991 quicker steering upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I think that's only with RWS.
No, it has nothing to do with RWS. It has to do with the steering rack. The .2 has more direct steering/ratio than the .1. Porsche has publicly stated this. The new steering was also in the 981 Spyder.

Last edited by Archimedes; 05-19-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

As I said, the rack that Porsche supplies with RWS steer is about ten percent quicker. Whether it could be transplanted into a non-RWS car is another matter.
This is not true. The standard .2 steering ratio is 10 percent more direct than the .1. IIRC, Porsche transferred the steering ratio from the Turbo across the entire product line.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This is not true. The standard .2 steering ratio is 10 percent more direct than the .1. IIRC, Porsche transferred the steering ratio from the Turbo across the entire product line.
Below is the only mention of steering in the press kit for the 991.2. It states that the steering ratio is quickened by 10 percent only with RWS. If you have different information, please present it.

"When equipped with the optional active rear axle steering, the 911 Carrera S exhibits excellent cornering dynamics similar to those of the 911 Turbo and the 911 GT3, which are equipped with this feature as standard. The system significantly improves agility in tight corners, stability during high-speed lane changes and the maneuverability of the car in city traffic. If the driver enters a corner at speeds below 31 miles per hour, the front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions. Effectively, this is similar to shortening the car’s wheelbase. As a result, the car can be guided through corners with reduced steering input. Additionally, the turning radius is reduced by 1.6 feet to 35.1 feet. At higher speeds, the operating principle of the active rear wheel steering is reversed; above 50 miles per hour, the front and rear wheels are turned in the same direction, which has a similar effect to lengthening the wheelbase. The result: greater stability and more spontaneous and harmonious lane changes due to the faster build-up of lateral forces at the rear axle. Between 31 and 50 miles per hour, the wheels steer in the opposite or same direction, depending on what the particular driving situation requires.

The active rear-wheel steering is operated by two electro-mechanical actuators on the left and right sides of the rear axle instead of conventional toe control arms. These allow the steering angle of the rear wheels to be varied by up to approximately two degrees, depending on vehicle speed. By comparison, a steering angle of two degrees at the front wheels is comparable to turning the steering wheel 32 degrees from the center position. The high lateral force potential of the steered rear axle made it possible to make the steering ratio 10 percent more direct on-center, further enhancing agility."
Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

That section only relates to the RWS element, nothing to do with the steering ratio changes which Porsche doesn't put in a press kit. Do a five minute Google search, it's been discussed at length.

Here's discussion of it in the Spyder.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...er-test-review

There are YouTube videos out there with reviewers discussing it on the .2 Carrera as well.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

The Car and Driver article is about the Boxster, not the 911. And that increase int he steering ratio IS mentioned in the Boxster press kit (see below), as you would expect. There is no such reference in the 991.2 press kit. Do you have any other evidence that suggests the 911 also got this change?

Ten percent more direct: steering adopted from 911 Turbo improves handling

The electromechanical steering system, which is ten percent more direct, makes the 718 Boxster even more agile and easier to handle during spirited driving and in traffic. The new model incorporates the steering gear of the 911 Turbo with its quicker ratio. Power Steering Plus is available as an option. It reduces steering effort at low speeds while maintaining a reassuring level of stability at higher speeds.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The Car and Driver article is about the Boxster, not the 911. And that increase int he steering ratio IS mentioned in the Boxster press kit (see below), as you would expect. There is no such reference in the 991.2 press kit. Do you have any other evidence that suggests the 911 also got this change?
Go on YouTube and watch the leading reviews of the .2. It was mentioned in a number of them. I don't have time to do it. However, having owned a .1 with the old rack and the Spyder with the new rack, I can tell you it's absolutely noticeable. And when I test drove a .2 (without RWS), I immediately noticed the improved steering in the .2.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

I think you are conflating comments about 991.2s with RWS and the standard car. I've read most of the major reviews of the 991.2 and watched several videos, and yours is the first mention I've ever heard of the non-RWS car having quicker steering.

Unless you can provide some evidence that contradicts the 991.2 press kit, I believe you are mistaken.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe Valvefloat991 is correct. Also of interest: Back to back experience between 991.1 driven into the dealer and an hour later driving a new 991.2S with RWS out was immediately noticeable. A quick U-turn confirmed the change is substantial. Later on the road home observed that driving the S with RWS is no car to try texting while driving! If you even think about doing anything other than driving you will likely regret it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:33 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K9PJ/4
I believe Valvefloat991 is correct.
Yes.

The press.porsche.com/models/911 document "2017 911 Carrera and Carrera S Technical Specifications" here gives different steering ratios for cars with and without rear-axle steering.

I know you may disagree, but for some reason 2017 cars without RWS, PTV, nor PDCC feel "better" and "lighter" to me. Maybe this is because I am acclimated to my GT3 which does not have them, nor did the formula cars I raced a while ago.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

The market for a "quick steering" 991 is about zero - there is no business to be had in that aftermarket category so no one is going to spend any time on it to develop.

If you want quicker steering, put on more narrow front tires/wheels, that will do the trick along with a smaller diameter steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 991 quicker steering upgrade?