Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry & Drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Your profit analysis is flawed because it is already priced into every car, as evidenced by Porsche having the highest margins in the car business. Porsche is simply convincing buyers to pay extra for something they should already be getting for the base price of the car. And the true 'cost' of going keyless is likely a couple of hundred bucks a car at the very most. Likely less. The $1,100 one pays for E&D falls almost entirely to the bottom line at Porsche. It's the Evian water sale of the car industry.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Your profit analysis is flawed because it is already priced into every car, as evidenced by Porsche having the highest margins in the car business. Porsche is simply convincing buyers to pay extra for something they should already be getting for the base price of the car. And the true 'cost' of going keyless is likely a couple of hundred bucks a car at the very most. Likely less. The $1,100 one pays for E&D falls almost entirely to the bottom line at Porsche. It's the Evian water sale of the car industry.
Flawed? There's simply no use discussing this if you think Porsche would jettison all the extra profits they make from the optional E&D sales (which you correctly identified) in order to give that feature to customers as a gesture of good-will. I got nothin' else for ya.

Do you think the $800 "metallic paint" and the $3500 "special metallic paint" actually cost them anything more than maybe a hundred bucks more than the free paint? And yet if they were to give up the, I dunno, say $5MM a year in bottom line they get from those optional paints by making them "free," they're going to get it back by baking that $5MM into the MSRP. They're simply not going to just give it up.

Some people would feel better, I guess, about paying $20,000 more for the car and getting $22,000 worth of current-price options for free. I'd rather pay the minimum for a "base" Porsche and then tart it up from an ala carte menu as I see fit. Especially since I order anyway.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks very much for the advice. I never carry my key fob and phone in the same pocket. The closest they come is in opposite pockets in my pants. I also tried my second key fob and the performance is no better than with the other key. That's about what I expected since the car is less than a year old and it seems vanishingly unlikely that the key fob batteries have run down.

So I guess it's off to the dealer to complain. This is disappointing as my 2007 BMW 335i had this feature and it worked perfectly for the seven years that I owned the car. I expect no less from a Porsche that costs twice as much as the BMW did--and charged twice as much for this particular feature. Which, by the way, probably costs no more than $50 to a car manufacturer.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Check for a blown fuse? Also maybe pull and replace to "reset" the system? Passenger side B10 and maybe some others also.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM
caritch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the entry and drive / keyless go. So far no issue on my 991.2. Have on wife's Mercedes. Always works. (6 years now). Had on my Audi S4 and now on a Q5. Both had and have occasional issues when it's very cold out and the car has been outside all day. I would still get it again. The only thing I can't stand is the fake fob v push button!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
Check for a blown fuse? Also maybe pull and replace to "reset" the system? Passenger side B10 and maybe some others also.
It isn't a blown fuse because the system does work about half the time. And it goes in streaks. It will work perfectly for a day or two, then I get a day when it hardly works at all. And there is no obvious change in temperature, humidity, or anything else.

But I guess it can't hurt to pull the fuse and try a "reset."
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
It isn't a blown fuse because the system does work about half the time. And it goes in streaks. It will work perfectly for a day or two, then I get a day when it hardly works at all. And there is no obvious change in temperature, humidity, or anything else.

But I guess it can't hurt to pull the fuse and try a "reset."
Mine is a bit inconsistent too. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't seem to work well after the car has been sitting for awhile, but I notice my 991.2's lock range is waaaay shorter than my 991.1 C2s and c4s. I am gonna make an appt at the dealer...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Always appreciate only having to grab the door handle to unlock and open. (a 1000 times a year)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love E and D on mine. Works every time. I painted the dummy key red so it goes faster
Old 06-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ha! Vindication! People always ask me why I ordered my GTS without E&D system. I've only had one such system before, on my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee. When it works, it's fine (not life-changing, but a nice little convenience.) But when it doesn't work -- meaning, takes more than one try to unlock the door -- it's enormously annoying, and that happened probably 50% of the time with me. Pull the exterior door handle with key in pocket, it doesn't unlock. Wife, hearing me pull the handle assumes it's unlocked and pulls her handle. Right at that time I'm pulling my handle a second time and this time it unlocks, but her handle is in the out position so hers doesn't unlock. But I don't know this. I get in the car. See her outside. Punch the inside unlock button. Right at the same time she pulls her handle again, preventing it from unlocking.

Repeat several times a week.

I think my order of preference is:

1) the system in my 68 Cadillac, 94 GMC S15 and 14 Wrangler -- a key that fits in a key slot and turns to unlock. Just like every other locked door in my life (house, office, carriage house, home library, etc.)

2) the system in my GTS, GT4 and ML350: a remote fob with buttons to manually push to open doors and trunks

3) ummm... there is no 3. My preference stops at 2.
A poorly engineered touch entry system sucks. My BMW was horrible. However the one in my Lexus, and the one in my Porsches and my GTi work great. Almost never have an issue.

It's ridiculous Porsche charges so much for this, so I'm sure you are laughing all the way to the bank, but I wouldn't get all crazy now.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:00 AM
Miroslav
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 718 Boxster with the keyless entry that worked fine most of the time. It was malfunctioning only when I was demonstrating this feature to a friend, ha-ha. But on my 911 Carrera 4S (991.2) is quite the opposite. It malfunctioning about 60% of the time. I went back to a dealer I purchased the car from two times and they kept my car for 3 days on my second visit and they only replaced the batteries in both remotes (what I already did and I told them that) claiming that now works perfectly. When I came to pick up the car, it was the same, just like I expected because I went thru this exercise already. Now they want me to come back third time but I have to go somewhere else. They have no clue about this relatively new technology and they just want to drive my car to do more harm. (I will elaborate this in another post and illustrate this with videos from my dash cam)

Last edited by Miroslav; 05-10-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Miroslav
I had a 718 Boxster with the keyless entry that worked fine most of the time. It was malfunctioning only when I was demonstrating this feature to a friend, ha-ha. But on my 911 Carrera 4S (991.2) is quite the opposite. It malfunctioning about 60% of the time. I went back to a dealer I purchased the car from two times and they kept my car for 3 days on my second visit and they only replaced the batteries in both remotes (what I already did and I told them that) claiming that now works perfectly. When I came to pick up the car, it was the same, just like I expected because I went thru this exercise already. Now they want me to come back third time but I have to go somewhere else. They have no clue about this relatively new technology and they just want to drive my car full of options.
I don’t want to throw gas on the fire, but I wonder if it is your touch/moisture in your fingers? When it doesn’t work one time, try moistening your finger and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 AM
Miroslav
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
The Porsche Entry & Drive on my 991.2 is working inconsistently, only about 75% of the time. Today, it essentially refused to operate, not responding to multiple touches of the door handle.

My old 2007 BMW 335i had the same feature and it worked perfectly even when the car was nine years old. My less-than-year-old 911 is not nearly as good. Anyone else having such problems?
I have the same problem with my 2017 Carrera 4S. It malfunctioning about 60% of the time. Lately having trouble locking the car with pressing the button. Sometimes just refuse to lock and I have to use my iPhone app: Porsche Connect to lock it. But this takes lots of time to do it. In two Porsche dealers here in California they kept my car for 2 days and all they did is to replace batteries in both remotes even though I told them that I did that myself and it didn’t seem to help. There is absolutely nobody who really understand how this works and what might be wrong. The latest I got from them today is that the door handle on driver’s door need to be replaced. They ordered it and send the handle to a paint shop. I just hope that this is the case. I don’t really know how the door handle could possible cause hood to work or not to work when I put my hand 🤚 close?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:21 PM
scottlma
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by erdrff
I'm having this same exact problem with my 2017 991.2 S. I've tried both keys and the inconsistency continues. I've even replaced the battery. I have owned E&D or Keyless Go cars since 2003 with an Infiniti FX45. I've even had a Panamera with it. It has never ever been an issue with any of my other cars. This is a first! I'll look into seeing if adding pressure to the battery in the keyfob helps but I already scheduled a dealer visit for Monday to address this and an issue with my GPS location causing my Navigation system to think that I'm somewhere I am not (I'm in NC and it shows me to be in SC). It's funny because my elevation also changes. I don't think even an airplane will drop elevation that quickly.

I would really like to know where you found a road at 18,880 feet of elevation. Is it now possible to drive to the top of Mt. Rushmore or K2 ? ;-)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by scottlma
I would really like to know where you found a road at 18,880 feet of elevation. Is it now possible to drive to the top of Mt. Rushmore or K2 ? ;-)
He forgot to set the altimeter to STD/29.92.
On a more serious note, mine doesn't work sometimes. It's way more temperamental in my 911 but all of my cars do this sometimes. Electronics have a mind of their own I guess. If it continues, OP should definitely have it checked out if it bothers you enough to make a trip to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry & Drive problems