Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry & Drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Porsche Entry & Drive problems

The Porsche Entry & Drive on my 991.2 is working inconsistently, only about 75% of the time. Today, it essentially refused to operate, not responding to multiple touches of the door handle.

My old 2007 BMW 335i had the same feature and it worked perfectly even when the car was nine years old. My less-than-year-old 911 is not nearly as good. Anyone else having such problems?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have found with a variety of cars that if I hold my key and my cell phone together I often have this problem. When I keep them apart, no troubles. Hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Dave Ortega
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my car. Replaced the battery and ran into the problem again shortly thereafter. Turns out there wasn't enough pressure from cover to keep the key fob battery connected to the contacts inside the fob. I folded a small swatch of paper and placed on the battery before I replaced the cover. The extra bit of thickness helped keep the battery connected to the contact and haven't seen this occur again.
The following users liked this post:
zinca (04-23-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:14 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Did you try using your duplicate key? If that works, I'd ask my dealer for a new key.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I have found with a variety of cars that if I hold my key and my cell phone together I often have this problem. When I keep them apart, no troubles. Hope that helps.
My 991 is definitely sensitive to this.

Otherwise, try the other key. If it's not that, then the issue lies with the antenna in the car. It's not unheard of.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Ha! Vindication! People always ask me why I ordered my GTS without E&D system. I've only had one such system before, on my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee. When it works, it's fine (not life-changing, but a nice little convenience.) But when it doesn't work -- meaning, takes more than one try to unlock the door -- it's enormously annoying, and that happened probably 50% of the time with me. Pull the exterior door handle with key in pocket, it doesn't unlock. Wife, hearing me pull the handle assumes it's unlocked and pulls her handle. Right at that time I'm pulling my handle a second time and this time it unlocks, but her handle is in the out position so hers doesn't unlock. But I don't know this. I get in the car. See her outside. Punch the inside unlock button. Right at the same time she pulls her handle again, preventing it from unlocking.

Repeat several times a week.

I think my order of preference is:

1) the system in my 68 Cadillac, 94 GMC S15 and 14 Wrangler -- a key that fits in a key slot and turns to unlock. Just like every other locked door in my life (house, office, carriage house, home library, etc.)

2) the system in my GTS, GT4 and ML350: a remote fob with buttons to manually push to open doors and trunks

3) ummm... there is no 3. My preference stops at 2.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

I still love it and it works all the time for me...you always can just press the button worst case scenario. However it is annoying if it's inconsistent.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this has happened with me, also. I expect it to work 100% of the time (as long as the battery if OK). But, every once in a while, it doesn't. And, I also have never experienced such inconsistency with any other vehicle (I have had 5 other vehicles with this feature).

Having said that, although it's annoying when it doesn't work, it's not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. I certainly would if it failed altogether.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My ED works 95% of the time... when it doesn't I just open and close the door and press the button again and it locks, no worries there. I just hate the "pop the trunk repeatedly during car washes if you forget to take the fob out of your pocket" feature.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 PM
yer_man
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine (991.2 CS2) works flawlessly. Make sure your cell phone is not in the same trouser pocket as your key fob.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ha! Vindication! People always ask me why I ordered my GTS without E&D system. I've only had one such system before, on my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee. When it works, it's fine (not life-changing, but a nice little convenience.) But when it doesn't work -- meaning, takes more than one try to unlock the door -- it's enormously annoying, and that happened probably 50% of the time with me. Pull the exterior door handle with key in pocket, it doesn't unlock. Wife, hearing me pull the handle assumes it's unlocked and pulls her handle. Right at that time I'm pulling my handle a second time and this time it unlocks, but her handle is in the out position so hers doesn't unlock. But I don't know this. I get in the car. See her outside. Punch the inside unlock button. Right at the same time she pulls her handle again, preventing it from unlocking.

Repeat several times a week.

I think my order of preference is:

1) the system in my 68 Cadillac, 94 GMC S15 and 14 Wrangler -- a key that fits in a key slot and turns to unlock. Just like every other locked door in my life (house, office, carriage house, home library, etc.)

2) the system in my GTS, GT4 and ML350: a remote fob with buttons to manually push to open doors and trunks

3) ummm... there is no 3. My preference stops at 2.
Right on man... I ordered my Targa GTS with out Entry & Drive. Considering my past experience with similar systems had the same problems as you had.

The best implementation of this system I've seen, is my wife's Tesla Model S. As you approach the car, the door handles pop up (not having to touch a button) and get in. As you're done driving, just walk away and it locks itself.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 AM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
The Porsche Entry & Drive on my 991.2 is working inconsistently, only about 75% of the time. Today, it essentially refused to operate, not responding to multiple touches of the door handle.
I'm having this same exact problem with my 2017 991.2 S. I've tried both keys and the inconsistency continues. I've even replaced the battery. I have owned E&D or Keyless Go cars since 2003 with an Infiniti FX45. I've even had a Panamera with it. It has never ever been an issue with any of my other cars. This is a first! I'll look into seeing if adding pressure to the battery in the keyfob helps but I already scheduled a dealer visit for Monday to address this and an issue with my GPS location causing my Navigation system to think that I'm somewhere I am not (I'm in NC and it shows me to be in SC). It's funny because my elevation also changes. I don't think even an airplane will drop elevation that quickly.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally love the feature!

The only dislike is when manually washing with spray hose, the doors lock/unlock when spraywd directly

More annoying when you spray frunk area as it unlatches.

Only answer is to remove key from pocket when washing. Kind of a pain, but worth it for the convenience the rest of the time.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Annoying that E&D doesn't work 100% of the time (in 2017!) and that Porsche makes us pay for something that's a standard feature on cars costing a third the price. Every Porsche sold should have keyless entry, without a stupid fob sticking out of the ignition, and it should work flawlessly.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-10-2019)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
...and it should work flawlessly.
Couldn't agree more

Every Porsche sold should have keyless entry, without a stupid fob sticking out of the ignition,
Couldn't disagree more. For two reasons:

1) Profit is profit. If the current cost of E&D is $900 (no idea what it actually is), if it becomes standard guess what -- MSRP just went up $900 across the line. Maybe $700 to reflect some economy of scale.

2) As stated, I don't want the ****ing thing. If it was free. If E&D Delete was a $400 extra cost I'd pay it. I want to use the key to start the car. I want to control the lock/unlock with the remote. It's wonderful that, perhaps unique among automakers in the over-50k space, Porsche lets me do that. I sure don't want to pay an extra $900 (or $9) and get saddled with a "luxury" feature I didn't want in the first place.

It's like the automatic feature that "conveniently" turns your car off and back on for you at a stoplight. Some people love that, I suppose. But now everybody has to enjoy it, like it or not.

I call on all good Porschemen to stop with the "they ought to include options X Y Z A B C D E and F for free." It won't be "free", and all you're really asking for is more bundled features that are no longer options. The end game of that is Honda, where you get the DX, the LX or the EX, and within those packages there are no choices of options. If Sunroof only comes in EX, then you've got to take leather and 18 way seats and lane-change accident avoidance to get a sunroof.

But I'm with you on the "it ought to work if you DO get it" bit.

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry & Drive problems