991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler Spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019 | 05:36 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Yikes! Wing looks bent and beyond repair.
Old 12-15-2019 | 03:34 PM
mdgg
Track Day

Quick update. Removed rear wing including both the driver's and passenger side "hinges" that lift the wing (wish I had a part number and proper name but fact is there isn't one). Opened the caps on the worm drive mechanisms - see below. The broken worm shaft is on the un-deployed, drivers side. My guess is first, the spring broke on the drivers side, and then when called into action the worm drive shaft broke trying to raise the uneven, bound wing. Would be interested in your thoughts! Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to source new or used parts for this sub assembly. As stated in prior posts, Porsche only sources complete Drive Unit (991.504.041.03) - give or take $1600. I've included a better picture of the broken plastic hinge housing that captures the spring - drivers side and a picture of the unbroken passenger side.

Old 12-16-2019 | 08:33 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Your 'unbroken' side looks like its about ready to let go as well.
Old 12-16-2019 | 10:09 AM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Default Broken/cracked wing spring assembly

I've also experienced this on my 2016 4S. My indie shop mechanic noticed the broken plastic spring housing on one side of the wing and a cracked housing on the other. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the wing retracting or extending, not even any rattles. Luckily my car was still under warranty and Porsche replace both spring assemblies at no cost to me. I'd suggest if you have your rear bumper off for any reason you take a look at the spring assemblies for signs of cracking. I don't know for sure but suspect if they're cracked and are that way long enough it might lead to premature failure of the worm gear that raises/lowers the wing.
Old 12-16-2019 | 05:01 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

I wonder if it changed for the 991.2? Next time I have that area apart, I am very tempted to install a metal brace with rivets similar to what AzCorona did warranty or not, I would rather not have my car go down for something so preventable.
Old 12-16-2019 | 05:09 PM
pfan
Pro

Any unusual noises during operation prior to failure? Mine seems to have become a bit louder when I raise it after a wash (engine off).
Old 12-16-2019 | 06:26 PM
mdgg
Track Day

No sounds but had noticed that spoiler was not fully retracting.
Old 12-16-2019 | 07:31 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

My 2016 Cab did the exact same thing as Jack F and I drove it to the dealer just like that. They replaced the entire subassembly. All covered by Warranty so I didn't get a price.
Old 12-21-2019 | 06:52 AM
Z00mie
Racer

2014 C4S Coupe, Broken (and repaired) in the exact same way/place. ...
Old 02-28-2020 | 01:18 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Hopefully not completely hijacking/derailing the thread... previous owner had the same failure according to records. Have an annoying rattle coming from the rear. Though it sounds like it's coming from the inside of the car to me, but dealer states it's the spoiler, of course a $2-3k repair. Looking at the twisted spoiler picture from Mdgg, it looks way worse than it did in my head. Does anyone think I have a case for some sort of recourse? I'm outside of warranty of course (2013 4S cab).
Old 02-29-2020 | 11:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
Hopefully not completely hijacking/derailing the thread... previous owner had the same failure according to records. Have an annoying rattle coming from the rear. Though it sounds like it's coming from the inside of the car to me, but dealer states it's the spoiler, of course a $2-3k repair. Looking at the twisted spoiler picture from Mdgg, it looks way worse than it did in my head. Does anyone think I have a case for some sort of recourse? I'm outside of warranty of course (2013 4S cab).
Never hurts to try as they might give you a little Goodwill help. Do you have a relationship with a dealer where you have had some service done? That is about the only positive IMO for using a dealer vice an Indy shop, or doing it yourself of course.
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:48 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

This might be another one of those preventive maintenance items.

What are the measurements of the metal “L” bracket? Would something like this from amazon work? Not sure where else to get pre-bent stainless steel. The one linked below is pre-drilled.
Stainless Steel L brace Stainless Steel L brace
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fnckr
This might be another one of those preventive maintenance items.

What are the measurements of the metal “L” bracket? Would something like this from amazon work? Not sure where else to get pre-bent stainless steel.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JW5ZLTD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yA-wEbHNATYPC]Amazon Stainless Steel bracket
If you get the dimensions you can get "L" brackets at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 03-01-2020 | 08:16 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AzCoronaDog
Well, as I said about the spring, I can only imagine how much Porsche would charge for this complex plastic housing.
And BOTH sides were broken!
So, being the Porsche Pauper that I am, I decided to try and fix it myself.
I had a couple of stainless steel brackets left over from an IKEA coat hook thing, so I cut them as needed, drilled two holes in each, and riveted them in place. So far, seems to be holding fine.

Very nice repair. Still holding up?
Old 03-01-2020 | 08:16 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AzCoronaDog
Well, as I said about the spring, I can only imagine how much Porsche would charge for this complex plastic housing.
And BOTH sides were broken!
So, being the Porsche Pauper that I am, I decided to try and fix it myself.
I had a couple of stainless steel brackets left over from an IKEA coat hook thing, so I cut them as needed, drilled two holes in each, and riveted them in place. So far, seems to be holding fine.

Very nice repair. Still holding up? Could be good to reinforce this prior to breakage but it seems that this is not a very common failure?

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Spring