Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School Masters Program 6/1-6/2 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Driving School Masters Program 6/1-6/2 2017

My wife and I traveled to Birmingham Alabama and attended the Porsche Sport Driving School Two Day Performance course in October 2016.

The link for those interested...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9568...xperience.html

Well PSDS sent a nice discount if we decided to comeback and do another course. So, I did.

This will be my review of the PSDS Masters program. The Masters program is a 2 day course available to those wishing to further their driving education and abilities. You are under direct supervision by instructors who are all current or former race car drivers.

For the course in October 2016 Cass Whitehead was our main instructor. For the Masters course Rich Hull was the lead instructor.

Weather...partly cloudy in the 80s. It rained during the last session of the course but it was a light rain and perfect for instruction for wet weather driving.

Cars we got to drive.....

16 911 GT3 RS White

17 911 GTS in Yellow and Lava Orange. The Yellow cars were PDK and the LO cars were Manual shift. These cars were driven during the driving exercise sessions and on the Barber Motorsports Park road course. They are fantastic cars and a palpable step up in performance vs the 17 C2S. Interestingly these cars all had 5 lug wheels and NOT center locks. All cars had less than 1000 miles on the clock.

17 Boxster S Silver

16 911 Turbo S

17 Cayman S Yellow and Red... Yellow PDK--used only on autocross course. Red--Manual and used only on the road course.

17 Carrera S in Silver and Graphite Blue Metallic. Silver cars-PDK, GBM-manual cars.

Before I get ahead of myself...

What this course is in my opinion is a pretty well controlled way to improve your skills in driving a performance car at speed under close instructor supervision with feedback.

What it is not...Racing against each other. What will not be tolerated by the instructors...racing against each other and dangerous driving.

More to come

Last edited by Driven991; 06-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Driven991
Racer

GT3 RS

Name:  IMG_0642.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0599.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  238.0 KB
Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Driven991
Racer

No idea why the pictures are being displayed sideways..sorry.

Our particular class had about 26 participants. Porsche fronts the inventory and hires a company to provide the instructors. Same company has been providing the instructors for a long time and they do a good job in my experience. The target size for each class is about 27 to 30 students.

These classes and this course are expensive to put on. Millions of dollars in new car inventory is provided by Porsche and the instructors have to get a bunch of people with different skill levels through the course without killing each other and damaging the cars all the while giving each person some attention and improving their skill level a long the way. A pretty tall order in my opinion.

How it works....

As recommended by Porsche I stayed at the Grand Bohemian. A nice new Kessler collection Hotel. They have nice rooms and will offer pickup from the airport in Birmingham and transport back to the airport via Over the Mountain Shuttle. There is also a shuttle from the GB to the track in the AM and a return in the PM.

You don't have to stay there if you want to do it cheaper and you can drive yourself to the Barber MS track and park. The driving school shuttles you from the b'fast intro area to where you go for the day and then brings you back at the end of the day.

If you have luggage with you on your return day, it is safely locked away and waiting for you when you return at the end of the second day.

First day starts with an introduction and breakfast.

They break you out into small groups based on prior experience and perceived level of skill.
You then do lead follow exercises with an instructor who assesses the group members ability to drive and keep up.

We had different skill levels and ages in my class. Youngest was a guy in his 20s and oldest were some guys in their 70s.

Groups are changed after the first lead follow sessions to suit skill levels. So if you are slower or more tentative you are placed in a group of similar skill level.

The GT3RS is sublime.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Driven991
Racer

Some groups do autocross, skip pad and driving exercises first and others go to the track for lead follow exercises. We had 6 groups of 4 people. So first 3 groups went to the track and the second three groups went to do autocross, skid pad, and driving exercises.

It was obvious that a couple of guys needed to be moved around into different groups to keep like skill levels together so the instructors just took care of it seamlessly and in a way that did not embarrass anyone.

You don't want guys or ladies (we had 2 female participants ) who are slow or don't drive a good line mixed in with those who are fast and aggressive.

Side note...gender has nothing to do with driving skill. One recent class had a young woman who was the best driver in the entire class.

After the morning exercises you get lunch, then the afternoon of the first day begins open lapping sessions with NO lead follow from instructors. Students are on their own. Passing zones, and protocols are designed and there are instructors at every corner watching the students.

The communicate via flags, yellow, blue, black and checkered. For racing, these flags are suggestions and commands, for PSDS the flags are ALL commands to do something.

Yellow--caution and warm up lap
Blue--someone has been following you for a while, and you must let them pass.
Black--you are doing something wrong, go to the Pit area so we can talk.
Checkered flag--session over, drive a cool down lap and go to the pit.

The GT3 RS is sublime.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Driven991
Racer

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0641.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  247.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0604.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  195.0 KB
Old 06-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Driven991
Racer

Naturally on the first open lap track sessions, there were some people who made mistakes...ie driving too crazy, not following protocol, running over cones, over driving, aggressive driving, acting like normal guys with too much testosterone, etc.

The instructors talked to each one of us individually...err...I mean those other people.

Then we had another session of open lapping and everyone was much better behaved. After each lapping session you got to talk with each instructor who was observing the track. You went up to them and gave them your car number and they gave you feedback on where you could improved.

I personally struggled with turn 5 the hairpin and turn 15 so I listened carefully to their instruction and made serious and calculated adjustments to my driving. Mostly I needed to learn that braking is much more important than accelerating.

Day 2

B'fast

Break out into small groups for track sessions (open lapping and no lead follow), skid pad, auto cross and driving exercises. Of course there was the skip pad and auto cross competitions which are friendly but taken very seriously by some.

Lunch and then more open lapping.

On the second day, the track review is more detailed. You get to discuss specific turns, walk specific turns and watch instructors drive specific turns from the ground. You also get to watch other students drive and see the line they took. This all takes place from a safe distance.

The end of the first day was capped off by a return to the classroom with discussion of the days events. Refreshers on protocol then a return to the hotel for a shower and dinner with the instructors at 7 pm.

The GT3 RS is sublime.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Driven991
Racer

Name:  IMG_0602.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  275.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0609.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  336.2 KB
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Driven991
Racer

It was a great treat to drive all the cars. However I had my favorites...GT3RS is sublime.

My impressions....

17 GTS. I was not expecting to have this car available so when I saw that we were going to get to drive it I was thrilled. THANK YOU PORSCHE!!!

I own a 17 C2S. The GTS is faster and handles a little better IMO. I drove the 17 C2S back to back for comparison. It is a very well behaved and fast car. I mostly drove it in sport plus. I would love to own one.

There is still a bit of turbo lag similar to the C2S.

I pushed it too hard into the hairpin and got some oversteer which was very manageable. My fault not the car, I was asking too much of it.

Must go now...more to follow.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:33 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the write up- am attending the July 22-23 class.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Driven991
Racer

We also srove the GTS in driving exercises teaching braking and weight transfer. The GTS accelerates quickly and like all Porsches brakes well.

A real treat to drive. If I were buying new for all around usage this would be my choice!

Boxster S/Cayman S

Fun to drive on the track and autocross. In the hands of a capable driver it will lap a Carrera S or GTS. The driver makes all the difference in so many areas.

Obviously they will not accelerate as quickly on the straights but so much fun to pitch into a corner.

I think sometimes as enthusiasts we get caught up in what car is faster or better on paper but where the rubber meets the road (pun intended) the skill of the DRIVER is the real key!

Turbo S

What can be said here?

A great touring car with so much speed and horse power. Where this car really shined was in wet weather and a damp track. The extra weight and AWD really were beneficial on street tires .

Last edited by Driven991; 06-03-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Driven991
Racer

17 Carrera S

A pitch for the instructors here. I asked to drive this car in the second day because that is what I own and they very graciously accomodated me. So I got to spend a fair amount of time in essentially my own car on the racetrack.

It is quite a fun and capable car.

The following is an interesting statement made by one of the more experienced instructors..." In the corners at this track the Carrera S, GTS, Turbo S and GT3 RS are all within 1-3 mph of each other".

To me that speaks to the capabilites of the Carrera S .

Cayman S

Hahaha...so much fun to drive. LOVED it on the autocross course!

A really fun and underated car.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Driven991
Racer

991.1 GT3RS

This was my first experience with this car. It is strinkingly beautiful and it feels and sounds so good on start up. Has a nice little rumble and dhake to it.

The suspension is more like a real race car, it just goes where you point it and wastes no time doing it.

The sound of the engine both in and out of the car above 7000 rom has to be heard to be believed. Just heavenly and unmistakable.

S U B L I M E.

My favorite car of the entire course.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Driven991
Racer

As a side note....a GT3 RS was destroyed by a student in another class. So consider the driving insurance for the course.

During our open lap sessions cars did go off track a couple of times.

Lunches

Held in a conference room overlooking the track and catered. Delicious.

Breakfasts

Held at the morning classroom. Also catered by the same people and also good.

At the end of the second day in the classroom, there are awards for the Pirelli autocross conpetition, fastest driver exchange and skid pad fastest man alive competition. All in fun.

All in all a well run course.

One piece of advice, leave your ego at home it wont impress the instructors. Your not going to impress anyone or be invited to the Indy 500.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Glad you enjoyed. I did it in April. Had a blast as well. Would have loved to have driven the GTS. The RS is just perfect for the track, isn't it!??!

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School Masters Program 6/1-6/2 2017