Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Value

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:37 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a .2 C2 7mt. I like mine for 2 reasons, no.1 the look, no.2 being able to turn it on/off depending on my preference. Also, it sounds different in standard/sport/sport+ which makes it more interesting to me. I am lazy so I had no plan on changing to an aftermarket exhaust so optioned for the PSE was kind of necessary for me.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

PSE is a must option
Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I'd be hard pressed to buy a non-gt Porsche w/o PSE
Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't get a PSE you will be making the vrrom vroom burp burp sound with your mouth, so save your dignity and get it - not cool in a super car!
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (08-31-2021)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Spyharpy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
I passed on PSE with no regrets and not due to $ constraints. Love the sound of the engine without it. I do not care for the gurgles and burbles.

A decided majority here enjoy it and consider it a must have. Just thought I'd give you an alternate view.

D
I feel the same. Not a fan of a loud exhaust nor the burps and crackles it makes. I'm all motor. I want to hear the full sound of the engine, not a fartcan.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

If "not due to $ constraints" you can have it both ways with PSE.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Only you can answer the question as to whether or not PSE is worth the $3K to you. It certainly makes a significant sound difference which some like but others not so much. PSE is one of the many Porsche options which basically will not add any value at trade-in, with the possible exception that it may help you sell the car faster. In my case I ordered the option and would do so again.

+1. Get it if you want it. You really don't get your money back on the options when you sell/trade
Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I owned a 1974 2l 914. It needed a new exhaust in 1987. My trusted wrench talked me into a FabSpeed (or something similar, I think). Imagine, 4 pipes coming out of a 914? The sound could awake the dead. I drove it for 3 months with great embarrassment. Since I was an old college professor, I was the most embarrassed person in the parking lot at my university. Mercifully, someone stopped me on the road in town and bought it on site with cash. I then bought 4 consecutive 911s with pleasant sounds. But, when I sold my #5 Porsche, I bought a 2015 991 GTS. I had no opportunity to drive one since no dealer I called had one in stock. I ordered it with all the standard equipment (including PSE). My neighbors unkindly commented that they could hear when I was coming-and-going. I never drive in town with anything other the "Normal" setting. So, I have lightened up on the accelerator. I only drive in "Sport" or "Sport Plus" when I am in rural areas on the road. Personally, compared to the obtrusive sound of my little 914, the 991 GTS in "Sport" or "Sport Plus" is a melodic tune. I appreciate the tunes which are not as obtrusive as my 914. I do not have to show the people who I am with a blasting sport exhaust. I keep it private. My PSEkeeps me from doing so
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (08-31-2021)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I've driven some 911s with after market exhausts which sounded great, but I wouldn't want the loud exhaust sound 100% of the time. This is the biggest advantage of PSE. You can shut it off when you aren't in the mood to listen to a loud exhaust or when you are getting home in the wee hours of the morning and don't want to wake your neighbors.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
If "not due to $ constraints" you can have it both ways with PSE.
Unless something is different on the .2, this is not true. At least on the .1, turning off the PSE only changes things at low RPMS (i.e., slow speeds around the parking lot or droning on the freeway in 7th). The values still open at higher RPMs and PSE 'comes on'. There is no true 'non-PSE' mode with a PSE exhaust, at least on the .1. When you are driving the car hard, you're getting PSE almost the entire time.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Check out Nick Murray's video on his .2 w/o PSE.
His video is the perfect example of why I would pass on PSE on the .2. His car stills sounds good on hard acceleration, but doesn't have all the fake sounding farts and burbles of the PSE. There's also a video out there with back to back clips of .1 and .2 PSE that really shows the big difference between the two.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
At least on the .1, turning off the PSE only changes things at low RPMS (i.e., slow speeds around the parking lot or droning on the freeway in 7th).
I'm not getting the PSE freeway 7th gear droning on my 991.2 C2, thankfully. There is some wind buffeting with both windows fully down (sunroof delete car), but rolling up one window partially solves the problem, at least up to ~100mph. I am not sold on the sport mode backfires however.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by asia
I'm not getting the PSE freeway 7th gear droning on my 991.2 C2, thankfully. There is some wind buffeting with both windows fully down (sunroof delete car), but rolling up one window partially solves the problem, at least up to ~100mph. I am not sold on the sport mode backfires however.
No, sorry, I didn't mean drone of the exhaust. I mean the only times turning PSE off does anything is when you are either very low in the rev range driving very easy, or cruising down the freeway in 7th at low RPM. In those situations, turning PSE off quiets things down. However, as soon as you wick it up, the valves open anyway, whether you have PSE on or off, and you get the PSE noise. At least, that is the way the .1 works.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

No disrespect to the folks who track their Pcars and/or just love the raw sound of power through their exhaust, but I regret the PSE on my C4S. I enjoy the twisty road I get to drive each day, but my neighbors don't need to hear me do it. The Sport mode backfires are a bit silly, so I configured Individual mode to mostly match Sport mode for the throttle mapping, but disable the exhaust noises. It's loud no matter what when you go wide open, though.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Unless something is different on the .2, this is not true. At least on the .1, turning off the PSE only changes things at low RPMS (i.e., slow speeds around the parking lot or droning on the freeway in 7th). The values still open at higher RPMs and PSE 'comes on'. There is no true 'non-PSE' mode with a PSE exhaust, at least on the .1. When you are driving the car hard, you're getting PSE almost the entire time.
Bottom line is .2 PSE on/off sounds very different. You can have it two very different ways. Whatever "true 'non-PSE' mode" is sounds like opinion.

Quick Reply: PSE Value