Sponsored by:

Purchase CPO after private party sale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:22 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I tried to see where you were located as I have a seemingly good service center that works on a lot of Porsches for a fraction of the price near me in Virginia. I know of a place in Kansas City, too, if they are still there. The one in KC was started by a former Porsche mechanic and he does a huge business. Ask around.
I'm in NY / North Jersey.
The following users liked this post:
downtroddengoat (02-24-2024)
Old 06-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I had a farm house above Blairstown NJ in Hardwick township. I was lucky to find milk up there, so no help from me on Porsche service for that area.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:42 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I had a farm house above Blairstown NJ in Hardwick township. I was lucky to find milk up there, so no help from me on Porsche service for that area.
That's like 80 miles west of me. Thank you so much for trying to help.

About the oil change, they told me that it was $150 for parts and $330 for the labor. I will have to check some youtube videos and change my own oil.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by alainpp

About the oil change, they told me that it was $150 for parts and $330 for the labor. I will have to check some youtube videos and change my own oil.
I can get the oil and filter for about $85 - $90. I've got to believe a dealer's cost will be less. The actual time for changing oil is no more than 30 minutes. So even if they charge you an hour labor, the charge should be no more than $300. That's for the real world. In NY/NJ I expect it will be much higher, and you confirmed that.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alainpp

There is a place in MAHWAH that I use, much cheaper than dealership and great service
Old 06-03-2017, 05:49 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Back to warranty choices: I'm considering buying a 2012 or 2013 991 cab, and of course most of those are now past their 4-year factory warranty. I agree with those here who say that Certification can only be done in conjunction with a dealer selling the car. [My salesman told me recently that it now costs dealers about $4000, not $2500. I believe that is what Porsche charges the dealer for the CPO extended warranty.] Also, at least in my past experience, 3rd party warranties typically have to be purchased before the expiry date of the factory OR CPO warranty. I purchased a 3rd party platinum warranty a day or two before my CPO warranty expired on my 06 C2S in 2012, and it gave me great peace of mind, and I was able to get a pro-rated refund when I sold the car to my dealer 2 years later.

Since some of the 991 cars I'm looking at are not Certified and have gone past their factory warranty coverage, I don't believe I can get a 3rd party extended warranty (at least at an affordable cost). Assuming I'm right, I'm curious about the repair history on the 991's that are over 4 years old and have 30k-50k miles on them? In other words, how comfortable or uncomfortable are you folks with not having a warranty on your cars?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by KeninBlaine
Back to warranty choices: I'm considering buying a 2012 or 2013 991 cab, and of course most of those are now past their 4-year factory warranty. I agree with those here who say that Certification can only be done in conjunction with a dealer selling the car. [My salesman told me recently that it now costs dealers about $4000, not $2500. I believe that is what Porsche charges the dealer for the CPO extended warranty.] Also, at least in my past experience, 3rd party warranties typically have to be purchased before the expiry date of the factory OR CPO warranty. I purchased a 3rd party platinum warranty a day or two before my CPO warranty expired on my 06 C2S in 2012, and it gave me great peace of mind, and I was able to get a pro-rated refund when I sold the car to my dealer 2 years later.

Since some of the 991 cars I'm looking at are not Certified and have gone past their factory warranty coverage, I don't believe I can get a 3rd party extended warranty (at least at an affordable cost). Assuming I'm right, I'm curious about the repair history on the 991's that are over 4 years old and have 30k-50k miles on them? In other words, how comfortable or uncomfortable are you folks with not having a warranty on your cars?
My comfort level would depend upon the prior owner and of course the car's repair history. How was the car driven? Did the owner routinely accelerate to red line as soon as pulled out of his driveway or did he wait until the engine reached normal operating temperatures? Was the owner a track junkie and was the car highly modified for track use? Was the car maintained according to Porsche recommendations?
911s which were driven sanely and were well maintained are at a low risk of incurring high maintenance costs. I always buy new but if I ever bought used, I'd lean to making my purchase from a private seller rather than from a dealer, especially a non-Porsche dealer.

Quick Reply: Purchase CPO after private party sale?