Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who've had their exhaust tips ceramic or powder coated...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^sounds like we have the same - black tips, plus black l.plate holder - I went as far as getting a black l.plate (small size). Looks great - finishes the car off.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:33 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,476 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Out of curiosity - has anyone tried BBQ paint?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ no but I had heard it didn't have both the "right" level of temperature and scratch longevity. My tips were covered with the same material used to coat turbo charger housings.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

^^ Correct. The "BBQ-special" finish will stain if you try to clean it, and it is much more susceptible to scratching.

I used to work at a powdercoating place out of high-school... most PC melts at around 300deg.F and curing is done at around 400deg. F. You don't want to PC anything that is going to see 300deg. or higher. The rear tips get pretty toasty (hotter with the turbos), but I don't think it's reaching that 300 mark.

That being said, ceramic is unequivocally the best option in terms of finish durability and heat management.

Here's a little teaser to the tips on our new exhaust with ceramic tips. Listing link.

-Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
^^ Correct. The "BBQ-special" finish will stain if you try to clean it, and it is much more susceptible to scratching.

I used to work at a powdercoating place out of high-school... most PC melts at around 300deg.F and curing is done at around 400deg. F. You don't want to PC anything that is going to see 300deg. or higher. The rear tips get pretty toasty (hotter with the turbos), but I don't think it's reaching that 300 mark.

That being said, ceramic is unequivocally the best option in terms of finish durability and heat management.

Here's a little teaser to the tips on our new exhaust with ceramic tips. Listing link.

-Andrew
Will GMG ceramic coat tips for people? I'm local...

Quick Reply: Question for those who've had their exhaust tips ceramic or powder coated...