Moving C2GTS from warm to cold climates

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving C2GTS from warm to cold climates

Hello all,
There's an off chance that I need to move '15 C2 GTS from Georgia, where I use high-perf summer tires year round, to Colorado. I searched the forum for existing/similar posts but didn't get an exact match.

I''m concerned whether i need to consider selling C2(GT)S (and/or possibly exchanging it for 4S) or whether by putting winter/snow tires (for when appropriate) life will be good again?

Would love to hear opinions from fellow C2'ers who drive in inhumanely cold conditions such as those which exist in Colorado, Minnesota etc.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:46 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

I live in Colorado (Durango, at higher elevation than Denver and on the edge of high mountains and awesome roads). In the past, I have lived in warmer (Houston) and colder (Anchorage) locations.

Unless you are determined to drive in all winter conditions (and must get through, no matter what) I think 2WD and good tires will be plenty good 90% of the time. In Alaska I drove a C4, and had studded snow tires all around. In Colorado I drive a 991.2 C2, with two sets of wheels.

The big challenge in Colorado, 2WD or 4WD, is keeping the tire mounting in sync with the weather. For example, things warmed up here by mid April, so I put the summer tires on. Then last week, when getting ready for a drive to Denver, the forecast turned cold again, so I put the winter tires back on. Good choice, since we had some light snow, and very cold temps, on the way (and some more snow coming maybe this week). Of course, at some time soon I will have to put the summer tires back on.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 968 Posts

I live west of Denver in the foothills at about 8,000 feet of elevation. I put winter tires on all of our cars in mid-October, and I put my summer tires back on in mid-May. I don't drive the 911 in really nasty conditions; I have a truck for that. I do, however, like to drive it on cold, dry days in the winter months. I believe that proper winter tires are all you need. The weight of the engine over the drive wheels, coupled with proper winter tires will do the job.

I recommend a set of dedicated wheels for each set of tires. My summers are scheduled to go on this week, although we have snow in the forecast for Thursday.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:50 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I live in Golden, just west of Denver and my 2017 C2 is my daily driver. I also have a set of mounted Pirelli Sottozero snow tires and they perform very well in the snow and cold--not that it's all that cold around here.

Other than days with snow deep enough to transform a 911 into a snowplow, you'll do find out here with snow tires.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Bunner
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to drive the GTS regularly in Colorado get winter tires. Depending on where you are in Colorado the snow melts pretty quickly after storms, but cold temperatures are the issue. Summer tires don't have much grip in the cold plus there is the risk of cracking (per Pirelli, but I don't have direct knowledge of this happening).

I live in Evergreen west of Denver (same as Dennis C) and keep summer tires on the C2S year-round. It stays in the garage if the roads are bad or it's too cold. The SUV goes out instead.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 968 Posts

If you plan to drive the car regularly in the winter, especially on the interstate highways, then you should consider a clear bra. Colorado uses magnesium chloride on the interstates during big storms, but they use gravel in copious amounts throughout the winter. As a result, there is typically quite a bit of gravel on the shoulders and even on the highway. When I drove my 996 as my daily driver, the nose became "sand blasted" pretty quickly.

I don't have a clear bra on my 991, but it's not a daily driver. When I drive it on the interstate, I'm very careful not to get too close to the car ahead of me.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

You do need winter tires.

If I lived there I would have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. An incredible AS tire. Nothing beats a winter tire in snow but the A/S is as close to an all year tire as you will get and much better for mornings all year in that climate.

I bet the turbo cars show a huge gain over NA up there too with the altitude.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 would be all you need.

Quick Reply: Moving C2GTS from warm to cold climates