Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase CPO after private party sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchase CPO after private party sale?

My question is this: If I buy a car from a private party and that car is still under the original factory warranty. I think that duration is 4 years, correct?
Can I go to a Porsche dealer and purchase an additional warranty = CPO for another 2 or 4 years?
Any idea how much that would cost?
Old 05-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that you can. You have to take it to a dealer for inspection and they'll give you a list of things needs to be done in order to bring it up to CPO status (and I'm guessing they'll be a little more strict with this list than they are when certifying a car that they've taken in trade, etc.). I think you can only do it when the current warranty is about to expire.

Keep in mind that they will likely choose to enforce the notion that these service items must be performed at an authorized Porsche service center (for example, it doesn't matter what work the prior owner may have already had done at an indy, the dealer is technically allowed to tell you that if an authorized SC didn't do the work, it didn't happen for certification purposes).

If I recall properly, the cost is something like $2,500 plus the cost of the service items needed to bring the car up to date. I'm not sure if this is negotiable.

Since a general inspection is also part of the certification process and is thus a risk item that could bar the car from certification altogether, it might not be a bad idea to have the dealer assessment done as part of your PPI process so you know if the car can even be given CPO status before you purchase it.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by FĂźnfer
My question is this: If I buy a car from a private party and that car is still under the original factory warranty. I think that duration is 4 years, correct?
Can I go to a Porsche dealer and purchase an additional warranty = CPO for another 2 or 4 years?
Any idea how much that would cost?

No CPO. Car has to be sold through Porsche dealer.

They have a Porsche branded third party warranty they can offer.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_J
I believe that you can. You have to take it to a dealer for inspection and they'll give you a list of things needs to be done in order to bring it up to CPO status (and I'm guessing they'll be a little more strict with this list than they are when certifying a car that they've taken in trade, etc.). I think you can only do it when the current warranty is about to expire.

Keep in mind that they will likely choose to enforce the notion that these service items must be performed at an authorized Porsche service center (for example, it doesn't matter what work the prior owner may have already had done at an indy, the dealer is technically allowed to tell you that if an authorized SC didn't do the work, it didn't happen for certification purposes).

If I recall properly, the cost is something like $2,500 plus the cost of the service items needed to bring the car up to date. I'm not sure if this is negotiable.

Since a general inspection is also part of the certification process and is thus a risk item that could bar the car from certification altogether, it might not be a bad idea to have the dealer assessment done as part of your PPI process so you know if the car can even be given CPO status before you purchase it.

This is incorrect information
Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the only way to do it would be to sell the car to the dealer and have them certify it and sell it back to you. They are going to want to get paid for that transaction. It will still need to be brought up to spec regarding service and the CPO checklist.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This is incorrect information
Even if the car is still under the original warranty period? I better speak with my SA...he told me that it could be done. I wonder if he was talking about a 3rd party service.

OP - I apologize if I was incorrect. Probably best to check directly with a local dealer.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You canNOT purchase CPO - you can purchase a warranty. All warranties are not created equal.

If a SA told you that then he is wrong - either by being misinformed or unscrupulous.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I think the only way to do it would be to sell the car to the dealer and have them certify it and sell it back to you. They are going to want to get paid for that transaction. It will still need to be brought up to spec regarding service and the CPO checklist.
Cheaper to get a 3rd party warranty...
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a warranty, what you need is to go to a porsche dealer and buy the extended warranty. If you want bumper-to-bumper coverage you must go with the platinum warranty. I got my 911 2012 991 C2S from a VW dealer and purchased a 5 year bumper-to-bumper for $3,800.

Not cheap, but for 5 years worries free it's not that bad. Any repairs out of warranty cost a lot of money on these cars.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:47 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by alainpp
If you want a warranty, what you need is to go to a porsche dealer and buy the extended warranty. If you want bumper-to-bumper coverage you must go with the platinum warranty. I got my 911 2012 991 C2S from a VW dealer and purchased a 5 year bumper-to-bumper for $3,800.

Not cheap, but for 5 years worries free it's not that bad. Any repairs out of warranty cost a lot of money on these cars.
Why not just invest the $3,800 and use it if something does happen?
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (03-28-2021)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 AM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I thought about it and since this is my first Porsche, I didn't know how expensive repairs may be. I know these cars are build very well, but any major component failure would be way more than 3800 just in labor. A simple headlight burns out or a radio replacement would be at least half that. My local dealer charges $480 for an oil change, you can tell how expensive labor would be for me.

They also gave me some extra stuff, like Porsche all weather mats, Porsche battery Maintainer / charger, front plate mount that you can hide with a remote control (installation included), Porsche calendar (the best of all freebies).
Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

I thought about it and since this is my first Porsche, I didn't know how expensive repairs may be. I know these cars are build very well, but any major component failure would be way more than 3800 just in labor. A simple headlight burns out or a radio replacement would be at least half that. My local dealer charges $480 for an oil change, you can tell how expensive labor would be for me.

They also gave me some extra stuff, like Porsche all weather mats, Porsche battery Maintainer / charger, front plate mount that you can hide with a remote control (installation included), Porsche calendar (the best of all freebies).
480 for an oil change is stupid.... 300 is the going rate... which is also ludicrous but somehow accepted.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience tells me that the price of an oil change has nothing to do with the actual cost to perform the service. On my BMW 535 an oil change was over $200, on a Maserati an oil change is close to $1,000. Essentially dealers that sell expensive cars figure that if you can afford an expensive car you can afford an expensive oil change.
PS the average oil change for Honda's and Toyota's using synthetic oil is about $60. If using regular oil the price drops to about $30.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:22 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
One trip to replace a failed changeover solenoid will eat up that budget
Old 06-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

My local dealer charges $480 for an oil change, you can tell how expensive labor would be for me.
I tried to see where you were located as I have a seemingly good service center that works on a lot of Porsches for a fraction of the price near me in Virginia. I know of a place in Kansas City, too, if they are still there. The one in KC was started by a former Porsche mechanic and he does a huge business. Ask around.

Quick Reply: Purchase CPO after private party sale?