Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:24 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Is this strictly a Cab issue, or should coupe owners be concerned?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Jshgldstn
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by See U n RearView
Wow, thanks for posting this! I have a 2015 Cab and I should probably look into this to see if there are any stress cracks...

I have the CPO Warranty and wonder if this would be covered?

It should absolutely be covered under warranty. Unfortunately I don't think you can see if there's a problem without dissembling everything to take a look. But I did find this blog on how to do it: http://plenums.blogspot.com/2016/10/...r-spoiler.html
Old 11-17-2017, 12:37 AM
Jshgldstn
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pfan
Is this strictly a Cab issue, or should coupe owners be concerned?
It can happen on Coupes too.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 PM
Jshgldstn
5th Gear

Quick update - I repaired the broken wiring harness for the 3rd brake light in the spoiler using crimp-on connectors and a small length of additional wire to allow for more play and better cable routing. Then I riveted a metal 'L' bracket in place to retain the torsion spring as shown earlier in this thread. There were only two tricky parts to the repair:

1. I put the spoiler down when testing the brake light wiring and then removed it from the car to repair the torsion spring. In the down position, it is impossible to rotate the spring into place. When I hooked the spoiler back up to the wiring harness again it wouldn't raise. So I had to remove the motor and manually raise it. This reduced the tension on the torsion spring to allow me to rivet the 'L' bracket in place. So make sure your spoiler is raised if you're going to attempt this repair.

2. After putting everything back together the spoiler wouldn't activate. Turns out the battery had gotten a bit low as I was working on things and it's some kind of self-preservation mode. I started the car and after about a minute the battery charged enough to allow the spoiler to operate again. Voila! Everything worked perfectly - the spoiler raises and lowers normally and the brake light in the spoiler works again.

Total tab for the repair <$70 and it was only that expensive because I didn't already own a rivet gun or a crimping tool for the electrical connectors. Way better than $3,500 to replace the whole assembly!

The entire job took about 3-4 hours and that includes figuring out how to manually raise the spoiler.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (09-17-2020)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:08 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I got the brake light warning message, took it to the dealer asked them to look at the springs. They tell me the springs are fine but the harness needs to be replaced.

$650 for the job. Tech tells me the next warning will be about the expired warranty.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Jshgldstn
5th Gear

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I got the brake light warning message, took it to the dealer asked them to look at the springs. They tell me the springs are fine but the harness needs to be replaced.

$650 for the job. Tech tells me the next warning will be about the expired warranty.
I also got a $650 quote to fix just the wiring harness. It's an easy DIY repair - just buy a crimping tool and connectors and allocate a couple of hours. If your wiring failed in the same place as mine you don't even need to remove the spoiler from the car to do the repair.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:37 PM
NCThirteen
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to revive this, my spoiler is now sticking up more on the drivers side. I have an appointment on Thursday to have this and other things looked at.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Did a search tonight on “spring rear wing” and found this thread. I have the same exact issue. 2015 GTS Cab. Will get it fixed during my next service as I don’t have ikea parts or riveting experience. Impressed with OPs engineering.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:45 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy
Did a search tonight on “spring rear wing” and found this thread. I have the same exact issue. 2015 GTS Cab. Will get it fixed during my next service as I don’t have ikea parts or riveting experience. Impressed with OPs engineering.
You are still under factory warranty?
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack F
You are still under factory warranty?
It's going to be close. Don't know exact dates.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Two years ago I reported that the dealer had quoted me $650 for a new wiring harness to fix the "brake warning light" problem on my 2012.5 991 C2S.

I should have followed up. On further inspection when I brought it in for fixing, they found a frayed wire, spliced it and sent me on my way, no charge. It has not recurred.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

^ warranty is expired. Will bring it into my dealer. I'm hoping for some good will as it's a known problem.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy
^ warranty is expired. Will bring it into my dealer. I'm hoping for some good will as it's a known problem.
Unfortunately, the 991 is blessed with "known problems." Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but has certainly had it's share of issues.
The following users liked this post:
stevekish1 (10-23-2023)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:02 AM
mdgg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend went for drive today in 2013 991.1 C2S Cabriolet. One half rear wing deployed at speed that resulted in this.... Unable to activate wing again - close or open. Held button down 30 + seconds with no activation or retraction

Spring retainer broken exactly as in previous posts. Un-deployed (drivers side) of wing is the side with the broken spring retainer. Assuming the springs deploy the wing and the centrally located electric motor retracts wing with cable drive.

Has anyone re-built the spoiler drive mechanism on a 991 before?

Greatly appreciate any thoughts on how to retract or deploy this wing manually?

Old 12-15-2019, 01:19 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgg
Friend went for drive today in 2013 991.1 C2S Cabriolet. One half rear wing deployed at speed that resulted in this.... Unable to activate wing again - close or open. Held button down 30 + seconds with no activation or retraction

Spring retainer broken exactly as in previous posts. Un-deployed (drivers side) of wing is the side with the broken spring retainer. Assuming the springs deploy the wing and the centrally located electric motor retracts wing with cable drive.

Has anyone re-built the spoiler drive mechanism on a 991 before?

Greatly appreciate any thoughts on how to retract or deploy this wing manually?
Looking at that just hurts. Holy hell

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Spring