Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MotorWeek 2018 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

What you say is true, but it's not a response to what I posted. We have already had two perfect equivalents: a) PDK not available and b) 6M not available. The reactions of GT3 owners or wannabes has been markedly different to those two perfectly similar scenarios.

Why do you think GT3 owners were largely content with "what they couldn't get" when that was PDK, but have been vocal enough to force friggin' Porsche to change their minds, eat crow, and reintroduce 6M when that was the one they couldn't get? The same Porsche that resisted calls for cupholders for like 35 years? (And that's a real question -- not being rhetorical. I'd like to know what you think.)

And disclaimer for the record -- I'm absolutely not wanting to make this a PDK vs. 6M debate. I'm more interested in the meta-discussion about GT3 owners' preferences as exhibited by their buying choices. I love both 'boxes a whole bunch.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a DCT in my M3 and it was *awsome* at full tilt acceleration. Was OK as a regular automatic, but sometimes it would stutter usually on a slow take off like moving into slow traffic typically only when it was not warmed up fully. Not sure how the Porsche PDK is in everyday automatic mode.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^ Boring. Shifts into 7th at about 10mph, it seems like. Be sure and push the Sport button.

But to your point, it's flawless, as far as I could tell in the little bit of test driving I did in auto.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 AM
rai
Instructor

I've noticed watching YouTube videos, old exotics that were available with SMG single clutch automatic are less desirable than MT. Looking at Gallardo or F430 such those SMG were so primitive especially with automatic mode. Now the rare 6MT are a lot more valuable.

However the current PDK are so well sorted out, I tink in the future they will still be as desirable as they are today.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by rai
I've noticed watching YouTube videos, old exotics that were available with SMG single clutch automatic are less desirable than MT. Looking at Gallardo or F430 such those SMG were so primitive especially with automatic mode. Now the rare 6MT are a lot more valuable.

However the current PDK are so well sorted out, I tink in the future they will still be as desirable as they are today.
Perhaps. And it depends on how far into the future.

Could be that in a day where all cars are electric, or we no longer have anyone manufacturing passenger cars or sports cars, or cars have changed so dramatically in some fashion, then such minor distinctions between our old 991s as PDK or 6M will be immaterial.

But in a nearer future, if seamless transmissions, be they PDK or tork-converter autos, take over (as they very nearly have already, at least in the USA), then our early-but-competent version of that won't be so different than the 2035 version of it, much like a 1980 automatic wasn't very much different to a driver than a 1955 automatic. If that's the case, the 6M will be prized simply because of its novelty, its variety, the way it makes the car so very different from a 2035 vehicle.

In much the same vein, I have a 1968 Cadillac convertible. There is not one single thing it does as well as a modern sedan (except store bodies in the trunk.) I don't drive it because its actual driving dynamics are the least bit fun in any objective way. I drive it -- and love it -- because it's so very different than anything else you can drive today. In fact, when buying it I specifically wanted a 60s cadillac because they pre-dated me, where a 70s Eldorado convertible was still around when I was a kid.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Last weekend I did back-to-back long test drives in two 981 GTS's. One PDK, one manual, otherwise virtually identical. A bit of city traffic, a bit of highway, then plenty of mountain twisties driven aggressively.

I came away with 100% conviction on which one I prefer...
The one that put a huge smile on my face...
The one I wanted keep driving and not bring back...

The manual.

Will the PDK turn better times on the track? Absolutely.
Does the PDK have higher performance in every quantifiable way? Sure.
Is the PDK awesome technology and likely the best dual-clutch auto shift out there? Yup.

Is the PDK more fun to drive? Not for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No debate on preference, you buy what you enjoy the most. Like has been said over and over, if you buy for your enjoyment you make the right choice. If you are buying because of rarity or speculation that is when it comes into question. PDK all the way for me!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I had a DCT in my M3 and it was *awsome* at full tilt acceleration. Was OK as a regular automatic, but sometimes it would stutter usually on a slow take off like moving into slow traffic typically only when it was not warmed up fully. Not sure how the Porsche PDK is in everyday automatic mode.
It's fine in Sport mode in auto, but still shifts earlier than you'd like. Best to drive PDK in manual mode full time.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

PDK in normal 911 is boring, but good for a DD. PDK-S in the GT3 and RS is much better, quicker, more intuitive with your driving habits and more like a "manual."
My GTS and my GT3 will be manual.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM
rai
Instructor

good discussion here, at 16:00 minute mark

https://drivetribe.com/p/AAtdiPf7Soe...S82EKZd9B-0-Gw

if you want to be a track hero = PDK
if DD with traffic = PDK
if you want a drivers car (aka weekend fun toy) = 6MT
Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This I want in a manual

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-camaro-...ual-1796330479
Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by *991*
Awesome
Are dealers charging over MSRP for the MY18 GT3?
Depends on the dealer... my local dealer sure as hell is.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:00 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
Depends on the dealer... my local dealer sure as hell is.
I have been quoted a low of 20k over MSRP to a high of 40k over MSRP. I think this is just nuts. I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2016 GT3, with the same engine architecture as the RS.

There is a lot of drama to owning a GT3, not for the feint of heart. Pics to follow tomorrow after pick up.

Quick Reply: MotorWeek 2018 GT3