Name:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  332.7 KB
Old 06-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Final thoughts.....

This was a really cool driving course and I really felt like I gained a lot by attending it in terms of better car control, the importance of a proper driving/racing line and braking.

In fact I would say braking is more important than the accelerator.

A word about passing. Passing was allowed on three straightaways on the track... The main straight between turn 16 and turn 1, between turn 6 and 7 and finally between the esses, and the section call the tunnel..turns 11-12. The pass was initiated by the driver in front by turn signal in the direction being allowed to pass on. So right signal means you pass to the right while the driver in front lifts off the gas to assist the pass.

If a line of cars was building behind a guy who would not allow a pass, the instructors would put out a blue flag at that driver letting them know they need to let a pass occur. If they still would not allow a pass, the black flag would come out and that driver would head to the pits.

They also had radios in the car to communicate with all drivers at the same time if the person was oblivious to the flags. It was a pretty well organized and run system.

In actual racing, most passing takes place in the braking zones and in actual racing most car to car contact takes place in the braking zone. So with $100k cars no one is going to be allowing that. Plus they do not want anyone being injured while "having fun".

All the instructors were very approachable, diplomatic and constructive in their feedback. Now you might think, well, they have to be nice to you. To a point that is true because the course is expensive, and they want people to have a good time, come back and tell their friends about the course.

However, a few drivers heard some very truthful and direct analysis of their driving. The purpose of the class is to improve your skill level and not to show how fast you can make the car go. The cars Porsche makes are really incredible when you consider that we drove these cars at speed IN STOCK FORM with STOCK tires and brakes for multiple days. That's right no modifications. Most production cars cannot stand up to that. In my opinion Porsche deserves a lot of credit for that.

To give an idea of how good these cars are, an instructor mentioned that the traction control and management systems on the Porsches are almost too good. It is so easy for anyone of any skill level to get in one of these cars and drive it at nearly 80% capability without killing themselves simply because of the management system. Meaning that it may give too much confidence to a novice driver to push it harder than they are capable of.

There are 3 more levels of advanced classes offered above the Masters course. Two of the more upper level courses come with certification that allows you to apply for a racing license with SCCA.

Rich Hull did a great job running the course. He has a lot of responsibility on his plate. All of the instructors were very patient and constructive. There were times when he and the other instructors could have lost their cool with some students but they did not and were still able to get a firm message across.

In closing, I would urge anyone wanting to find out what these cars are built for and capable of to attend a Porsche Sport Driving School. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Feel free to ask any questions you have here or PM me if you like.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to know, looking forward to this... next year maybe
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
Glad you enjoyed. I did it in April. Had a blast as well. Would have loved to have driven the GTS. The RS is just perfect for the track, isn't it!??!
Sorry Man, somehow I missed your post.

Yes the GT3RS is perfect for the track and I see that you own one, enjoy in good health!!

Have you done the Masters RS course?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Great recap! Sounds like a fun couple days.

I have stayed at the Grand Bohemian in Birmingham, and can second that it is a very nice hotel. Also, if you have time while you're at Barber, the museum there is great - one of the largest private collections of vintage racing motorcycles in the world, plus some very cool vintage race cars.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:33 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
The GT3RS is sublime.
The GT3 RS is sublime.
The GT3 RS is sublime.
S U B L I M E.
You may be onto something here…

A friend has been badgering me to do this program for the last two years. With Skip Barber filing for ch 11 bankruptcy recently, I'll be making time for this next year. Dirtfish is also on my bucket list to sharpen my reflexes and car control.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:41 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share the review.
So, Masters is a $4400 class and I believe it is available only to those who have already gone through the 2-day $3200. class. I guess I am a tad surprised they had you back on the skid pad in a Masters class?....but from some of the comments it sounds like a few attendees probably would benefit from a return to the skid pad.
Did you notice if others in the group had much track experience other than the 2-day Performance class?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 233 Posts

I am not a fan of Alan Wilson designed race tracks. I've raced at Barber, Miller, and Gingerman.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Sorry Man, somehow I missed your post.

Yes the GT3RS is perfect for the track and I see that you own one, enjoy in good health!!

Have you done the Masters RS course?
I haven't. I'm debating whether to just spend that dough on private coaching.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by GreggT
Thanks for taking the time to share the review.
So, Masters is a $4400 class and I believe it is available only to those who have already gone through the 2-day $3200. class. I guess I am a tad surprised they had you back on the skid pad in a Masters class?....but from some of the comments it sounds like a few attendees probably would benefit from a return to the skid pad.
Did you notice if others in the group had much track experience other than the 2-day Performance class?
They do skidpad work in all the levels as far as I know. The more advanced levels work on a larger dry skidpad drifting the car.

Masters is available to those that have completed the introductory performance driving school or if you can show credentials from another school or HPDEs at the instructors discretion they may let you advance to Masters without the introductory Porsche classes.

Everyone in the class already had some form of experience, some more than others and not just Porsche schools.

As far as fundamentals work, yeah, everyone in the class, myself included, benefited from it.

I've been to the Ford and Porsche performance schools and in all honesty the most problems on the track were from the guys who had the biggest egos usually manifested by the desire to show others how fast they were. My opinion is that when you go there you are trying to build your technique. I don't think anyone there really impresses the instructors and when you are done no one is handing you a contract to a racing team.

Last edited by Driven991; 06-05-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:28 PM
s4vant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the thoughtful recap.
i had the privilige of meeting cass and riding shotgun with him for a few hot laps for charity a few weeks back at historics. i am hoping to attend the beginner course this year.
what did your wife think of the experience?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

This is on my bucket list LOL...
Old 06-05-2017, 04:54 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

OK....appreciate that.
I have a biz trip this fall in the Birmingham area.....trying to decide whether to fit this in. I've been on the track a lot over 25 years....which means I have a lot of bad habits but I did not think the skid pad or driving the SUV would be good use of my time & money. We'll see.

They do skidpad work in all the levels as far as I know. The more advanced levels work on a larger dry skidpad drifting the car.

Masters is available to those that have completed the introductory performance driving school or if you can show credentials from another school or HPDEs at the instructors discretion they may let you advance to Masters without the introductory Porsche classes.

Everyone in the class already had some form of experience, some more than others and not just Porsche schools.

As far as fundamentals work, yeah, everyone in the class, myself included, benefited from it.

I've been to the Ford and Porsche performance schools and in all honesty the most problems on the track were from the guys who had the biggest egos usually manifested by the desire to show others how fast they were. My opinion is that when you go there you are trying to build your technique. I don't think anyone there really impresses the instructors and when you are done no one is handing you a contract to a racing team.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by s4vant
thanks for the thoughtful recap.
i had the privilige of meeting cass and riding shotgun with him for a few hot laps for charity a few weeks back at historics. i am hoping to attend the beginner course this year.
what did your wife think of the experience?
She enjoyed it but the road course speed was not for her. She really liked autocross and was glad she attended.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School Masters Program 6/1-6/2 2017