Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Said goodbye to my GTS...

Old 06-18-2017, 11:41 AM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Said goodbye to my GTS...

Just traded my 2016 GTS for a 991.2 S w/ manual transmission, graphite blue/chalk, full leather, sport package, etc. Loved almost everything about the GTS but I always wished it was a stick, even though the PDK is just plain fast and awesome. Since I only drive it 5k miles per year, I wanted 100% enjoyment and now I'm happy with the 991.2 MT. Yeah it doesn't sound as good as the GTS for sure, but it still sounds pretty good to me and frankly at times it's nice to not have so much noise ALL the time. The infotainment is super nice, even though I thought the 991.1's was just fine.

The MT is a pleasure and I find myself wanting to drive the car more all the time. PDK is certainly faster for sure but I'm not racing anyone and never track. I'm sure I'm a much slower driver now w/ MT and probably less safe as well, but boy do I enjoy it. Anyway, not trying to start a PDK vs MT war but just sharing with you my experience. Now if I can just get my hands on a 991.2 GTS MT in the future
Old 06-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 194 Posts

Very cool and gdluck! One of the main reasons why I went to Porsche. MANUAL! Was an audi guy and had about 6 in a row. All Manual except the RS5 which I did like but was boring to drive. Since Audi did away w it im done w Audi.( dumb move). But Always loved Manual and always will!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel the same way about the manual. The PDK is super fast, it's cool at first to try something new, but ultimately just gets boring after you put enough miles on it.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Enjoy! Best part about 911's is that there is a version for everyone and they are all awesome!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:31 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default A manual lovefest...

and I completely agree. the PDK is an awesome tranny especially on the track and in situations where a fast, safe shift is important. I believe for every day, around town driving the manual truly shines. Downsides are thick metro traffic and accidents on the freeways if you happened to get stuck there. I have found it takes a bit of practice to get a smooth 1-2 shift but overall it is a very smooth shifting tranny with an easy clutch.

Also, you have to be cognizant of the tach. First gear is immediately gone, second comes on very quickly as well. Third gear is the sweet spot and pulls like a locomotive. Fourth is still strong and you are now at reckless driving speeds.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Totally get it. I traded my beloved .1 c2s with pdk, spasm, sport chrono and pse several months ago and have a 7mt 4 GTS on order. I put 6k miles on the pdk and loved it but found myself dreaming of the manual and every once in a while choosing my 6mt bimmer to drive (blasphemy I know) just to get manual shifts in. I will miss the .1 and thought about waiting for the right pre-owned .1 to come on the market but I have too many specific requirements. Ok back to waiting for my delivery!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice...I had manual for 27 years.......about time for an upgrade....also just plain tired of shifting in any traffic....enjoy ANY 911!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Congrats, hope you jump into a GTS again.

Manuals are great but boring IMHO. PDK is awesome, ironically enough I drive it in manual mode 100% and love the buttons on the MF wheel. Even the stick is great but I do NOT miss the clutch pedals. After rowing gears for 16 years it was enough for me....

Have fun and drive the hell out of it. No such thing as a bad Porsche, stick or auto!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:34 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have debated this myself. Had a M3 with DCT and was very impressed with it and all, but at the same time would love a MT.

I think can go either way PDK for better DD or HW driving or the MT is more fun to drive.

I certainly have not decided myself because if I get 991 will be mostly DD, so will be liking the PDK for 80% of the time and the other 20% would be for fun. Not sure which one to get myself.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats!

Which dealer? Just in case someone from RL is looking.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 PM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My GTS is at Rusnak in Westlake, CA. Lava orange with a little less than 5k miles on it. I took very good care of it and it was always garaged. Also followed break-in procedures. I kinda miss that lava orange...don't see too many of them around.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very rational explication of why you moved on: sounds like a good move

And the extra lb/ft are nice to have around town, eh My 991.2 is Lava, so why didn't you just order another? I too like the rarity.

[edit] ps I've had MT for *ever* - so my 1st PDK and really enjoying it!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:00 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Very cool and gdluck! One of the main reasons why I went to Porsche. MANUAL! Was an audi guy and had about 6 in a row. All Manual except the RS5 which I did like but was boring to drive. Since Audi did away w it im done w Audi.( dumb move). But Always loved Manual and always will!
Same here. 6 Audis over the years , all MT. SQ5 and 991.2 Mt now. Great combo.
OP, love that. Not sure how you can only drive it 5000/year. Beautiful color combo.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Waiting for my manual GTS on a boat right now. Congrats!

I gor rid of my 991 GT3 because I was bored with the PDK. I swore I wouldn't get another one, but now they are making it in manual, so I will.

The next M5 is going full automatic and manual. So is the current and future Z06 and ZR1. My X5M is awesome in auto. No creep at all. I think the double clutch is slowly going away, and cars will be either auto or manual, just like they were 15 years ago.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by luvawatch
Just traded my 2016 GTS for a XXX w/ manual transmission,
Sounds like my thread from six weeks ago.

Here was my PDK journey:

-- Tested with a bad attitude, but forced to have it if I wanted another Turbo.
-- Really liked PDK in Manual Sport+
-- Really liked Carrera S so much I decided to skip Turbo
-- Ordered the perfect GTS with PDK
-- Loved it for two weeks
-- Woke up in a cold sweat (seriously) thinking, What in the name of all that is holy have I done???
-- Talked myself off the ledge and decided to really learn and enjoy the PDK
-- Took it to the mountains for the first time. Fell in love with PDK under hard charging conditions
-- Took it to the track for the first time. Fell in love even more with PDK
-- Realized I don't go to the mountains or the track nearly as much as I used to
-- Realized I'd had the GTS for 27 months, a very fair trial, but I was ready to go back to a manual.
-- Realized 15GTS and 16GT4 prices were about a wash
-- Traded.

Perfect solution for me? This:

A car with a 6M with clutch and H-pattern shifter. But push a button (you know, in the space where one of the blanks is currently) and it electrohydraulically disconnects the clutch pedal from the clutch and engages PDK. I wouldn't even have to have paddle shifters now or any other manual control, because I'd only go PDK when I wanted the computer to perfectly handle shifts for me.

Then I'd have the perfect 1-to-8/10s car AND the perfect 9-to-10/10s car.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 07-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Said goodbye to my GTS...