Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4 --> GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017 | 11:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I went from GT4 to .2 Turbo.

Best move I ever made. I absolutely love the car. Total blast to drive. FOR ME, it's the complete package - I'm able to exploit it and enjoy it more frequently in real world driving, as opposed to the GT4 which was really an event type car. The bonus is the much improved practicality - the 911 is a car you can actually use as a...car. Not a toy that you take out on the weekends.

.2 GTS is definitely more similar to the Turbo than the GT4. If my experience is a guide, I think it's a good move.

Zero regrets.
Old 05-17-2017 | 12:12 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Not much to add to what others have said but one of the deciding factors for me on the GTS over the GT3 or any of the GT cars was the back seat. We have 2 girls and they like/need to come along on trips in the Porsche. The practical all around usability of a 911 over the GT cars is nothing you can ignore but it is all about what is important to you.
Old 05-17-2017 | 12:20 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated. I contacted local dealers. See what happens. Some have some coming in soon others have some allocations still open.

Last edited by Scottykenneth; 05-17-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2017 | 12:23 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

The only issue with a 911 (GT car) is that if you get the LWB which don't articulate or fold in the 991 - getting to the rear area behind the seats is a HUGE PITA.

We got our first 911: a 991RS. Luv it. Fun to drive. But taking a trip in it would be a stretch because one must contort to reach the area behind the seats. If the seats folded it would be so much easier. This never occurred to us, and we felt the LWB seat is the "correct" seat for the car - but in hindsight we might prefer an 18 way seat instead - not only for comfort but for accessibility to the rear area.

Of course we don't have back seats but there's a lot of room for stuff. It's just not easy to access.

I LUV LUV LUV my GT4. Soooo easy to travel in. I can get all my track gear in it and never have anything on the center section over the engine. Between the front boot and rear hatch there is plenty of room.

I also think it boils down to whether you prefer mid or rear engine. I love mid-engine, especially for the track. The rear steering is cool but give me a Cayman all day long. But that's me. I know lots of folks love the 911 platform and it has stood the test of time.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-17-2017 | 02:00 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Only reason I would sell is if you need a backseat. The GTS (if it is a 991.1) may sound a little better too.

J
Old 05-17-2017 | 10:14 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

I went GT4 (used mostly on the track) to manual transmission 991.2 Targa 4S. The GT4 was the better car from a track perspective. I don't think the GT4 is "faster" but for my needs and uses I couldn't be more happy with the Targa 4S. Using street cars for the track (GT3 RS and GT4) got old and expensive and dangerous(safety devices). I am making the move to a dedicated track car which allows me to use the 911 as a street car.

Admittedly part of the reason was that I couldn't use the GT4 with both my wife and daughter in the car so the GT4 pretty much only saw the track and a few back road drives before I sold it. Another huge factor for me besides the back seats is the top down...makes everything feel faster at lower speeds. GT4 and 991.2 Coupe have to be pushed hard on the street to feel fun. Esp the GT4 with it's tall gearing and no power below 5000RPM.

The suspension on the 991.2 is suited to the street...normal mode is comfortable and sport suspension is great when you want it. Can't get over how well this car rides on bumpy roads with 20" wheels in normal mode.

The ability to drive quickly without going over 5000RPM in the twin turbo 3.0 engine is great for around town too, but like an NA engine when you want to rev it out it makes power all the way to 7000. Again this is just suited so much better for normal roads.

Not sure if this helps. If you are looking for a bit more comfort and drivablity on the street you'll be thrilled with the 991.2 esp the GTS.
Old 05-17-2017 | 11:35 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Anything helps guys. Thank you!! Just waiting to hear from dealers. In the meantime if anyone knows anyone looking for a super clean, low mileage (1900) w LWBS's. Tell em to hit me up. Thanks again. Keep the comments coming. Pics would be awesome
Old 05-17-2017 | 12:07 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

I don't think you'll regret going to a GTS. Its very practical for a sports car. I use it to take my son to school and i use it frequently at the track. Best of both worlds. Its excellent on track! I absolutely love my GTS (991.1). I wouldn't have any other 911 based on the fact that i want back seats.
Old 05-17-2017 | 12:38 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

While not a Gt4, I passed over an ordered '16 Cayman GTS and went for my 991.1 (Sport Design)

Rear seats, ride quality, looks, and frankly prestige won over mid-engine handling and more nimble feel.
Old 05-17-2017 | 01:13 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

As others said, the GT4 is more of an "event car". I also have a 991.1 C2S with PDK, and prefer driving it in most situations. The GT4 is awesome on mountain roads and the track, but the 911 is a better "car".

The 911 can be comfortable or sporty as needed. It definitely feels more like a luxury GT in comparison to the GT4, but it still makes me smile every time I drive it

We realized that we actually used the rear seats on the 911 quite often.

It all depends on what you need and what are your use cases. My trigger: after getting out of the GT4, every other car handled like garbage. Also, I really like the 911's looks. Fortunately I can afford both. I track the GT4 5-6 times a year, and use the 911 for everything else
Old 05-17-2017 | 01:53 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

I am lucky enough to have a Spyder and 991.1 GTS Cab. Even though they have the same engine, they're wildly different cars.

The Spyder is an awesome little sports car, the GTS is otherworldly. It feels more like you fly it than drive it, the way it vacuums up the road.

The GTS is better for everyday because PDK and comfier ride, but sometimes only that stick shift will do.

The Spyder is better going into corners, the GTS is better coming out.

The GTS is noticeably faster, but when I'm driving the Spyder I don't care.

The GTS is modified because it always felt like it could handle more power. The Spyder is stock because it is perfect.

The Spyder sounds better than the GTS.

But if I could only have one of them as my only car it would be the GTS.

---

I'm guessing you're thinking about a .2 GTS, and I imagine that many of these things will simply be more true for that than for the .1. It will certainly be faster, more comfortable and quieter.

Good luck. Splendid decision to be making!
Old 05-17-2017 | 01:54 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJAJ8YG4

Thoughts? Am i missing anything really important?
Old 05-17-2017 | 03:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

I went from GT4 to GTS and aside from a LITTLE bit of the analog thrill out, I'm WAY happier with the GTS as an overall sports car honesty. Granted if you do the GTS, PDK is great, the manual will disappoint you coming from the GT4, just FYI.
Old 05-17-2017 | 03:40 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Really? Whys that? Also been calling dealers. Allocations are really tough to come by.
Old 05-17-2017 | 07:29 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

So think its a done deal guys. Couple build questions

1.I see it's an option for the 4 light headlights. Not really a fan. Just like the daytime led across the two bottom lights. This will occur if I DONT choose the premium headlights right?

2. Smoking package. Had it in my GT4 but never used it. Will an iphone 7 fit in this little cubby area if I dont chose the smoking pckage. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: GT4 --> GTS