k in power adder upgrades, poor fuel, poor tires.
Sprchng,

Don't sweat it, there are people here that will just dog you because that's what they do. This past spring I posted GIAC's first tune here on the East coast with my 991.2 C4S running 11.1(posted slip) with my aftermarket 22" PUR wheels, running on pump gas and got similar flack.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 PM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mac10
Sprchng,

Don't sweat it, there are people here that will just dog you because that's what they do. This past spring I posted GIAC's first tune here on the East coast with my 991.2 C4S running 11.1(posted slip) with my aftermarket 22" PUR wheels, running on pump gas and got similar flack.
You ever going to throw stock wheels on and shoot for 10s or am I going to have to beat you to it?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 PM
mac10
Racer

I read that. So absurd.

Makes you not want to post, huh?
I can't say I post as much as I used to on this site, some Porsche guys can be brutal here for some reason. I don't get it, it's almost completely opposite when we attend local rambles or Porsche events.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 PM
mac10
Racer

Originally Posted by Sprchng
You ever going to throw stock wheels on and shoot for 10s or am I going to have to beat you to it?
Yes, definitely planning on it! The veteran racers at New England Dragway all thought the car would easily run in the 10 second range with the stock wheels.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:09 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The car looks great. Can you post a couple more pics of the door straps from the inside please? The pic you posted is at an angle and we can’t aee it clearly. Also which shop did you go to for the install?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well guys, decided its time for a new project so returning the 991.2 to stock. Send me a PM if you are interested in any of the parts!

Everything is available.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:50 PM
MJ & JJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 with aftermarket seat & air bag light

Originally Posted by PacificGerman
I built a set of resistors to bypass side air bags. No fault codes, no warning lights.

Using Recaro sliders with custom brackets.
Hi Pacific,

Can you share more details of how you built the set of resistors and the pin out need to bypass the factory seat air bag?

John

Quick Reply: GT Silver 991.2 Project