Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 991.2 GTS - will be doing European delivery - best discount to shoot for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:04 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ordering a 991.2 GTS - will be doing European delivery - best discount to shoot for?

Looking for recent orders to get an idea of what to target.

Will be ~$140,000 build.

I know Euro delivery costs the dealership some $$$.

Any recent experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hey Jason:

I hope to see you at Road America (with Josh and Mr. S.) in September again!

Lucky us, we have like 7 local dealerships to fight for our custom order bizz. You should be able to get 4%. Some might be as aggressive as 8%.

Also be willing to go to Wisconsin (not that far from you) or even the guy in the Quad Cities. Your buddies in Springfield won't be aggressive, but you can try.

I'd say find your best deal, then give Orland Park your last shot to beat it. Talk to Bob B. there.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Hey there!

I'm at 5% now including Euro Delivery which is about $3000 from what I understand.

So that's 7% if I were to take local delivery - not too bad.

Wanted to get a feel for what others are negotiating.

I'm going to make some more calls for sure!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I'm going to make some more calls for sure!
That's one of he great things about doing a custom order; it "commoditizes" a luxury/value item. It's the same build for everyone bidding on your business. Let the lowest price and best salesperson win the deal.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:54 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Chicago purchase and European delivery also. In my experience, European delivery decreases your leverage with price negotiation (but I'd do it again in a heartbeat). It supposedly costs the dealership 3K, which they can semi make back with the additional allocation they're given.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure about Porsche, but at BMW the European Delivery invoice and MSRP are lower than the regular invoice and MSRP. When I did European Delivery on my BMW I got close to 15% off regular MSRP. And Lufthansa had a special with free companion ticket. It was a no brainer!!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would have done ED but the VAT tax killed my deal. I was used to getting $500 to $1000 over dealers' invoice at BMW plus the 7% ED discount. Thank you BMW for allowing me to get into my dream car. Don't get me wrong, I am still a BMW loyal customer!

I would ask for 8% discount on ED and settle for 7% as your last offer. The $3000 is irrelevant since like someone mentioned the dealer gets to replace the car with an extra allocation that they can sell at full price.

If you do European Delivery make Munich your base and then pick up the car in Stuttgart and head out and visit Bavaria.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the great advice.

I did not realize they will get a replacement car and this would not count as one of their normal allocations.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trucheli
I would have done ED but the VAT tax killed my deal. I was used to getting $500 to $1000 over dealers' invoice at BMW plus the 7% ED discount. Thank you BMW for allowing me to get into my dream car. Don't get me wrong, I am still a BMW loyal customer!

I would ask for 8% discount on ED and settle for 7% as your last offer. The $3000 is irrelevant since like someone mentioned the dealer gets to replace the car with an extra allocation that they can sell at full price.

If you do European Delivery make Munich your base and then pick up the car in Stuttgart and head out and visit Bavaria.
Stuttgart is currently not an option for European delivery due to construction. Leipzig only. Highly, highly doubt you'll get anywhere near 7% off.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:35 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mb1
Stuttgart is currently not an option for European delivery due to construction. Leipzig only. Highly, highly doubt you'll get anywhere near 7% off.
I will update once the deal is done!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by mb1
It all depends on your knowledge about the car business and negotiation skills.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trucheli
It all depends on your knowledge about the car business and negotiation skills.
I totally agree and I admittedly am not a hard negotiator. That said, I'd like to hear from anyone who's bought a relatively hot 991 @ 7% off with European delivery.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I totally agree and I admittedly am not a hard negotiator. That said, I'd like to hear from anyone who's bought a relatively hot 991 @ 7% off with European delivery.
The dealer can't wait to have you and swallow you at once!

Hopefully others in a similar situation will be able to help you. I bought mine off the lot new but prior year's model with a punched warranty (4 month loss) but scored 23% off.

You're buying a new, hot car and the timing is not on your side, waiting will help but unsure if that's an option for you....

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:29 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
The dealer can't wait to have you and swallow you at once!

Hopefully others in a similar situation will be able to help you. I bought mine off the lot new but prior year's model with a punched warranty (4 month loss) but scored 23% off.

You're buying a new, hot car and the timing is not on your side, waiting will help but unsure if that's an option for you....

Good luck and keep us posted.
I'm not the OP. I bought mine a year ago. 3% off with European delivery. I was fine with my transaction. In general, I'm not interested in trying to "beat" anyone during a negotiation and I'm not that concerned about the last few dollars on the table.
BTW, I agree with you. I don't think that the OP will get 7% off at this time, but all the more power to him/her if he/she's able to.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:58 PM
trucheli
Pro

My 2015 991.1 GTS was purchased in August 2015, the car had 116 miles on the clock and was the only GTS on the lot. I was able to secure a 7% discount plus the tax deduction for trading in my 2015 M4 with 6000 miles. The Dealer has BMW, Audi and Porsche brands. I had a ten year relationship with the sales manager who approved my deal. IMHO it is very important to develop a long term relationship with the dealership in order to be able to get the best deal possible. I am in sales and I do not nickel and dime my deals as a buyer nor as a seller. 7% is not very common for a brand new car but it can be done. If you get 5% consider it a fair deal.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 991.2 GTS - will be doing European delivery - best discount to shoot for?