Sponsored by:

Mini Panic moment about Centrlock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I assume it's because the CL are a PITA to deal with for cars that frequently need rnew tires and new brake pads due to track use. This why the overwhelming majority of GT3 and RS owners prefer 5 lug hubs, because we track our cars.

If you just use your 911 variant for street driving, then CL aren't that much of an inconvenience.
I'd have to agree... the protocol for the CLs, especially re-torquing with the car
off the ground is a major PITA ... if you plan to track your car a LOT ... and thus
swap wheels then I reluctantly have to say that 5-lug is the way to go

for street I dont think it matters that much... even in the event of a flat
Old 06-10-2017, 04:14 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

A couple of points to remember, with or without CL wheels:

1. If you have to use the Porsche supplied "goop" on a flat tire it will make the tire pressure sender inside the wheel useless. You will have to pay for a new one. I have heard, but do not know for sure, that "Slime" goop does not destroy it. Anybody know for certain?

2. Someone on this forum (STG or LexVan?) mentioned that forcing the tire plug needle through the tread of one of our tires is pretty difficult. Anybody want to chime in?

Last edited by kwikit356; 06-10-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-10-2017, 07:45 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

If the .2 GT3 had included an option for 5-lug, I might (might) have considered getting rid of my RS.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,732 Likes on 5,125 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver

The tire changing process is a different procedure but once the car is jacked up four wheels can be removed and replaced in 15 minutes.
Originally Posted by Drifting
With a pit crew yes, by yourself no.
People still change their own wheels?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:09 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Re this:

>> If you have to use the Porsche supplied "goop" on a flat tire it will make the tire pressure sender inside the wheel useless. You will have to pay for a new one. I have heard, but do not know for sure, that "Slime" goop does not destroy it. Anybody know for certain? <<

Based on experience on a recent group drive, I can confirm that "Slime" does not destroy the TPMS sensor (not my car). I can also confirm that "Slime" is water soluble, does not harm the wheel or tire, and does not remove your first layer of skin.

Conversely, I can not confirm that any of the above statements are true of the Porsche-supplied goop. Read the warning label if you haven't already done so. And then go buy some "Slime".

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Mini Panic moment about Centrlock wheels